Brake Problems

NismoSkyZ

Hey i was just wondering if anyone experienced the same problem or knows how to fix the problem that I am having. On long trips, after about and hour and a half of driving an average of 70, I go to brake the the pedal just drops to the floor. There is slight pressure applied on the brakes, but definitly not enought to stop the truck in case of an emergancy. It happens on every single trip, but not durring city driving. After I pump the pedal a few times after it goes to the floor it goes back to normal. Any suggestions?

Well, the brake system is not holding hydraulic pressure in the lines, that's why the pedal goes to the floor. After pumping it a few times, it builds the pressure back up.

You either have a leak in the lines that is allowing air into the system, or your master cylinder is on its way out.

Pezzy had similar problems a while back....paging Pezzy.

yeah, it's your MC. it's not hard to replace at all. you'll have to bench prime it and then bleed all the lines. while you're also doing this it's a good idea to thoroughly check the braking system. new MC will apply more pressure to the parts. so if they look old/worn then you ought to exchange them now too.

i'd still just bleed it to start with unless you can hear a slight gurgling sound coming from the vac booster to which the MC is attached.

• 2 weeks later...

Pezzy had a air in the lines causing her rear brakes to not engage. Her's just needed to be bled.

Before going and ripping out the MC....I'd suggest flushing the brake system, and filling with new fluid. Basically, take out all you can from the reservoir with a turkey baster or something, then start bleeding, back to front, until all you see if fresh fluid coming through the lines. It could just be that some moisture, or something has contaminated the lines, and is burning off as you drive......causing the lack of pedal pressure. IT's worth a shot.

I will bleed the lines tomorrow, Im okay as long as i tap the pedal periodically on long trips and I have no problems at all when city driving. This is what is confusing me...what happens on these trips?

I'm not sure if it is the same, but its quite baffiling that mine only does this on long trips. Virgin, it kind of sounds like you have a leak. If your truck is off and you pump the pedal, you should only be able to get about 3 pumps in because the pressure builds so much.

Edited by NismoSkyZ

Im okay as long as i tap the pedal periodically

Your "ok" until that seal blows completely... then your screwed and maybe dead along with other people.

Master Cylinders on thier way out are nothing to take lightly... one light you have brakes and the next your explaining to the officer why you did not stop

As mentioned above.. not worth it my friend :nono:

This is what is confusing me...what happens on these trips?

City driving you are constantly applying and releasing the brakes, so the pressure is never allowed to bleed completely off like it is on a long trip.