2003 Pathfinder purchase questions

rovergirl

Hey guys....finally found a forum for some good technical discussion about offroading my pathfinder!

Okay, here's my background info, for the last 10 years, I have been heavily into Land Rovers for offroad and my daily driver. I have a 1973 RHD air portable Land Rover Lightweight for my offroading. And I have a 98 Discovery that is my daily driver that I am looking to replace with the 2003 pathfinder LE. My dad has a 2003 SE and it's been an awesome truck for him.

My questions about my 2003 are:

#1 Just how reliable is this "all mode 4wd system". I much prefer a manual stick for shifting into 4wd and I am not so sure how a dial on the dash can do a better job. Also, what about this auto mode? To me, it's totally ridiculous and won't even use it but I am just worried about long term repair issues.

#2 Is there anyway I can tell from the VIN if my vehicle has the limited slip?

#3 I haven't bought it yet, just left a deposit pending the dealer looking at 1 problem, a bad vibration in 4WH when you hit 40mph. Has anyone experienced this and what can it be?

#4 PO has mismatched tires on the front and back. The front is a much more aggressive tread compared to the back, would you recommend I match up the tires asap?

#5 Other than the precat issue I have heard of, are there any other problems that you guys have experienced?

Sorry for all the questions in my first post!

Thanks for the help. :)

Lisa

Edited by rovergirl

Welcome!

I can help with some of these:

Here is a link to a review of used 01-04 Pathfinders: Used Review Link

I have the AllMode system and I love it. In winter, I use the AUTO setting a lot. So far, no issues with the transfer case. The hard core 4wd types do not like it for some reason, they can tell you why :P

I would make sure that all the tires are the same. This is most important as far as size goes but having similar tread types would make the truck more predicatable in its handling.

Never heard of the vibration, maybe the front drive shaft if it is only in 4wd and not 2wd :shrug:

For LSD, check to see if there is a an orange sticker on the back of the rear axle, near one of the oil plugs. This seems to be the best way to tell.

Good luck and if you buy it, post some pictures.

Edited by Trainman

Welcome to the board...

photo-2734.jpg

NICE PIC!

Like Trainman said, check the back diff for the orange sticker... I know there are other ways to check... try a quick search of the board...

I havent had any issues with my baby... only 'typical issue' I know of is the front struts... they tend to go, had to get mine changed when I bought the truck.

Ok I'll answer what I can of these :D

#1 Just how reliable is this "all mode 4wd system". I much prefer a manual stick for shifting into 4wd and I am not so sure how a dial on the dash can do a better job. Also, what about this auto mode? To me, it's totally ridiculous and won't even use it but I am just worried about long term repair issues.

My '02 SE doesn't have All Mode, however from what I know, there's not much of a difference between the two as far as 4wd goes. AWD a different story...if your into that sort of thing, and the terrain you travel varies a lot (and you don't mind degraded fuel economy) then go for it. If you prefer a manual T-case (in addition to lack of a lot of belles and whistles) opt for an SE...prob. save you a few $$'s as well. My SE came w/ the sunroof and audio package which, for the most part, makes it an LE minus the (IMO) cooler wheels, leather, Nav. (if applicable) heated seats and, of course, All Mode. I absolutely love it!

As was said, crawl underneath and look for an orange sticker on the back side of the rear diff. If it's an '03 you should still have one...there's also the jack it up, turn the rear wheels manually test to see if they turn in conjunction or opposite each other.

a bad vibration in 4WH when you hit 40mph. Has anyone experienced this and what can it be?

Not heard of this...though it says you can use 4HI up to 50 mph, I wouldn't really be traveling that fast anyways :shrug:

#5 Other than the precat issue I have heard of, are there any other problems that you guys have experienced?

Have not heard of the pre0cat issue at all :confused: What I HAVE noticed is, if your opting for an LE, it undeniably comes with the BOSE Changer. It's a POS to say the least...they are notoriously bad at playing CD's and throwing all sorts of error codes. I would swap that out immediately or else, test it out for a LONG time to see if yours is one of the few that works properly. If it's finiky (with CD's) inform the dealership IMMEDIATELY to have them take care of it. They're not a cheap repair otherwise.

