Transmission Cooler

MichiganAve

Looked around the forum to learn about transmission coolers and they sound like a good idea for an auto tranny. Recommmendation seems to be to mount in front of the radiator and put in-line before the stock tranny cooler to help prevent the temperature from dropping too cold?

Is the B&M SuperCooler 70255 a good choice for around $45?

bmm-70255.jpg

http://www.bmracing.com/index.php?id=produ...ubcat=28&pid=73

hmm that looks pretty cool. UHaul also sells one...$46...i've been looking at this one to replace my stock tranny cooler

EDIT: you're gonna put it in line with your stock one? maybe it'll make your ATF too cold?

also...Amazon sells the B&M for $40 and free shipping, FYI =)

Edited by QuismO

Recommmendation seems to be to mount in front of the radiator and put in-line before the stock tranny cooler to help prevent the temperature from dropping too cold?

By "stock tranny cooler" you mean the one that's built-in to the bottom tank of the radiator, right? If your Pathy is already equipped with an external AT cooler, the new one should REPLACE it.

So just add some more to replace what drains out.

Don't you have to add more fluid anyways because of the increase in volume of the circuit with more tubing and the cooler?

Unfortunately I just realized, I don't remember what type of ATF is in my tranny... Is it safe to add some mobil 1 synth ATF if the fluid in there isn't synth???

Edited by MichiganAve

What do you guys think of the ones with a built in cooling fan? Good idea if you go through deep water, or bad idea?

If the cooling fan can be disabled for water crossings, then it's a good idea. Otherwise, it's a bad idea. You don't want that fan to be running when you hit water. It will tear into your cooler.

I wonder if there is a write-up someone has one this or is it really easy to do. I looked over the How To's and didn't see anything. Hey MichiganAve you can take the lead on this.... P...

Yeah, I'll end up doing this after I install my 5" lift in the next week or two... ie this is a secondary project.

I think my biggest questions are about fluid at this point. Are you supposed to drain first to prevent it going all over... how do I know how much extra fluid the hose and cooler will require... can I use Mobil1 synth even though I don't know what type of fluid I have in there right now?

It's very easy.

Most of them come with those thru-radiator mounting clips. Attach it using those. Hook up the lines, flush out the air in the system, and bada-bing-bada-boom. Check your fluid level and add as needed.

hey venge, what's the process for flushing air out of the ATF system?

There isn't one. When you run the engine, the pump will pump fluid through the lines for you and the bubbles will run out on their own. Then just top it off.

Putting synthetic in with regular is fine if you want.

I've hardly heard of anyone with an R50 complaining of the auto dying...they changed the cooler design after 95.

There isn't one. When you run the engine, the pump will pump fluid through the lines for you and the bubbles will run out on their own. Then just top it off.

Putting synthetic in with regular is fine if you want.

I've hardly heard of anyone with an R50 complaining of the auto dying...they changed the cooler design after 95.

that makes a lot of sense....thanks!

So an additional external cooler isn't really necessary for an R50?

i think that we all tend to agree that a tranny cooler on an r50, or any pathy for that matter, is a good precautionary measure and will definitely lengthen the life of your transmission. $50 well spent considering the expensive price tags placed on transmissions, let alone the labor to install one.

I agree that preventing a problem is the best idea. I'm just not sure about the parts/install involved here. If someone does a good writeup on this (with pics please!) I'll definitely get on this.

Edited by 96SE