Installing UCAS

packie88

Alrighty so i got some new rough coutnry UCAS and am looking at installing them today or tommorow and i serched around on the website and was looking for walkthrough or tips and couldnt find any. so i was wondering if any one had any tips or knew of a walkthrough around.

my one main question is do i have to loosen the torsion bars it says i should but they are connected to the LCAS so im not sure if i need to.

my one main question is do i have to loosen the torsion bars it says i should but they are connected to the LCAS so im not sure if i need to.

I had my stock UCA's off at one point, and didn't have to loosen tension on the T-bars at all. Just pop out the upper ball joint, remove the shock, and unbolt the spindle from the frame.

What Simon said ^^^

remove bolts holding in balljoint. Then remove the bolts holding in the UCA spindle. Remove the nuts and washers holding in spindle in the UCAs. Then torch off the rubber bushings to get the spindle out.

DO NOT TRY AND BANG OUT THE SPINDLE FROM THE UCA! YOU WILL MUSHROOM THE SPINDLE THREADS AND FOREVER DAMAGE THE SPINDLE!

If I recall correctly, you need to support the lower control arm if you do not ease tension on the torsion bar. The stop to limit downward travel is on the UCA, so if you release the upper ball joint from the spindel without something under the LCA, it will pop downward. In a dramatic fashion.

The UCA spindle bushings are pretty tough to remove. The popular way is to burn them with a torch and scrape at the goo with a screwdriver until you can get the spindle out of the UCA.

What I did was find a drill bit as thick as the bushing wall, just big enough to fit between the UCA and bushing sleeve. Then drill a whole bunch of holes through each bushing wall removing as much bushing material as you can. Once that's done, spin the nut back on the end of the spindle to protect the threads and whack it on the driveway. It should pop right out. The holes you drill will allow the bushing to compress and fall in on itself and relieve the presure holding it in the UCA.

Worked for me. :aok:

i used my grinder to get part way through the bushings, then vise grips and a torch....that was the hardest part....then I think I used a bench vise to press the spindles out. be careful with the tiny bolts that you need to un-do on top of the ball joints, I broke one off but the rest are holding it just fine. (lube them up first)

Edited by govols74n

I've always just used a propane torch. Lay it on it's side and let 'er burn...they'll come out in a little while. ;)

Other than that, install is simple. Unbolt, remove, replace, bolt up. Be aware that many people have problems with removing the UCA spindle bolts, they're cranked on there pretty tight. After you get them out, it would probably be advisable to at least clean the threads with a wire brush and WD-40. I'd also attempt to clean out the holes on the frame with some WD-40. Use a jack under the LCA if you don't want to mess with the t-bars. Get a balljoint puller instead of a pickle fork, they're the same damn price at Harbor Freight. You could also borrow one free from CarQuest/most parts stores if I'm not mistaken. Call around. The puller works much more predictably and safely.