Tire Question for Last Time

tkpath

Really.

I did review the archives but couldn't answer my question, which is ....

2001 Pathfinder SE manual with the OEM 255/65/16 (the size excluded by AT tire makers), no mods/lifts, etc.

Called Tire Rack.

They will sell me Bridgestone Dueler AT Revos size 245/70/16.

Questions:

1. I THINK I saw on this forum where folks were putting 255/70/16s or 265/70/16s on the 2001+ SEs (not Infinitys or LEs which I believe actually come made for a large/normal tire). Tire Rack rep said those sizes will rub/cause speedo issues, etc. Anyone experience this?

2. Dueler AT v. Dueler AT Revo ... is the Revo just hype? I've had Dueler ATs in the past and was happy with them. Most interested in wet/snow traction.

Thanks everyone.

255/70's...end of story.

Fits beautifully on our wheels and looks great. No need to go another size, trust me. Most stockers on this board who upgrade stick with those. :aok:

Veng? Revo's or Revo A/T's? He's the man to talk to about those tires :D

The standard Dueler A/Ts are geared more towards street driving. They're a glorified All-Season tire. Closest comparison is the BFGoodrich Long Trail TAs.

The Dueler A/T Revos are a much better all-around tire, and you'll pay for the superiority. They offer just about the best in snow/ice/wet traction from a non-snow-only tire currently on the market. They're also a 3-ply construction, as opposed to a 2-ply of the Standard A/Ts. They're closest competition is the BFGoodrich All-Terrain TA KOs.

tk -

i researched this to death also for my 01 se. i just recently replaced my stock size tires with 255/70/16 on my stock wheels. looks great with no rubbing. definitely fill out the well much more. i also have heard that the revos and bfg at are the two best tire options. they are also a bit pricey.

i just got dunlop rover at's from discount tire for 96 each. they are a 50k mi tire, so i was pretty happy with the price. cannot seem to get them installed properly, but that is another issue. -thnkboutit-

Thanks everyone!

Maybe we can put this in some sort of permanent file for all of us poor folks who got stuck with the stock HTs.

255 70 16 it is. I'll see what I can do about getting the Tire Rack guy to go against his conscience.

And tecciball .. sorry about the install problems (sure it's not because they're rubbing(!!!haha)).

265 70 16 here toyo open country AT's, slight rubbing from front right tire but only when I turn all the way left and am backing up. LOL

Same with my new Traction Kings except on the left side while turning right. The left inner fender liner has a small (pen size) vertical bulge and it appears to rub on that. Very noisy with the studs in the tire :P

i put 255/70/16 dayton timberline at's on my 2000 LE. i get that same rubbing as jarsiff. only when backing up and cranking hard left. i just avoid doing that as much as possible and it's all good. the tires look great on my stocker. can't wait for them to wear down so i can get a lift though :P

Same with my new Traction Kings except on the left side while turning right.  The left inner fender liner has a small (pen size) vertical bulge and it appears to rub on that.  Very noisy with the studs in the tire  :P

same story here, its only loud when doing a down hill reverse turn like out of a driveway, made my mother in law jump when she heard it, LOL.

We just made another run up Bear Mt. and since there was two vehicles I got a little braver as far as where I went with her and damn, every time I go out I have more fun! #1 and 2 on the list is armor then the 2" lift I CANT WAIT! out in the mud there was no rubbing and no noise at all unless I made one of those turns while backing up. I know the terrain probably isnt much to some of you guys but there was some pretty slick clay and mud logging roads with some good dug out trenches through the middle, was fun climbing back out. also some grown over roads that look like no one has found for a few years....did get some more scratches on the sides but i guess thats bound to happen :) moral of the story is i'm very impressed with the tires.

Edited by Jarsiff

I havent gotten under it myself yet but i'd assume its a flimsy piece of the plastci splash guard and should be easy enough to either cut a bit out, or my preference find a way to perhaps tie it back, bend it zip tie it something, i'm not a fan of just cutting things off, although I am just learning here to so I may end up singing another tune :)