Kill switch

NismoSkyZ

I just got a kill switch at good ol harbor frieght and I was wondering what you guys reccomend as far as wire gauge goes. I am not sure what guage is necesary to run from the switch to the batter. Thanks in advance.

Are you planning to disconnect the power from the entire vehicle? Then yeah, 4 AWG wire and a switch capable of handling 200 amps or more is in order.

Keep in mind that disconnecting all power will also cause your ECU to reset - which means your mpg will drop for a couple hundred miles until it re-optimizes itself.

To prevent hotwiring, most folks choose to only disrupt the wires going from the ignition key to the solenoid and the hot wire to the ignition coil.

Myself, I will add a security relay to the starter solenoid if I'm really concerned about security, but I will never again add any kind of electrical switching to the ignition. I hit a pothole once that caused the relay on an ignition cut out to bounce and not reset properly. A freak occurence for sure, but it happened on a two lane road while passing a truck. And there was another truck coming at us. Lesson learned. On our touring bike, I added a locking connector with ultra high reliability gold plated contacts in the wire to the coil. Unplug it, no run. But there is no way it can bounce.

yea 88's way is much better IMO...i've got my 87 set up so u have to turn the key to pos 3 then hit the toggle that runs to the relay to the starter...i think i am going to add another bump switch somewhere hidden so you have to hit both to start but if some1 wants it bad enough and figure out which of the 3 toggles is the ign they could follow the wires to the other switch and then just pull them out and bump them as if they were hotwiring it normally

Edited by unccpathfinder

Damn I just finished it up. I took apart the column and got to the wires that go into the ignition. I cut the white wire which disables the ignition completly. I used some 12 gauge wire and ran it to my glove box to a stealthy little button.

Unfortunatley, most of us are going to lose a nice stereo or CB first from a smash-and-go before a whole Pathy.

I am thinking about having an alarm system installed. However I'm not really sure if a $500 system is worth it to protect $1700 in stereo equipment. Usually at college my truck is parked 4 blocks away anyway :( , Meh any little bit helps.

Id get an alarm even for a "cheap" stereo. just get somthing basic, but make it loud as hell and flash alot of lights.

Ive got 2 sirens and it is also wired to my 4 100watt lights on the roof(along with my parking lights) and will be wired to my undercarage lights too, if I ever get around to it. If you got the balls to be dickin around with all that light and noise you can have my stereo. but no matter what, if they want somting, they will get it.

I play my stereo loud, all the time. ill admit. I do turn it down when im in a neighbor hood-just being kind. and also at lights iff theres alot of ppl/older ppl around just cause im not a complete jack ass(and its LOUD)but like I said, I will play mine loud'n'proud and have yet to get broken into(knock of wood). IMO its totaly depends on where you park. I will park in a really well lite parking lot and walk the extra block or two just so my truck is in the light. I back right the fawk up close to poles/walls so know one can get my box out. at school I will park in the lot where I KNOW a camera can/will be veiwing my truck at ALL times(even if it means making my own spot sssh ).

my 2cents

what an awome thread, im not that great with electrics but the kill switch hooked up to ignition sounds pretty good, can anyone go into a bit more detail, the only ones i find googling is the fuel pump method, so basically when you turn the key it clicks over the starter motor, is it that wire that you put the switch in? I read earlier about a white cable?

If you have an R50, you need to take off the column around the steering wheel to get to this wire.

-There are 6 holes in the bottom of the column.

-Just get a phillips head screwdriver that will fit and put it in the hole and start twisting.

-After all of the screws are out, GENTLY pry the column apart.

-Now, you will see the ignition, where you put your key in, on the right side. Follow this to the left side, where a plug is plugged into the end. Take out the plug and cut off the electrical tape around it.

-Now, simply find the white wire, cut it in half, strip both ends, and connect 10-12 gauge wire to these ends.

-Route the wires wherever you want the kill switch to be (mine is in the glove box).

-If you are mounting in the glove box, make sure the switch has enough clearance that the glove box can shut.

-I used a simple automotive rocker switch and with these instructions, you should be good to go.

If you have any other questions feel free to pm me. Oh and just a side note, if you hook the switch up to the fuel pump, they can still get about 10-50 feet out of the gas that is in the engine. This could be enough to put on a trailer or tow truck.

Edited by NismoSkyZ

If you have an R50, you need to take off the column around the steering wheel to get to this wire.

-There are 6 holes in the bottom of the column.

-Just get a phillips head screwdriver that will fit and put it in the hole and start twisting.

-After all of the screws are out, GENTLY pry the column apart.

-Now, you will see the ignition, where you put your key in, on the right side. Follow this to the left side, where a plug is plugged into the end. Take out the plug and cut off the electrical tape around it.

-Now, simply find the white wire, cut it in half, strip both ends, and connect 10-12 gauge wire to these ends.

-Route the wires wherever you want the kill switch to be (mine is in the glove box).

-If you are mounting in the glove box, make sure the switch has enough clearance that the glove box can shut.

-I used a simple automotive rocker switch and with these instructions, you should be good to go.

If you have any other questions feel free to pm me. Oh and just a side note, if you hook the switch up to the fuel pump, they can still get about 10-50 feet out of the gas that is in the engine. This could be enough to put on a trailer or tow truck.

awesome...thanks heaps for that.

I don't own an R50 but can't see it being too different...i'll just keep cutting wires until one of them doesn't start the car when I turn the key and use that wire...then wire the rest back together :D

As far as a theft Deterent goes....

There was a guy on the news up here about 2 weeks ago that installed a GPS tracking bug in his 130,000 dollar work truck for a mere $500.00 bucks. What this allows is you to monitor where your vehicle is at any given time, even from a Palm Pilot. This guy apperently went into the gas station after filling up, had his vehicle running, came out and it was gone. By the time, he told his boss, and called the cops the guy was long gone. His boss mentioned to him that he installed the GPS and they started tracking it. The Police and the Owner of the vehicle Drove to where the Vehicle was at the same time, which ended up being like 400kms away in some chop shop, and knocked on the shops door busting them in the process and they're whole operation. I thought that was pretty sweet for a mere $500. bucks. Also Nice to be able to Loan your vehicle to your Wife or kids and know where they are at all times for as many reasons as you can think of. I personally, would way rather have the thief steal my Vehicle just so I can Track them down Bounty Hunter Style and give them a proper "thank you for stealing my baby" talk.

Dowser

Oh and just a side note, if you hook the switch up to the fuel pump, they can still get about 10-50 feet out of the gas that is in the engine. This could be enough to put on a trailer or tow truck.

Yes, this is true... but I dont think car thieves prime market is 10-15 year old Nissan suv's either.... But it's all a game of chance I suppose

Yes, this is true... but I dont think car thieves prime market is 10-15 year old Nissan suv's either.... But it's all a game of chance I suppose

They tend to go after the rediculous amount of electronics that I have in my pathy. Hiding my Ipod, Gps, faceplate, and covering my sub is a pretty good deterrant. However, I plan on installing a remote alarm system and putting a 5% tint on my back windows and a 10% on my fronts.