Stuck in the mud

PathFound

Okay, it's a no go for the winch. You're nylon slings might work.

I checked the Rona website and the store in Squamish opens at 10:00 am. I've never been in the store, so I just assume they sell wood planks. I'll head into the store for 10:00 am then.

You have my cell phone number. If you want to meet at the Rona, that's cool. Call me or look for my car. I drive a red Mazda3 GX sedan.

Does your friend have his own truck or will he be riding with you?

Just incase you miss me at the Rona, I'll give you directions how to get where my truck is stuck. It's easy to find:

Go down Squamish Valley Road. It's the one up past Brackendale. If you're traveling north on highway 99, Squamish Valley Road is a left turn at the Alice Lake Provincial Park instersection. Traveling aling Squamish Valley road, when you get to the Y-junction (just over the bridge that crosses the Squamish river) stay left on Squamish Valley Road. You'll pass a bunch of houses. Keep going for about 15 km. You'll pass the entrance for the Squamish Valley Campground. There's a clear sign marking the campground so you'll know when you pass it. Less than a kilometre past the campground the highway bends right. On the left side there's a big clearing where you see power line towers. I'm gonna park my Mazda3 on the shoulder of the highway. Follow the power lines in along the muddy road. If it's not foggy, you can see my truck from the highway.

Thanks for helping me out. Much appreciated.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

too bad it wasnt earlier. oh well... my friend has an 87 hardbody but i dont think its in running condition, and his dodge is doing another job, so yeah hes ridin shotgun. Yeah, Ive been to upper squam lots of time and i know the campground your talking about. Im gonna bring all my slings, a firemans axe (good for clearing mud and hackin trees) and maybe more if i can remember, oh and definetley bringin cookies.

The plan so far is to meet at Rona, but dont wait for us, just carry on. Like you said, if we miss you, we'll head north. If we cant make it, I will phone you just to tell you.

yeah, rona sells planks, at least mountain building center did (the company that rona bought out this year) so i assume they do

hmm air down the tires turn side to side and keep on spinnin thru 3rd or 4th gear...keep tryin to rock back and forth...i'd dig around and try to remove any of the sticks and what not to reduce slashing a tire but from the pics with enoug hell i think you can get out...

also a sheet of plywood/floormats or something like that will lay over the mud and can possibly give more grip...this is fairly unsafe but u can place some boards on the ground and jack the truck up to place wood under the wheels for tracktion but be very careful and dont be under the truck at all while its up like that...

Oh, and no matter what you do, DONT rock alot like uncc said. I did that in my R50 once, when I managed to get all 4 wheels off the ground... rock rock rock rock... transmission was trash. Those things are &^%*@$# expensive.

Do my Eyes Decieve me? I just cant Believe its true....

Not only is there 1..... but 2!!!! 2 Pathys from the NPORA borads from Squamish? MY GOD I miss that place.... I lived there for about 3 years and theres no where else I'd rather live. I miss that place every single day. Boy how I wish I could be the one stuck out by that power line right now... Or frollicing in the woods of Alice lake... Climbing the Chief, or even the Bluffs... Hell I'd settle for a cup of Coffee from Barney's Petrocan right about now. Oh how I miss Squamish.... If I thought I could make it I'd drive tehre myself and Pull you out or get stuck trying. Good luck and keep us posted.

Dowser :oops:

Edited by Dowser

Whens the last time youve been to Squamish? It has changed alot in the 17 years I have lived here. Houses everywhere you look. Barneys is now a 7-11, I still remember going to Barney's and getting those brown paper bags full of candy when I was a kid. Crime rate has increased quite a bit. A friend of ours just got his house broken into while he picked up his wife from somewhere. He was gone only about 10-15 minutes, and they cleaned the place out... scary stuff. Wal-mart and Home Depot are built and sheduled to open this month in the industrial park, Canadian Tire is always busy, nothings the same.