Oh and tires? Do you mean mismatched as in, brands or age? I mean when I got mine, they too were "mis-matched" as the fronts were brand new and the rears were older. But they were all the same kind. If that's the case, then tell them about it and get them to install new ones on the rear in order to complete the sale. If all they did was put brand A on the front and type B on the rear, but they're all new otherwise...your kinda outta luck :sniff:

Hope all this helps you make a better decision!

You do NOT want different size tires from front to back in a 4x4 !!!!! A professional tire shop won't mount different size tires on a 4x4. They wouldn't even mount different size tires for me in MEXICO after I told them that I was going to be using 4x4!! Lets hope the previous owner didn't use 4x4.

You will stress out the transfer case and possibly destory it if the size difference is large. This could POSSIBLY be the cause for vibrations in 4x4...

Now as far as the allmode 4x4.... you say it's "ridiculous" and you're concerned with long term repair issues.... I laughed when I read that, knowing you drive a land rover! I used to be a tow truck driver and I know that land rovers break down like it's going out of style (don't forget cost of repair). Nissan engines are VERY capable of 300k+ problem-free miles, as long as you change the oil somewhat regularly.

I used the AUTO 4x4 feature in the snow once, and it drove just as if it was in 4HI. I couldn't tell a difference.

#1 Just how reliable is this "all mode 4wd system".

All-mode just provides an AWD mode that is street-friendly. It still has the ability to lock in 4HI and 4LO. Unfortunately, I don't have first-hand experience with its reliability, but I have not heard of very many (if any) problems with it on any of the various Pathfinder message boards. The only "strange behavior" I've heard is that the vehicle may lurch forward after parked and shut off. It's something to do with the pump and/or clutches disengaging, and is normal.

Dealer would be able to look it up.

#3 I haven't bought it yet, just left a deposit pending the dealer looking at 1 problem, a bad vibration in 4WH when you hit 40mph. Has anyone experienced this and what can it be?

This is caused by #4. 4HI locks the front and rear driveshafts together, forcing them to rotate at the same speed. Mismatched tires on the front and rear axles result in drivetrain binding and tire scrubbing. 4HI or 4LO should not be used on the street. If you're concerned about this issue, have the dealer swap one rear tire for one front tire, so that both axles have the same tires mounted:

FL: Tire type A

FR: Tire type B

RL: Tire type A

RR: Tire type B

#4 PO has mismatched tires on the front and back. The front is a much more aggressive tread compared to the back, would you recommend I match up the tires asap?

Absolutely. See previous answer.

#5 Other than the precat issue I have heard of, are there any other problems that you guys have experienced? I've heard of O2 sensors needing replacement somewhat often. Also check for any service bulletins that apply to emissions equipment on this model. There's an ECU reflash that changes the sensitivity of the rear O2 sensors so that they tolerate a wider range of 3-way catalyst efficiency.

Welcome rovergirl:

i'm sure that you're thinking that we're biased in our opinions and comments. we have 2 discoveries and 2 pathies in my family, and we all agree that the pathies are better all 'round, especially when it comes to dependability and repair/maintenance costs.

the "knob" may take some getting used to, but rest assured as this system is the exact system that comes from the infamous nissan skyline. although i have the knob, i still have a lever for 4hi and 4lo (infiniti only??), so if you'd rather deal with a lever and use 4lo a lot, then maybe you can take a quick look at a Q. but keep in mind that i still have the knob to switch between 2wd, auto, and 4wd...t-case lever only works in auto/4wd. i've used both 4wd and auto in up to a foot of snow, no issues whatsoever...i haven't been rockcrawling or mud bathing, but everyone else here has =D

supposedly the pathfinders can be shifted on the fly into 4wd as long as you're under 50 mph, but i've never needed/wanted to (actually i avoid it) shift into 4wd while going half that speed. the different tires could be your problem. could be front axle/shaft, steering linkage, or simply needs tire/rim balancing.

