Warn manual hub mileage

Just like the title says, I got 19.17 mpg with my newly installed warn manual hubs. A lot of stop and go traffic, but a decent amount of freeway also. This is about a 2mpg improvement over what I was getting before. I also filled up at a gas station that has repeatedly given me slightly lower fuel economy than other stations. Overall, I think this is a mod that every R50 owner should do. Just thought I'd share :D

You know what, as soon as its light out here, I will take some pics and post them. I would have posted some as soon as I put the hubs on, but I figured that I'd wait until I got actual mileage results before sharing. All in good time :D

Nice! It's always good to get better gas mileage in these days. Keep up the good work!

Thanks :D. When I'm done with all my fuel saving mods, I plan to be getting over 21 mpg (hopefully)

I would have done an install write-up, but I couldn't have done it any better than this guy: Dean

Here are some pics. They aren't great, but its 30 degrees, gray, and snowing here so I decided to take them in the garage.

post-7-1083369960.jpg

They might work on a 2003, it depends if you have the all wheel drive or the part time 4 wheel drive. If you have the latter, it will give you the same results I got. If you have the former, don't do it, it will mess up the all wheel drive system.

And your right, it does contribute less wear and tear on the drivetrain. However, the front end on R50's is built to take the normal wear and tear that occurred before the hubs, so the hubs are not a huge improvement in that area.

Just to clear up some confusion about Pathfinder AWD... it is SELECTABLE - as in - in normal operation it is in 2WD high - turn the knob and you shift into AWD... shift the knob again and you are in 4WD HI... throw the tranny into neuteral and turn the knob again and you are in 4WD LO...

Consequently, Manual hubs will not harm a thing!!! The hubs are locked ALL THE TIME for Pathfinders with All Mode 4WD, so there is no problem installing manual hubs...

see pics for All Mode 4WD settings...

post-7-1083901034.jpg

Eeeeeh, it's not so much a matter of the hubs being locked all the time.

Newer Pathys have drive flanges instead of hubs. The wheels are simply locked fulltime to the axles via splined flanges that are bolted to the brake discs. The selectability comes from disconnecting the transfer case via the switch on your dash.

Just to clarify. :)

I've had my manual hubs since last October and now that we're finally getting the summer formulated fuel I've seen my mileage steadily increasing. I hope I end up with the 2MPG you're seeing, right now I'm a little over 1MPG increase, but I need to run a bunch of tanks through to get a good idea of the difference.

One point on maintenance, when you get ready to repack your bearings Warn sells a hub service kit with new gaskets, I think the part# is 29061. I've also heard of people going with a silicon sealer instead of the paper gasket if you run it through water since Warn recommends replacing them each time they get submerged. Also make sure to lock the front hubs every once in a while during the warmer months to keep everything lubricated.

As far as the all mode 4WD, sounds like it would be fine to install assuming you always have your hubs locked when you switch to either AWD or 4HI, otherwise your transfer case will be toast. Doesn't sound like a application for manual hubs to me.

The transfer case will be perfectly fine, man. How do you figure it'd have anything wrong with it if the hubs are unlocked and it's in 4WD? The front axleshafts would simply spin inside the hubs.

You're assuming that the shift would occur while stopped or moving very slowly. The 96+ Pathfinders can be shifted into 4WD while moving at speed. With the hubs unlocked nothing is spinning in front of the transfer case. Now you shift into 4WD with the hubs unlocked and the front driveshaft, front diff, CVs etc. all have to go from a complete stand still up to that speed immediately. Not good for a transfer case or any of those components.

If you engaged 4WD while at a stand still then I agree that they would just spin inside the hubs.

Here's two posts on this topic:

http://65.166.200.170/ubbthreads/showflat....true#Post120516

http://65.166.200.170/ubbthreads/showflat....true#Post122273

I wrote to Warn. They don't make, or intend (as of now) to make any sort of manual hub for the 2003 model. However, from what I read here, it appears that I may have "flanges" instead of "hubs." So uhh... what's the difference? :confused:

Thanks,

jim

Hubs are selectable weather they are automatic or manual, if you have automatic hubs, they engage when the vehicle is put into 4 wheel drive or in the case of a new pathy AWD and the manual hubs must be engaged by hand or hammer. flanges are not selectable, they are always engaged weather in 4 wheel drive AWD or 2 wheel drive,

This site might help, very good pics on a Pathfinder hub disassembly and install of manual hubs. Take note of picture 6c, it shows the drive flange with grooves that mate with the grooves on the spindle. The drive flange is then replaced with the manual hubs which can be locked or unlocked from the grooves on the spindle.

http://groups.msn.com/xplorx4/modwarnpremiummanualhubs.msnw

But, as I understand it, there are no Hubs that can be put on the 2003 Pathfinder. Is that correct? I'd prefer to have manual hubs as the times that I need 4 X 4 drive is, by far, the exception rather than the rule. Therefore it would be nice to be able to improve my mileage while reducing wear and tear on the equipment. With gas currently at $2.27 (87 octane) a gallon, any savings are worthy of consideration.

jim