battery light and e brake light on

mishikwest

This morning both my battery light and e brake light came on simultaneaously, and are still on. Is that some cryptic diagnostic code for something? Or do I need to pull my alternator and start the round of usual tests.

oh, 94' v6-xe manual tranny, ac

Edited by mishikwest

Make sure the E-Brake is all the way down, nothing under the handle(I always have chit down there), Fluid Levels and ECU Codes...

Takes about 20 min to swap a Alt out, They can both be tested in the pathy, AutoZone, Shucks ect.... I have had the Alt go and have that kill the Battery as well....

Thanks for the input fellas.

My ecu just has a screw portal on the back side which is labeled "idle adjust". There is a label on that screw that also says "diagnostics". How does one turn the screw to get to diagnostics, and NOT affect the idel adjustment? Or is it just a matter of turning it back to where it was after running diags.

Your alternator has died. Have it checked/fixed before it leaves you stranded on the side of the road somewhere. No need to check ECU error codes or wiggle wires or check the e-brake...

When the alternator dies, it always turns on both those lights, along with the A/T temp light if you have an auto.

I sort of have the same problem... My E-Brake light is now constantly on, well most of the time at least. It occasionally goes off, but when its on I don't notice any drive changes (so its not like the e-brake actually is on).

Anyone know the problem there? Its just the e-brake light, not the battery light also...

well, just had the best kind of repair. Took the alty off, had it tested (twice), and it check out ok. Put it back on, and now all lights are off. ECU reads no error codes, so I guess I'm good for now. I almost wish the alty tested bad, then I'd know what the problem actually was. I suspect there was a lousy ground maybe, and by dissassembly/reassembly it fixed it?

thx for all the input!

I checked my brake fluid , it was full. Engine coolant was a bit low though, but obviously that doesn't have anything to do with an e-brake light.

So is it probably just an e-brake light sensor gone bad, or is there something else it could be? And if it is just the sensor or whatever, is there a way I can make the light go off? Not like I need it anyways, I'd know if my e-brake was on.

I suspect there was a lousy ground maybe, and by dissassembly/reassembly it fixed it?

Yeah bad ground, or a loose/dirty connection, hopefully you will have thousands more miles before this comes up again :aok:

Edited by RedPath88

ok i just bought another pathfinder and this one had the e-brake light turn on with the battery light but it was only on breifly the went out again. It did that a couple times today so does this mean my altinator is failing?