but whatever the case, $5 says that everyone here vouches for the pathy and its long term dependability and capabilities...borrow your dad's pathy for a day, you'll be hooked like the rest of us =P

I have the "All Mode" on my 2001 SE and although I was a bit wary of it in the beginning I have gotten used to it. I have not had any issues as of yet... One thing to remember, like XPLORx4 posted, is that the vehicle will lurch forward if you shut the vehicle off with the switch set to "Auto." The noise and the movement is very startling if you are not expecting it. But I have been reassured (by the dealer and others) that the behaviour is normal.

I have the "All Mode" on my 2001 SE and although I was a bit wary of it in the beginning I have gotten used to it. I have not had any issues as of yet... One thing to remember, like XPLORx4 posted, is that the vehicle will lurch forward if you shut the vehicle off with the switch set to "Auto." The noise and the movement is very startling if you are not expecting it. But I have been reassured (by the dealer and others) that the behaviour is normal.

Mine does the same thing, also in 4wd High and low.

It is worse the more the tires are turned from center.

As for worse gas use, I get about 5% less in AUTO although it is tough to measure as I only use it in winter or on gravel roads, were you are going to get worse mpg anyway.

I do notice the difference between AUTO and 4wd high, mostly throught the steering (as expected).

most of your questions have been anwered i think. i have heard of the bad cd changer issue, but i think i must have one of the good ones. i did have a rear o2 go out.

i have the lsd but no sticker.

you will love the vq power. i know i do!

also, if you want the more traditional 4x4 mechanicals, put some manual locking hubs on her.

UPDATE>>> Well, it's mine! i drove it home Saturday. The dealer swapped the tires from front to rear and the vibrations stopped.

I still don't know if I am comfortable with the tires.

THe way it's set up now, I've got 2 bridgestone factory dueler's on the front, 245/65/17 and (new) 2 bfg rugged t/a 245/65/17 on the rear. Tirerack.com calls both types highway all season but they look so different.

Do you think if I don't put bfg's all way round it will end up affecting the drive train?

Couldn't find an orange sticker on the transfer case but it does look like the diff fluid has at least been changed or at least added to. What type of diff fluid do you guys recommend?

I have no idea what type of service has been performed by the PO. I called around to several area dealers for warranty/service info and all I was told that a key fob was replaced under warranty. Other than an oil change, anything else you think I should take a look at?

I'll post pics soon!

UPDATE>>> Well, it's mine! i drove it home Saturday. The dealer swapped the tires from front to rear and the vibrations stopped.

I still don't know if I am comfortable with the tires.

THe way it's set up now, I've got 2 bridgestone factory dueler's on the front, 245/65/17 and (new) 2 bfg rugged t/a 245/65/17 on the rear. Tirerack.com calls both types highway all season but they look so different.

Do you think if I don't put bfg's all way round it will end up affecting the drive train?

Couldn't find an orange sticker on the transfer case but it does look like the diff fluid has at least been changed or at least added to. What type of diff fluid do you guys recommend?

I have no idea what type of service has been performed by the PO. I called around to several area dealers for warranty/service info and all I was told that a key fob was replaced under warranty. Other than an oil change, anything else you think I should take a look at?

I'll post pics soon!

Congrats!

BUT ttiwwop.gif

The orange sticker would have been on the diff, not the transfer case.

I would change all fluids, including the A/T fluid, oil and filter, both diffs, transfer case and at least get the coolant checked. Check the air filter as well (easy to do). Unless there are proper service records, I would not trust the PO to have done anything.

With the AllMode, it would be best to have the same tire (size/type) at all four corners.

Any more questions, just ask. There will be no shortage of answers here :D

You don't have to. That's only if you want the stereo to display the artist, album and song title. Otherwise it'll just display track numbers.

It's kind of a pain in the butt to input all the track information, so I'd just ignore it if it plays fine without it.