Another 7-11? What about the one next to the McDonalds? Canadian Tire?, WALMART!!!! HOME DEPOT!!! OMG Whats happen to my little Safe Haven! I lived there about 11 years ago, About the time they had that ENORMOUS landslide on the 99 to Whistler. Then moved back there again about 6 years ago... My memories of Squamish are the small town that would have the Steam train bring in tourists, and of the no name stores that were all Entreprenuers. About the biggest name they had was the Save-On foods, Mark's Workwear, and the Home Hardware. Rachels Sister used to own the Pizza shop in town Called the Chief Pizza... Surely you must remember that place. Used to be the Best Pizza in town. Right on Cleveland ave. Ohhh I can't believe whats happen to the beautiful little place. As soon as they start introducing those big chains....... its over for little communities. That nice little Climbing shop till there? It was in the Save On Food Plaza across from the Panago Pizza. Sigh... I'll try and keep myself from Jacking this thread, but its just been so long since I even met someone who knows where Squamish is let alone live there.

Dowser

Dont even come to Squamish if you want to keep those memories. Its kind of sad what happened : development development development. million dollar homes built everywhere, like 1ft beside each other. Apparently its all about 'tourism' now. theres 2 7-11s. Climbing shop gone, i remember the one your talking about, yeah its kinda depressing.

Update:

After spending 2 hours digging wet, heavy mud and making a clear path to back up, I got the truck out! I got lucky because it was barely raining while I worked. A lot of the mud had dried up.

I pretty much had to dig around and under the truck. Damn tree roots were a problem. Once the mud was clear, I put some boards behind the rear wheels, started her up and reversed out in 4 Lo. Once I got moving I didn't stop. Just blasted through in reverse.

Sorry guys, no pictures. My camera got waterlogged and I think it's useless now. I gotta get some rest!

Thanks for all who replied. I've learned my lesson to be more careful when it's wet, and test the ground before driving into it. Sometimes the ground is not what it seems. Otherwise, maybe next year I'll get some beefier tires and a winch.

glad to hear ya got it out...i got lucky and used to do a lot of wheeling alone and was lucky to never get stuck where i couldnt get out...

i've had many friends call me asking to come and pull them out...one was right after i told them not to go out and it was pouring rain (and had been for a while) and they have never been back there and it was about 10 PM at night...they walked to my house and grabbed my come along tied it to a tree and his bro worked for 2 hrs trying to pull him (in a jeep cherokee) out with his bronco till he got stuck...then they spent a couple hrs getting that 1 out and went back the next day after it quit raining and spent about 4 hrs getting him pulled out...the floorboards got flooded and the mud sucked his exhaust off when they finally snatched it out...then the bastard kept my comealong for about 6 months and i needed it but luckly i rocked back forth enough to get out...

Good to hear you got out alright.. and undamaged I trust? :aok:

Thanks for all who replied.  I've learned my lesson to be more careful when it's wet, and test the ground before driving into it.  Sometimes the ground is not what it seems.  Otherwise, maybe next year I'll get some beefier tires and a winch.

And next time, bring a friend ;)

Brian, I just got back from going up there. To tell the truth, I was a little disapointed to see it on the side of the road, I was hoping for a grand rescue :D just kiddin, glad to see you got it out, when did you dig it out? Also, are you missing a bumper cap or a black plastic peice that looks like a bumper cap? We took a walk to see where you got stuck, and yeah, good thing it wasnt raining when you dug it out. Anyway, we found a peice of plastic about 4ft long in the mud beside where you got stuck, so I carried it back to the pathy parking and I didnt see any missing bumper caps, so I was gonna throw it in the ditch. But I figured I carried it this long, so I may as well throw it in the back of the pathy. If you find you are missing something, tell me.

Ah good to see you got 'er out. I was going to ask, how far away Squamish is from Kamloops. Thought I'd take a little road trip and help ya out :D

I totally would have, too.

418 km.

About 5-6 hours depending on Vancouver traffic.

Glad it was recovered with no issues.