Exhaust manifold/s

zonianbrat

Ok I got this buddy who might be desperate to get rid of his 94 pathy. As he is moving to Cali soon. I am going to wait until the last minute if it lasts that long and offer him like 1100 bucks for it. I hear (I have not had a chance to talk to him personally yet) that he wants 2000 for it. It has 180k on it and it looks good from what I can remember from the last time I saw it. Anyway my question is: he says it has leaky manifolds and the mechanic quoted him 800 bucks to fix it. How hard would it be to do myself?? I have done the t-belt,water pump,t-stat-seals etc on my R50 so I am not a "complete" idiot when it comes to working on these lovely beasts. Any info is much appreciated. I sure hope this pans out so I will finally have a pure wheeling rig!!!!

Sliding in some Thorleys would be your best bet..

Biggest Challenge IMO you would have would be removing any Broken Studs....

Its really tight with the motor installed... (Mine was out B) )

It can be a crapshoot... depends on how many studs are broken, where they broke (above surface, below surface), and how frozen they are in the head.

But, if you are patient and precise and willing to invest in the proper tools, it is all very, very doable. Worst possible case is that they broke below the surface and are so frozen they cannot be extracted. Then you have to drill them out without breaking into the water jacket. This is where the patient and precise parts come in!

How much experience do you have removing broken/seized fasteners?

Studs area essentially a bolt that is threaded on both ends instead of one end with threads and one end with a, well a bolt head on the other. The studs screw into the head, the exhaust manifold slips over the studs and a flat washer, a lock washer and a nut secure the manifold to the head.

The real biotch with these motors and the factory exhaust maniflod studs is space, assuming your motor is still in the vehicle and the realtively close proximity that the water jacket is to the threaded hole in the head that receives the stud. One misguided drill bit, off center, too deep, too big, etc and you have real problems.

Best bet is to get the old manifold and down tube out of there and see what you have to work with. Undoubtled you have at least one broken stud. As said prior the difficulty in removing it will be predicted on how it is broken off. As MWS sez patients, is your most powerful tool here. Get a good can of the paneher piss of your choice and soak the broken stud(s) down a day or so in advance prior to attempting to remove them. There are a marrid of ways to remove the studs all of which have been discussed here numerious times for this is quite a common problem with this vehicle. Hit the search function my friend. If that doesn't help keep asking away there are some pretty good wrenches on this board and they will steer you straight.

M

HEY MWS !!!!

Are you ever going to tell me if the exhaust studs are 6 or 8mm so I can make the bolt chewers/removers for you ??

Do you check your PM'S ??

:P

Hmm, I just had a thought... I can make pilot bushings for the manifold (if they are uniform) so the wandering drill issue is a non issue. Who can tell me what the manifold bolt holes look like ? (pict+measurements)

B

broken studs...... i have done 2 broken stud removals, and had to drill 1 hole out (out of 6 broken studs) as the stud welded itself inside. just had to watch the jacket. if you've done a t belt, you can do studs with patience. ;)

as you can see by the picture, i have studs broken all different ways.. and they are all removable.

this is B's write up on stud removal/tools. a MUST read. http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=5361

BTLHManifoldOff.jpg

Edited by Slick

Thanks slick, and everybody else for the links etc. I am having a little trouble convincing the wife that we need a truck strictly for wheeling. So it is still up in the air. Wifey kinda wants a boat. I looked at some fixer-uppers and whoa!!! Some people want insane amounts for boats that will not even float. Oh well I am keeping my fingers crossed. I want the truck personally.

I was looking at the studs that hold the diff cover on the rear axle a few days ago after I "accidently" unscrewed the whole stud since the nut was seized. So, how do you install (or uninstall broken ones) the studs when they're threaded on each side. I can't remember if there was a flat spot on them to get a wrench on it.

Tools permiting and you have room to work...

Weld a nut on to the end and PB it to death... I used 2 nuts and a washer, then was able to slowly pull the studs on the ones not broken...

Those that are broken below the surface may need some drilling... I have seen a nut welded on to a sub-surface brake in an Aluminium head...

There was a very detailed writeup on removing the broken studs....

Thanks slick, and everybody else for the links etc. I am having a little trouble convincing the wife that we need a truck strictly for wheeling. So it is still up in the air. Wifey kinda wants a boat. I looked at some fixer-uppers and whoa!!! Some people want insane amounts for boats that will not even float. Oh well I am keeping my fingers crossed. I want the truck personally.

we were lucky in the neighbor couldn't get dave's boat running.. swapped the boat fer his 68 cuda back. $300 later n the boat is at the lake every weekend :)

tell her they are $$. way more than a wheeler.... maintenance, gas, towing, cleaning, the list goes on. but here in cali it is soooooooooooooooooo worth it.. in fact.... we're off to the lake tomorrow........ :hide:

Yeah I know what you mean slick. My dad's best friend was always working and taking boats out (we went with them 90% of the time) so my dad saw no need to buy a boat himself (smart man). Anyway my dad always told me that boats are alot of fun but they are black holes for money too. I tried to explain this tothe wife thing is we have our 1 year old daughter who already loves the water. So my wife thinks we should get a boat and be able to raise her on the water. I agree to an extent but I still want the truck instead call me selfish. Oh well I am in talks with a guy witha 18' silver star right now with an inboard mercury motor. He says it has around 120 hp. Sounds pretty sweet but I have to go and look at it sometime this week. The boat is old so I am a little worried but it do want a fixer-upper and that seems to be all we can afford. any tips on what to look for slick??? Plan is get the boat this year and in the next year or so get another pathy.....