lockers

milehighcowboy

hahahahahaha.......... no chance.

Ok, sorry. Best bet would be a factory LSD, or buy an aftermarket locker. Other than that on a 92, nada, sorry. The rears has a few options (barely) if you hunt around, front I think only one or 2 I think (ARB? LSD swap-in, can't remember). Anyways, its been covered many times, search is your friend.

Edited by Mr. Pickles

ok for an LSD how much help will it add.

&

what would welding the spider gears do to my ride? i am not too convered with it. going round corners. driving in 2wd. snow driving. raing. puddles. mud. and does any one have pics of a welded spider so i can see what i am welding to gether exactly. and where.

ARB is the only company that makes a locker for the R200 fronts. IIRC, about $700-$800 for the locker and compressor. Or you could buy a LSD for the front from Calmini for about $450 or use the LSD rear carrier from a 87-89 300ZX turbo but fat chance ever finding one of those.

I don't know about endless but I only know of 3: ARB, lockrite and Detroit. Good luck finding a Detroit though.

I sent a parts requst yesterday for a h233b with factory lockers and disc brakes and got 7 e-mails from companys that have them. the cheapest was $325-$350 with warrant (1 year). If interested pm me. I dont know how to link yet. And I will get back to you tomorrow.I have to get up early to finish CAT rebuild. So good night and good luck.

Distributors for the same parts, or what? There CAN'T be 7 different products available and nobody knows about more than 3.

Also, the H233B changes axle spline count after 95 and then again for different vehicles(X, Frontier, Pathfinder)...I think. The locker would have to be for the pre-96 H233B.

A locker in the front of a otherwise stock Pathfinder would wreck the front end in no time. Not for the faint of heart, in other words. ;)

My old pathy is sitting in a junk yard somewhere with a rear locker... Good luck finding it tho. :P I looked for it for a while after I bought my current pathy.

The cheapest locker you'll find IIRC is on ebay being sold by rockyroadoutfitters in there ebay store. That's where I bought my new locker that I have now. They even had it shipped to me pretty quick. They don't stock'em, they just have them drop shipped from Richmond Gear who makes them.

It seems that AC is still listing Detroit lockers for H233B diffs at the tune of $450, so it could be carelessly assumed they still have some. Would it be worth the extra $171 over the Lock Right? Are the Detroits that much better or is it a name thing? I am considering of dropping a locker in my rear diff and was leaning toward the Lock Right, I just want to make sure I wasn't wasting my time or money. I don't want to start making a habit of having to tear into my rear diff on a regular basis. Any experience and/or comments appreciated!

The Detroit is an older "classic" design. The Lock-Rite is a newish design and is impressively simple - less parts means less cost.

Which is better? Hmmmm.... which tastes better - Apples or oranges?

Off road, I'll argue they're equally capable.

On road, I think I give a slight nod towards the Detroit, as the Lock-Rite does not unlock as easily as I would prefer in corners. You have to think more with the Lock-Rite. If you're on the throttle, it is locked - period. Makes tight corners on asphalt difficult to execute smoothly and quietly. Hop hop hop POP.... Those of us with them have adapted and I have no intents of giving it up, but letting others drive requires advance notice of what's going to happen!

Oh, and when I was considering what to get, I narrowed it down to two options:

Cost is an issue: Lockrite

Cost is not an issue: ARB

The Detroit only received passing interest... If I could afford more than the lockrite, I would keep saving until I could go top shelf and get the ARB.

Lockrite=Chevy

Detroit=Cadillac

ARB= BMW or Mercedes

I've never been interested in caddies - if I'm going to spend that much extra $, I'm going all the way and going for the best.

I really, really like the controllability of an ARB - especially on snow or ice. If you are capable of thinking and understanding when a locked axle is better and when an open is better, you can manually optimize for conditions!

Thanks mws! The info was greatly appreciated, no one drives my pathy but me, its my toy, so everything I do is my personal pref. I'll probably buy the ARB compressor kit first, then the lockout unit, It'll be easier on my budget and my wife! Made a good point about controllability, that settled it for me. I don't mind spending the extra money, even if it takes a little longer to put together as long as it is well spent, I hate spending the money and the regretting it afterwards. :angry: Does installing the ARB lockout require resetting the pinion/ring gears? Not a prob, just curious. I just put a brand new LSD from AC in my front diff, added an extra disc on both sides. I think the ARB should compliment quite well.

I was just looking at the Lock rites pic. I understand why there would be a ratcheting noise and even in the pants feel when cornering under power. What if each individual gear tooth was "deburred" slightly to ease unlocking on the steet. Cou;ld that infact give a better street attitude for us that dont go off road regulary?

Mayyyybeeee..... But I think you're on your own there, I haven't heard of anyone trying that yet. Personally, I'm doubtful. Anything I can see to do would result in it more likely to unlock at heavy loads - exactly what you don't want.

I really wish they (Richmond) offered the PowerTrax as well as the Lock-Right for the H233B, as it sounds like it would be much nicer on the street. But they don't.

The easier it is to unlock, the easier it will be to lose traction in an offroad situation where you really need it. I've had mine ratchet and unlock in the sand when I got high-centered before. Other than that it's worked flawlessly and I won't say a bad word about it.

Richmond Gear produces the PowerTrax Lock-Right locker. It's all the same name.