E-fan

turbopath

ya, if you haven't gotten off yer lazy butt and ripped out the stock fan...do it already! It's amazing. I now a have a really quiet ride that doesn't struggle to get up the hill to my house anymore. It's not some huge hp gain, it just doesn't struggle as much with hills etc. I'm in the middle of fiberglassing a shroud for a pair of fans to throw on there. Even sitting in traffic etc the truck hasn't come close to going past the 1/2 mark on the guage with no fans at all....

Edited by turbopath

That guy isn't completely correct...my fan only draws 20 amps and the only fan I can think of that draws 60 is the 4000 cfm taurus fan. And he isn't considering the loss of a 10lbs of weight from the rotating mass of the engine. People bash underdrive pullies too, but I picked up 8hp to the wheels with my aluminum lightweight (and smaller) crank pulley. I can guarantee you the engine wasn't making any more hp, I was just losing less of it. Different car though.

I have a fan out of a big Volvo Truck..

Y'know, one of these

volvotruck.jpg

The dimensions of its shroud match my radiator perfectly. The diameter of the fan is 1" larger than my clutch fan. It pulls some 4,500 CFM, and only draws 30A.

I haven't installed it yet, because it was a recall unit because the relay box on the unit itself is prone to fire. All I have to do is cut the wires coming out of the relay box, and splice in some nice heavy gauge wire, and then install it.

I'll post some pictures when I do it.

I got it for free through a contact of mine at Volvo Trucks here at my job. All the rest of the recalled units were destroyed. They retail for close to $1000.

i snagged my dual e-fans out of a 92 maxima, its not mounted because it is a VERY tight squeeze, actually had to trim the shroud wher ei bent it to make it fit.

however my fan clutch never came off....its stuck...and prob wont ever come off...but i love my efans.

wired them to a switch the dash for a temp but will go through a constant later so they turn on by themselves when i turn the truck on

i'd totally do this if it was a direct bolt on (i'm not good at fabbing things up). so do you totally remove the clutch fan and its components? what about the belt that drives the fan?

turbo, do you have the t-stat/relay setup? or just a switch? how would you hook a lead up to the t-stat? or is there already a sensor of some sort that triggers the fan?

you rip it all out. You have to leave the belt. My fan clutch took some persuasion to remove. You could leave the shroud and just stick a fan in the middle there. I bought a wiring kit that came with the sensors and everything for the fans.

I have a fan out of a big Volvo Truck..

The dimensions of its shroud match my radiator perfectly. The diameter of the fan is 1" larger than my clutch fan. It pulls some 4,500 CFM, and only draws 30A.

I haven't installed it yet, because it was a recall unit because the relay box on the unit itself is prone to fire. All I have to do is cut the wires coming out of the relay box, and splice in some nice heavy gauge wire, and then install it.

I'll post some pictures when I do it.

I got it for free through a contact of mine at Volvo Trucks here at my job. All the rest of the recalled units were destroyed. They retail for close to $1000.

Nice! I'd absolutely love to get my hands on something like that for our Frankenvan...

As it is, I am going to try to squeeze 2 Taurus fans in there. Climbing up ultra twisty 15% grades at 10 mph while hauling our trailer and toys on 100+ degree days requires a wee bit more airflow than stock!

I have a Taurus fan in my '88. The main benefit I've found is fuel economy. It takes a lot of energy to spin a fan. If you don't need to, why do it?

Back to back 1000 mile round trips showed well over 1 mpg improvement. I have it wired where the fan is always off at highway speeds, even if the A/C is on.

FWIW, last summer I installed a Flex-a-lite #295 27" electric fan in my Pathy. At first, I was dubious about its cooling ability, but after enduring the summer, it proved itself to be worthy.

One thing I did learn, courtesy of my Scan-Gauge, is that "normal" coolant temperature has a very wide range, from 172°F to 225°F. The temp gauge needle starts to move up from its normal 1/2-way position at around 230°F.

I don't really know how much fuel economy I gained, but one thing that's nice is that

in the summertime, you can get cold AC blowing all the time, even at idle.