B-day list ideas!

cohen

so my b-day is coming up at the end of the month and family/girlfriend want ideas. I want to go off-roading and not be afraid I'm going to crack something on the chasis since I have no lift and running 31x10.5s BFGs. So far I've got RC Nitro 9000 shocks, and maybe a steering stablizer if I can get my stupid skid plate off without breaking the heads off the bolts... :help:

I want to go off-roading and not be afraid I'm going to crack something on the chasis

If protecting the bottom is your number one concern then you should look at getting a set of full skid plates and getting rid of the stock one ;)

i was planning on getting a new one later on. I've also been looking at suspension lifts on 4x4parts.com and this one doesnt seem to bad on price or parts. but do I reallly need the new torsion bars? And I'm getting new shocks anyway so I could get some that will work with a 3" lift.

http://www.4x4parts.com/public_html/shop/i...611526e7311ead9

Id say get a skid plate or a full set of skid plates, then get some rock sliderz. Then get a lift later, atleast that is what I am "planning" on doing. At the rate I am going It is gonna be years before I can get a lift. :(

ok I'll rephrase it. Who has installed a SL lift on their truck themselves, and exactly how hard is it? I can't find a write up about installing one. Also do you need new torsion bars along with UCA, rear coils, and shocks.

better? -thnkboutit-

ok I'll rephrase it. Who has installed a SL lift on their truck themselves, and exactly how hard is it? I can't find a write up about installing one. Also do you need new torsion bars along with UCA, rear coils, and shocks.

better? -thnkboutit-

You do not "have to have" anything but replacement rear spings or spacers.

BUT... it would be a good idea to get some new UCA's in addition to rear springs. And new longer rear shocks, although not "required" would be a good idea as well (longer rear shocks allow the axle more downward travel.)

After market UCA's correct the ball joint angle that is messed up when the front is lifted using the stock UCA's. Without them, many (but not all) report early and more frequent failure of the upper ball joint.

New Torsion Bars are not a requirement for lifting. You just crank and if need be, re-index your existing ones to get the lift. If after you do this they sag and will not maintain the lift you desire, then you look at getting new T-Bars

How hard is it? Well that depends on how easily things come apart AND go back together on YOUR truck. Each is different... and many things have an effect on it.. two big factors here are, what climate(s) has your truck been in since it was built and how well taken care of was it by prior owners. Some are easier than others.

Time? Again that depends partly on the condition of the truck, be prepared to dedicate a weekend to the project at least... this "should" give you extra time to deal with problems that arise.

"Pissed off factor" well, that depends solely on you. ;)

People from "skilled" to those with "minimal" wrenching skills have done it.

If you do, make sure you have all the parts and tools and a proper space to do the work... before you start. Also, week before you do it start hitting all the nuts and bolts that need to be removed with a good penetrating oil, like PB Blaster.

SL is definitely in the works now after a good but annoying day yesterday of bottoming out in the front end, cross member, rear hitch and almost taking out my exhaust. doh!

AND I left my camera at home... :furious:

Edited by cohen

if I can get my stupid skid plate off without breaking the heads off the bolts...  :help:

I second that motion! Just Ask Casey.T what I'm talking about.....Though, the bolts that didn't break turned out to be a big pain, just in another way

hmm :hide: