Which Generation?

Guest djohnstone

have very little experience with R50's off road, but from what ive seen...

guy at the local 4 wheeling whole had an R50. nice guy, nice truck. 31" BFG's. we went down some trails and it seemd that he was dragging a decent amount more then I was(I too was on 31's)

plus the WD21's LSD's are much nicer then R50's

and, If I must drag somthing on a rock, I like it to be my frame, not my body... sssh

like ive said, I havent had a ton of experiece with R50's. so its MO

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was implying that the same driver will be able to go the same places in a stock R50 or a stock WD. I also stated open diffs, because the older LSDs are much tighter than the new ones, so that gives an inherent advantage.

It's very possible that the guy in that R50 didn't know what he was doing. :laugh:

Those of you who have been around the Nissan off-road scene a bit, know of Andy. He goes by Desert Rat on the forums (no connection to the stores). He was one of the early SAS'd Frontiers. You'll recognize his Blue Meany if you see it.

meany%20charouleau4.jpg

Between wheeling with Keith and myself, he, and the rest of the SWANKy crew, have become more and more impressed with the off-road prowess of the R50s.

In the Nissan off-road scene, the R50 is really considered to be the red-headed step-child of the family. Nissan did not design it with intent to tackle SEVERE off-road terrain, and the aftermarket picked up on that, and pretty much ignored it. (Think Mitsubishi Montero Sport). The Xterra was the decendent of the WD21 Pathfinders and the aftermarket support that was already in place for the WDs picked right up on the Xterras. Heck, you can even get a kit to convert to a solid axle on the WDs.

The R50 aftermarket scene is much, much calmer, so the R50 owners have to be more creative and resourceful, using what we can get to modify our rigs. For the R50, underbody protection is crucial, as the underbody is the structure! Sure, you may not be able to lift it to the sky (yet). But, it is still very capable of tackling 4.0+ rated trails in California, Arizona, Texas and Utah.

Dean's R50 on the Rubicon in California:

01gatekeeper_d1.jpg

07walkerridge_d5h.jpg

Keith's R50 on Woodpecker Mine Trail near Florence, AZ:

az6_day1_027.jpg

az6_day1_033.jpg

:aok:

There is a ton of good info here so do your research. For what you are describing I think an R50 would be up your alley. As you have read, the R50 is more comfortable at higher speeds off-road, and cushy on-road. If you are just going to be off-roading occasionally when fishing or hunting then an R50 will get you wherever you have to go. Vengeful is right about underbody protection though, you gotta have it. It truly depends on what terrain you need to go through. When hunting or fishing you usually do not need to so hardcore rock crawling. When I go wheelin it is all about 4x4 trails in the rocky mountains. Vengeful know's more about the "rating" on certain trails. I probably should but do not pay any attention to that stuff. I find 4x4 roads on my Colorado Gazateer and off we go. I am here to say that I have impressed a few people with what a R50 can do off-road.

well. i am a bit biased as i have 2 WD's and have never driven/wheeled an R50. however. WD's are easier to find parts for, build up and repair. Motors are everywhere for the WD's. and you can even upgrade (if you don't have smog laws) to a chevy 350, VG33 block or just upgrade the VG30 all around for more power.

The front steering components are a bit weak, but if the only off roading you're oging to do is for fishing. then a WD is fine.

The WD would be good to beat on and not feel bad. I would be a bit weary of gravel beating a newer pathy.. but would not think twice about it in either of my WD's..

However. and it has been proven here that 1 is not necessarily better than the other off road.... look at dan and pezzy's pics..... with slight mods they go anywhere.

i would prefer to change a single coil over 6 coil packs that cost $98 each..... should the need arise.. i think overall parts for a WD are a bit cheaper, and more readily available.

Both styles are more than capapble of doing what you want to do..... so in the end. if you look at WD's.. check for frame rot..... on a R50.. checks susp......

oh yeah. and on WD's.. you only have 1 catalytic converter sly

dirve both and find one you like! -bounce- -bounce-

good luck! :aok::beer:

Ok, i'm gonna throw a wrench in all of this.

