Black Panther Front Skid Plate

thewiredgeek

Hey All,

Can anyone with a Black Panther Front Skid Plate tell me how well they protect against water splashing up into the engine compartment. It doesn't look like it has the same side coverage that the factory splash guard does.

Thanks!!!

You don't buy skidplates to protect against water. You buy them to protect against rocks, stumps, etc.

They don't block much water at all, but they'll break a big rock in half. Which would you rather have, a dirty engine, or one without an oil pan?

Also, think of it like this. You know that massive cross-member that runs along the bottom of that plastic splash guard. If you hit a rock, or stump or anything with that, you'll bend it. That part costs $1,800.00 from the dealer. Is it worth it to risk it?

Gotta say, I dont know, I've never been in my engine bay when I go thru puddles... :P

Why do you ask?? is it simply to replace a fuggered splash guard? or do you want protection for wheeling?

Here's a few pics of mine:

BobC051.jpg

ne4wd_417.jpg

Weight of the truck is on the skid there, I was on a rock, neither front tire was on the ground...

(ps. I was the loser who learned that lesson with the hefty bill and the bent subframe... wasnt fun... esp since my skids were on order, awaiting arrival!!) :(

Thanks to both of you (Vengeful and Pezzy).

I'd like to improve the armor on my pathy as I got quite a bit of damage on the Cherokee I used to own. The catch is that I live in Seattle so most of the places that I drive off road either involve puddles, streams, or both. I don't mind the dirt a bit, I just want to make sure that I am not going to add rock protection, only to increase water vulnerability.

Well, water does have a way of getting into everything... so it will get in there regardless... I can only assume you worry is a hard blast of water on the rad??? I've never had any issues with water, and I do some decent water crossings...

IMG_5487.jpg

Like V said, I'd rather deal with water than rocks, the rocks are a little less forgiving! :D

normal_IMG_1783.JPG

I can't find the better picture from the front....but that's me going through a 30"+ river crossing that was flowing pretty good. I haven't had any problems with water incursion. The splash guard wouldn't do anything in a situation like that anyways, as the water would come through the fenders, grille and everything else.

I can't find the better picture from the front....

Plus, it would just piss you off again that Pezzy's got the bumper you wanted.....better you posted that shot.... :P

I would say if your going to be hitting some serious water and not so much rocks fist off you might want a snorkel.. It just seems like you are really worried about that water. Personally I am not doing any really heavy duty wheeling or river crossing until I get some skids.

I think she was being facetious as well. :lol:

Word of the day...y'know. ;)

I know, I know... I want a set of the skids, sliders too, just waiting for the front/rear bumbs to finish.. Saving a little here and there..

I do not notice any difference in the amount of muddy spray in the engine compartment with my BP skid plates as compared to the plastic splash shield.

Hope this answers the orginal question. Gee, only took, what 3 posts? to go off topic on this? :D:lol:

Thanks again everybody.

Trainman, it looks like you're in my neck of the woods, so if you're good, I know I will be too.

Well, I am on the East side of the Cascades, so a wee bit drier than the Wet Coast :P

But yes, I take mine into the bush a fair bit, into the Cascades and I have no issues. You should do just fine.