Types and brands of oil...

QuismO

Just curious as to what kind/brand of oil you guys and gals are using. maybe all of you have certain reasons why you're using the ones you use, and why you DON'T use other types/brands.

i'm asking 'cause i'm still uncertain as to which oil to stick to. i've tried dino oil to synthetic (thank goodness no leaks), but i'm trying to see what most of you use as you guys n gals are more mechanically inclined than i am.

Edited by QuismO

and its just easier for me to buy two 5 liter containers at once :)

yea i hear ya on that 5L jug. plus it makes it a whole lot easier when bringing it back to your local auto parts store to recycle the used oil. not to mention having to funnel the used oil into 4 separate 1L bottles =P

yea i hear ya on that 5L jug. plus it makes it a whole lot easier when bringing it back to your local auto parts store to recycle the used oil. not to mention having to funnel the used oil into 4 separate 1L bottles =P

wow, you don't have a drain container? i drain all my fluids into one and then cork it and take it to the auto parts store.. no funnels, no mess..

As a late teen the step-dad always said...

"change oil every 5k & change your oil filter every other oil change. Valvoline 10W40 is the best oil out there Fram makes the best oil filter."

You didn't get to ask why, you just did what you were told. Granted there were only V8 350's & 318's that could be found in our yard in the late '80's

To this day I still use Valvoline 10W30 and Fram oil filters, but do not know why outside of that what I was told to do. Now days oil and filter is changed every 3k b/c of manufacturer recommendations, but wonder if that might be an oil company conspiracy since dad only changed oil every 5k and filter every 10k and seemed to get by just fine.

I use Valvoline and their filters cuzz its free. sssh

I hear Fram filters suck too. Aslo, Quaker State ive heard uses candle wax in their oil, or more of it.

FREE?!! you lucky ass =P

hmmm, so fram sucks eh? what do you guys/gals think about penzoil and bosch oil filters? i've been alternating between the two as those are the only other options at the local auto shop (bosch, penzoil, and fram).

hehe mz, no i don't have a drain container, i just use this huge aluminum pan that i have no other use for.

yea dag i hear you on that one, it applies to almost anything.

i use a bottle of restore and valvoline max life.. i have used it for YEARS..... :bow:

just put red line MT-90 from summit in the manual tranny too ;)

slick, i forgot to ask...what is this "restore" thing that you are using? what does it do?

As a late teen the step-dad always said...

"change oil every 5k & change your oil filter every other oil change. Valvoline 10W40 is the best oil out there Fram makes the best oil filter."

You didn't get to ask why, you just did what you were told. Granted there were only V8 350's & 318's that could be found in our yard in the late '80's

To this day I still use Valvoline 10W30 and Fram oil filters, but do not know why outside of that what I was told to do. Now days oil and filter is changed every 3k b/c of manufacturer recommendations, but wonder if that might be an oil company conspiracy since dad only changed oil every 5k and filter every 10k and seemed to get by just fine.

a friend's honda calls for 7k oil changes.. i don't think i'd be really comfy with that unless it was synthetic in it.

you know the change oil at Xmi and the filter every onther time was actually the opposite of what should have been done... although the oils and filters weren't as good as they are today.

conspiracy, maybe but we drive way more and way harder then our folks do so i can see the necessity of more frequent changes, especially if you do a lot of stop and go.

Edited by mzxtreme

I use Fram or Purilator filters.

"Restore" is an engine oil treatment, basically just extra addatives like silicone to attempt to help seal and lubricate the system better. To me it's nothing but snake oil.

i actually DID notice a difference with restore in my 92 S-10.... and i have sworn by the stuff ever since. you use 1 can of restore in place of a quart of oil.... it is a lubricant/selant as ryan said. it is a bit thicker than 10-30 oil, and it's blue. next time yer in wal mart go check a can out. it's by the octane boosters n other "additives'.... it's a silver can .. kinda like a beer can.. blue writing.

oh yeah. and i use fram TG8A filters.. always had good results with fram filters.

If you have a Problem with Quaker State, then I would highly suggest staying away from Penzoil too as they are both owned by the same company. Even if thier product may be different, just something to think about. Personally. I dont have a problem with Quaker. I use the GL-4 for my tranny and it shift's like butter.

Dowser :oops:

I've had really good success with AMSOil products; I use 20W-50 Synth HD motor oil and their oil filters. I used to use Mobil1 oil filters which I think are really good, but the AMSOil filters are a higher efficiency filter, they also cost 2X than the Mobil1 filters go for. I run 2 filters with a relocation kit on top of the pass fender well, and will be tying in a cooler kit over the winter. I usually run 7K-8K between changes very little discoloration. I stop using “crude” oil in my vehicles a long time ago. I just don’t get a warm fuzzy feeling when the oil comes out looking like chocolate syrup between changes. Since your oil is the life-blood of your engine I’ll do whatever it takes to keep it prime between changes.

I also use Amsoil. Um i first found out about Amsoil from my grandpa how has been using it since like 1990 or so. I put it in all of my family's cars. I like it because you can run it for upto 25.000 MI (but you have to use there EaO oil filters). 2 months befor I came out to Wyotech in december I changed my oil on my Mazda 323 - 5W-30 and an EaO oil filter - I have drivin it every day to school and to Fort Collins, CO almost evey weekend (about 60 MI one way) and I have gone back to Washington every 3 months (1200 MI one way) and I drive my car hard, well anyway I havn't had to add any oil to my car since I canged it about 15000 MI (+ or -) ago and its still dark brown not black . I also get a 2MPG increase from 33 to 35 MPG and more HP -bounce-

I also use Amsoil. I was using M1 but I signed up for the Amsoil preffered customer deal and get 15% - 20% off all purchases. When I get around to it and find space, I'm putting in the Amsoil remote filter kit with the bypass filter. Right now, I have a M1 filter in there. Even though Amsoil says 25k miles, I'm still gonna change it every 5.

I also made the switch to Amsoil in my S4. I was also using M1 there. I do use a M1 filter because Amsoil doesn't make one for the S4 yet.

I may have said this already in a previous post, but my dad made the switch to Amsoil oil, oil filter and air filter and noticed a huge increase in highway mileage in his explorer. When he went out to Tenn. he was getting like 14 - 15 MPG now he is getting 20 - 21.

Edited by wheel366

Regular changes and/or good quality products are key. I've used the high-mileage stuff for the last couple years, whichever is on sale. But regardless, I religiously change oil and filter every 3K miles in our vehicles. Our Acura calls for oil and filter every 7K, but it still gets it every 3 or so. Honestly, yes, its probably overkill. But if you do it yourself in the Pathy, it takes about 10 min and $10. You can't really go wrong there in my book.