Types and brands of oil...

QuismO

well i just changed my oil yesterday to synthetic 5w-30. i do feel a difference in the engine's response and ease of pushing the pistons. however, it SEEMS like gas mileage is WORSE! but maybe it's because i just got new A/T tires which were about 7lbs heavier each, than the ome dueler H/T's. plus i did a lot of driving in downtown San Francisco over the weekend. we'll see how it goes in a little bit. i'm going to make some calculations this week.

• 5 weeks later...
i use a bottle of restore and valvoline max life.. i have used it for YEARS..... :bow:

just put red line MT-90 from summit in the manual tranny too ;)

i'm actually gonna give this "restore" thing a shot. after 152k+ miles, i might as well.

Guest GreenHornet

OK I think Finalists are:

Amsoil.

Valvoline.

Mobil.

Chilton's books says synthetic oil is no good for stop and go city running, I dont go on highways daily, it's mostly on streets and boulevards. Traffic, so I shouldn't use synthetic.

Amsoil seems to be only synthetic, but I could be wrong.

Valvoline convinces me (their Max Mileage) 10W-40 oil.

Question: does it have to be SG, because that what Chilton's books says again, and this Valvoline oil says API SM? not compatible?

Mobil, no idea, but does it beat Valvoline?

Do the FRAM oil filters beat the original nissan Oil Filters?

BTW FRAM offers Extra, Tough, Double and Extended Guard. Wich is the best for a 94 Pathy with 74,000Miles and used in city stop and go operations. Also used on hills and tough roads. Gets out on the highway once or twice every two weeks.

Let's make it more interesting...

:P

-Hector

post-9-1160442400.jpg

Don't buy Fram. get a Mobil1, Amsoil or K&N filter.

I've never heard that Synthetic is bad for stop and go. I drive in a lot of stop and go and have synthetic all around. Transfer case, Front and Rear diffs, trans, engine, etc...

I would think that Synthetic could handle the stop and go a lot better than regular oil and the associated heat produced with stop and go. All I'll ever use now is synth. I even use it in my dads 84 diesel Volvo.

i prefer fram filters over anything else. and i have tried a few. i use the fram tough guard filter. TG8A (i have the oil filter relocation kit).

i have never been crazy enough to spend 3 times the money on a nissan oil filter. :unsure:

i switched to synthetic in my jeep.. expensive crap. wish i hadn't. they say once you go synthetic, you can't go back.

i do 45 freeway miles everyday, and on days off 5 in town.... so far the only motor trouble i have had has been existing issues from when i bought it and a head gasket finally giving out. block has always looked good and no signs of excessive wear anywhere.

i have 3 motors (2 trucks), all run on the same thing.. 143K, 200K and 190K

funny enough.. it's the original motor i bought mini me with, that ahs the lowest mileage and the most problems..... and it is now sitting in the garage to be "juiced up" :blink:

I'm a huge fan of synth oil. And other than slick I've never heard a good thing about FRAM filters.

The pathy has had Synth oil ran in it since about 70k miles, (thank you PO, i bought it with 265K) and as of the last oil change I'm running the larger chevy oil filter that 88 researched for us. Its a wix and didn't cost more than 5-7 bucks at napa.

WIX are good too. Forgot about that one. I pathy has 194500 miles on it, however the engine only has about 10k. Other than the oil that came in the engine, I have used synth. And, the regular oil was only in for 1200 - 1300 miles before I switched.

I want to change all the other fluids again soon since we didn't flush, we just drained and filled.

Guest GreenHornet

OIL: SAE 10W-40. Do all of you use API SG like Chilton's book says so?

And the rest what oil weight do you all use?

-Hector

Question: does it have to be SG, because that what Chilton's books says again, and this Valvoline oil says API SM? not compatible?

SM is currently the highest standard as it meets 2005 manufacturer's warranties.

from lowest to highest, it goes

SA

SB

SC

SD

SE

SF

SG

SH

SH*

SJ*

SL*

SM*

where the "*" means that the oil manufacturer was given a license 'cause their oils meet certain standards (you'll see a gold/yellow star-shaped symbol on the bottle). so according to the above requirements, since you need SG, you can use SG and anything higher (SH, SH*, SJ, SL, or SM)

EDIT: BTW slick, i'm with you on the restore thing, it does give you a noticeable change. i feel more of a kick from a dead stop, and when going up inclines on highways, i don't need to force the tranny to go into a lower gear as much as i did before. 'cause on this one uphill stretch of I-80, if i kept it in 4th gear (auto tranny) and gas it to the point right before it downshifts, i'd slow down little by little. Now, if i keep it in 4th, i'll actually gain speed little by little.

Edited by QuismO

QUOTE (Slick @ Oct 10 2006, 11:52 AM)

they say once you go synthetic, you can't go back.

:confused:  :confused:  :blink:

i wonder if that's true too. i always switched between the two on my celica...she went on to 130k, which is when i sold it, no problems whatsoever.

Edited by QuismO

Reality check:

- ANY name brand oil (dino or synth) on the market today exceeds the original design requirements, so don't sweat it too much - unless you operate in a severe service way or want to get more than a couple hundred thousand miles out of it.

- Synthetics are effectively a super-ultra refined oil. Just made differently, but works the same.

- You CAN switch back and forth between synth and dino as much as you want. You can even mix most (all that I know of) them. Heck, all manufacturers do - check out the "blends" shelf.

I choose to use Mobil 1 as I run most vehicles for 300K + miles....