WD21 VS R50 is the debate.

Why not go with a WD22? They have more power than the WD21, are newer therefore more reliable, have better aftermarket than both WD21 and R50.

They just renamed the "real pathfinder" xterra (wd22)

more power, crawler gears, factory lockers, good ride, good safety rating

This is what i'd personnally

You can put the Calmini or AC TX10 Crawler gears in ANY TX10 transfer case, (W)D21, (W)D22, R50 or whatever. :aok:

The WD22 Xterra and D22 Frontier did NOT come with lockers. You're thinking of the (W)D40 Xterra and Frontier (2005+), and the factory locker is only available on the Off-Road Xterra or the Nismo Frontier, and can only be used in 4-low at speeds LESS THAN 3MPH. The (W)D22 series had the same features and options as the R50 in terms of powertrain, except that the front differential on the R50 is the same as the 4-cylinder D21 Hardbody pickup from 95-97.

You can put the Calmini or AC TX10 Crawler gears in ANY TX10 transfer case, (W)D21, (W)D22, R50 or whatever. :aok:

The WD22 Xterra and D22 Frontier did NOT come with lockers. You're thinking of the (W)D40 Xterra and Frontier (2005+), and the factory locker is only available on the Off-Road Xterra or the Nismo Frontier, and can only be used in 4-low at speeds LESS THAN 3MPH. The (W)D22 series had the same features and options as the R50 in terms of powertrain, except that the front differential on the R50 is the same as the 4-cylinder D21 Hardbody pickup from 95-97.

I stand corrected.

I'd still go with the xterra

I MUST go wheeling with Dean & Keith before I die.

Let's set it up! How about Fall 2009, southwest Colorado? It's only 28 hours from you! :)

Let's call it The first annual "R50 Roundup".

What are you asking?

LOL I'm going to buy a 96 and I have a 95 but I was just wondering why the 96 is worth $2000 more then the 95? Do they base any of this on the fact the WD has a rusting problem?

It's amazing that the 96 has no rust and resides in the same salty area. It also has more miles.

I guess am just bitter that my 95 is rusting away right in front of my eyes.

LOL I'm going to buy a 96 and I have a 95 but I was just wondering why the 96 is worth $2000 more then the 95? Do they base any of this on the fact the WD has a rusting problem?

It's amazing that the 96 has no rust and resides in the same salty area. It also has more miles.

I guess am just bitter that my 95 is rusting away right in front of my eyes.

cuzz its minivan

The R50 has a larger motor, more power and torque, many more features standard, and is a more popular, and updated style than the WD among the general public. The WD is a very dated design, but the older R50s still look pretty new. They don't have the same rusting issues that the WDs have, and they have a more luxurious interior.

The R50 has a larger motor, more power and torque, many more features standard, and is a more popular, and updated style than the WD among the general public. The WD is a very dated design, but the older R50s still look pretty new. They don't have the same rusting issues that the WDs have, and they have a more luxurious interior.

All ten more HP, and thats what I look for in a truck

Well, personally, I look to buy a truck when buying a truck.

Good for you. Quit R50 bashing. Someone asked for some real reasons on which truck to buy.

Yea, uh, how is the R50 a minivan, exactly? I'm really interested. If you're trying to say that its a minivan because its unibody, then I suggest you do some research on the Jeep Cherokee (XJ), lets face it, thats the most easily and frequently modified of off-road SUVs on the market, and it was always made as a unibody...

Edited by SaKaNa

Geez, guys, for Pete's sake! Everyone knows an R50 isn't a minivan, it's a station wagon!. Get with the program already! :D:rolleyes:

:laugh: Meet you at the grocery store!

Atta boy XPLORx4 :clap:

I like the R50's. They're nice when properly done up. Like Pezzy's and XPLORx4's and Vengeful's.

However, the running CaR50 joke still makes me laugh. :P

OH, and the +10 Hp is negligible. The bigger factor is manual vs auto transmissions. Pezzy's R50, though, admittedly, carrying a lot of extra weight in bumpers/armour etc...is quite a bit slower than my old WD, simply due to transmission.