Heat shields

zonianbrat

My heat shields on my muffler are rattling quite often now, before it was only at a certain rpm but now it has become much more frequent and it is bugging me. I performed a search and could not come up with definite answers to my questions. So what are the "cons" to removing them? Is there much more noticable heat transfered into the truck? Are they difficult to remove? IF somebody who has removed theirs would chime it I would appreciate the info. :bow:

The easy answer to your question is Pro-will stop an anoying rattle and Con- could be the source of your Pathy burning........before people start bashing my answer.....these are the very extreme cicumstances. Heat shields are there as a protection of just that....Fire. Remember sometimes you can fix heat shield rattles with a hose clamp or self tap screws.

If your exhaust system has no leak or it doesn't get clogged up via your cataletic converter or muffler, you shouldn't have to worry, but as your rig gets older, remember to check frequently for leaks where heat shields are missing.

I've removed heat sheilds before without adverse effects, but I've also almost burnt my Pathy down because there was a leak were there was a missing heat shield. (Started smelling smoke on the highway on the way home, within two minutes I couldn't see and when I stopped the carpet had red ambers under it). This was an extreme circumstance of a hole in the floor above a leak in the exhaust and no heat shield.

Sorry, I guess so far I haven't realy said yay or nay......so I guess what I'm trying to say is it should be your decision and if you remove you should know what some of the worst outcomes can be.

Denis

Dont sweat it denis I do need all the info I can get before I make the decision. I while back I got underneath the truck and tried to pinpoint where the rattle was but to no evail and now the problem has become worse. I understand you had extreme circumstancses in your fire under the carpet which is why I would definetely check for any holes before doing this.

I agree. They're there for a reason, leave them on. At the very minimum you should be able to make some new ones with scraps from a metal shop, and re-drill the holes where the originals are.

No buddies with a welder? A quick tack weld will quiet those puppies right down.

If it is the cat converter shield, you really, really do not want to remove it. They run very hot by design and your floor will get noticeably and uncomfortably warm with it removed.

And of course, with a body lift (not applicable in your case), it is much safer to omit.

Edited by mws

DSCF6393-vi.jpg

I think that pretty much sums it up.

BTW, DAYUM K9!! :o :o

I am assuming that was done over a long period of time, and finally caught up with you?

Or was that the result of a small fire?

notice the burned carpet padding. There's a thread in here somewhere about the incidint.

towing a boat, up a long hill, got hot, had rust hole, caught fire, put it out, McGyver'd it back together with cookie sheet and caulking.

Funny this thread should come up. I have been looking under my 87 for heat sheilds that are located between the tranny and body. There is an extreme amount of heat coming from the floor board and up through the console around the shifter etc. I dont think there is one heat sheild on the whole vehicle. typicaly where are the heat sheilds located and what material are they mader from? Any thing on this would be helpful. I want to install all heat sheilds in the vehicle because it gets really hot with only 2 windows and 3 vents open! :confused:

Thank you all for the input and the pic :P I will definitely not be removing the heat shields!!! I will probably use some bailing wire for a temp fix until I can get my buddy to spot weld them back for me. It is just hard to find time to do anything anymore and it really sucks :oops:

Funny this thread should come up. I have been looking under my 87 for heat sheilds that are located between the tranny and body. There is an extreme amount of heat coming from the floor board and up through the console around the shifter etc. I dont think there is one heat sheild on the whole vehicle. typicaly where are the heat sheilds located and what material are they mader from? Any thing on this would be helpful. I want to install all heat sheilds in the vehicle because it gets really hot with only 2 windows and 3 vents open! :confused:

Steel is the most common material, but pretty much any metal (excluding low melt temp metals like mercury or lead or less than stable metals like sodium or uranium....) will work fine.

The idea is to have a sheet of metal between the hot item and the item you're trying to keep cool to absorb the radiant heat. To work, the shield has to be at least 1/4" away from the hot object and the cold object for air to act as insulator.

Mine had a lot of heat coming up through the shift lever and handbrake. I took my console apart and realized there was a bad boot on the shift lever leting the heat through. Made a huge difference when I changed it.

Denis