Firewall

navygz19

Can someone tell me where a good place is to pass wires through the firewall? I remember Dan said something one time about a hole where the clutch assembly would ordinarily be but I can't seem to fine it. I'm wiring some KC Daylighters today. Anyone? Pointers? Thanks :D

Yup, I've used that same spot, driver side, maybe a foot from the fender, 8" from the top, there will be a flat plate screwed to the firewall with 2 screws.

Yup, I've used that same spot, driver side, maybe a foot from the fender, 8" from the top, there will be a flat plate screwed to the firewall with 2 screws.

Same here. Next to the brake master cylinder.

Caution, on mine it has some rough edges and tends to cut wires if you just try and do a long pull. You need to feed the wire through by pushing, rather than pulling. I seem to remember a brace as well that restricted access a bit.

Thanks guys (and girl :aok: )

I'll be cautious of the rough edges when passing the wires through. I also need a hot lead, what did you guys use to tap into from there? I've got quite a bit of excess wire if I need to do some searching inside the dash...maybe the harness for the head unit? I've already tapped into that once already for the CB...

I can always find something in the fuse box I suppose. I'd much rather use the firewall to pass wires into the car rather than through the doorjam.

I cut a notch about the size of a dime in one side of the diamond-shaped plate that covers the clutch opening to fit various wires through. Over the years, I had run so many different "hot" wires through there, I eventually had to grind away part of the bracket that secures the Transmission Control Module.

Later, when I realized I had run so many heavy-gauge wires from the battery, I re-did the installation and ran a single 6AWG wire (with a 100-amp fuse) from the battery to under the dashboard. This large wire is now where I tap into for all of my accessories. I also continued to run this wire to the left rear compartment of the cargo area, where my roof lights and Alpine MRP F250 amp obtain "hot" power.

Finished them finally. Thanks for the pointers. I can see how the edges of that opening can cut wires. I also added on some Christmas decor to add to the holiday mood :D

The fruits of my labor:

HPIM0079.jpg

Later, when I realized I had run so many heavy-gauge wires from the battery, I re-did the installation and ran a single 6AWG wire (with a 100-amp fuse) from the battery to under the dashboard. This large wire is now where I tap into for all of my accessories. I also continued to run this wire to the left rear compartment of the cargo area, where my roof lights and Alpine MRP F250 amp obtain "hot" power.

That's my next step for future add-ons, like roof rack lights when I get the rack.

I cut a notch about the size of a dime in one side of the diamond-shaped plate that covers the clutch opening to fit various wires through. Over the years, I had run so many different "hot" wires through there, I eventually had to grind away part of the bracket that secures the Transmission Control Module.

This is a great idea, but how to you connect wires from it? aka where can I get the distributor/fuse box that you use. Do you hust have a big eye hook and connect the wires that way? Thanks in advance.

This is a great idea, but how to you connect wires from it? aka where can I get the distributor/fuse box that you use. Do you hust have a big eye hook and connect the wires that way? Thanks in advance.

Since you already have a system in the back, you can just add a fused distribution block for stereo components from any stereo store. I'm running one 4AWG wire back from the battery into a distribution block that powers an amp, an inverter, and has two extra fused slots for roof lights whenever I decide to get them. Its pretty easy since there are set screws that lock the wires into the block. I got mine from here:

http://www.knukonceptz.com/productMaster.c...20Fuse%20Blocks