Treo Lighter Charger Blows Fuse

tkpath

Does the cigarette lighter work? Try another accessory plug. That is, plug some other kind of 12v device into the socket. If the fuse blows again, it's likely something wrong with the socket.

If it doesn't blow, try just plugging the Treo plug into the socket (without the Treo attached). If it blows, then your new Treo power adapter is defective.

Edited by XPLORx4

How much current does the Treo require to charge it? If it is drawing more than the allotted amount...*pop goes the fuse-ee*

The charger could be improperly grounded, incomplete circuit...*pop goes the fuse-ee*

The ground to the power socket could be bad...*pop goes the fuse-ee*

Try to plug it into the rear socket and see what happens. It's on the back of the center console/armrest deal...

There's a rear socket in the car? I did not know that.

The lighter/charger worked with my old motorola phone just fine.

I don't know what it draws. I was hoping someone on the forum had a Treo and was ready to tell me it worked just fine. We'll see.

I'll do the rear socket thing .. hopefully that works fine and I'll just go to Nissan and pick up a new moderately priced socket for the front. As I have the thing apart now for the CD changer (who doesn't), it's good timing if that's all it is.

Thank you sir.

Let me run through the fix-it protocol and see if I can narrow it down.

Whoever said the Treo will not draw 15 amps has got to be correct. Probably is the socket .. I checked all connections when removing the CD changer today so maybe the fix is in.

So to speak.

I've got a Treo 650, with a split charger that also charges my GPS receiver while charging the phone. I've NEVER blown a fuse in my truck, so it's definitely not the phone draws too much power. Try a different charger if possible......

OK.

1. Found the other socket. I should look around the car more often, wonder what else is there.

2. Inserted phone and charger into other socket .. worked fine until I tried closing the armrest cover. Blew fuse.

3. Replaced fuse. Tried dash socket. Worked fine if I inserted the charger only part way (enough to activate charger and charge phone). However, when I pushed the charger into the socket all the way, it blew the fuse.

Charger has two metal springs on either side of prong but at tip of prong it has a retractable metal nipple .. about 1/4 inch max.

Any idea what is happening when I push the charger into the socket all the way? I guess when I closed the armrest cover in 2 above I created the same effect.

It's likely that the when you push the plug further into the socket, the metal springs (which are ground) on each side of the plug get pushed further into the plug body and contact a positive wire or connector inside the plug, creating a short circuit.

You can verify this by removing the plug from the car, and using an ohmmeter to measure the resistance between the positive (tip) and the side springs when you squeeze them in. If it measures 0 ohms when you squeeze the springs, but not when you release them, that's the problem.

Can you disassemble the plug? If not, just exchange it for a new one.

It was the ridiculously expensive charger they sold to me (Verizon) when I purchased phone last August. I think it was a 'verizon' charger .. probably meant to be the solution to any car lighter but I'll check.

Any better brand of charger out there?

Simon noted he has a Treo .. what charger do you use?

Thanks all .. I have my EE son visiting with me so I'll see if I can talk him into performing some of the steps noted above.

In the meantime, guess I'll just be careful inserting the charger.