Qx4 versus Pathfinder

cvearl

Is there any real difference aside from accents in the interior between the QX4 and Pathy models from the same years? (from 01 to 04).

Funtionally? Better noise dampening? Better suspensions? Anything structual like that?

In otherwords if you are blindfolded and go for a 15 minute ride on varrying terrains (sitting on a seat cover) in each a Chilkoot and a QX4, would you be able to tell. (not the driver of course).

C.

Functionally and mechanically, the QX4 and Pathfinder basically are the same, except only Pathfinders with the all-mode 4wd knob on the dash are the same as the QX4. Models with the lever-operated transfer case are different. Suspension tuning (springs/shocks) may also be slightly different, but Pathy and QX4 springs are interchangeable. The QX4 may have some additional cool features, such as remote rear glass release, and it has some different body trim, but everything else is close enough. Why do you ask?

Edited by XPLORx4

Functionally and mechanically, the QX4 and Pathfinder basically are the same, except only Pathfinders with the all-mode 4wd knob on the dash are the same as the QX4. Models with the lever-operated transfer case are different. Suspension tuning (springs/shocks) may also be slightly different, but Pathy and QX4 springs are interchangeable. The QX4 may have some additional cool features, such as remote rear glass release, and it has some different body trim, but everything else is close enough. Why do you ask?

Because I had the choice between the Chilkoot and QX4 of roughly the same year and KM's. But they were about $4,000 apart and was just second guessing my decision on the Chilkoot. But not now. Sounds like I saved myself $4,000.

I did not ask beforehand because I was afraid of what the answer might be. But I am still in love with my truck so all is well. Thanks.

:aok:

C.

Edited by cvearl

Actually, I find my Chilkoot very well appointed for a bush truck. The previous owner went and spent the extra $3,000 to $3,500 for the AT and AllMode options, it has the killer BOSE stereo :laugh: , and a lot of other stuff that would have been in the Q anyway. And I drive a Nissan, not an Infinity.

I was never quite sure about how Nissan was expecting to market these in Canada. The Chilkoot was the “base” unit, the the XE, SE and LE. And the Q as well. Way to many versions of the same thing, I think. But the best selling import SUV in Canada :aok:

The previous owner went and spent the extra $3,000 to $3,500 for the AT and AllMode options, it has the killer BOSE stereo  :laugh:  , and a lot of other stuff that would have been in the Q anyway.  And I drive a Nissan, not an Infinity.

I was never quite sure about how Nissan was expecting to market these in Canada.  The Chilkoot was the “base” unit, the the XE, SE and LE.  And the Q as well.  Way to many versions of the same thing...

Hmm..

Chilkoot all come with the AllMode options do they not?

Am I confused? Is that not the little knob that sets... 2WD, AUTO, 4WDH, 4WDL on the fly?

And for whatever reason I could not find an XE anywhere in Calgary on any of the lots. I was told Chilkoot was a slightly updated XE and replaced XE as the base model?

Chilkoot = Base....

incl, BOSE, Electric Doors, windows and all that, Leather Steeringwheel, Front Leather Armrest Storage Lid, Allmode 4WD on the fly and the Tube Step/Nerf Bar, Tinted Windows and so on.

SE = Add a sunroof and wheel flares and upgraded looking rims.

LE = Add leather and the front bumper lights and license plate cradle with lights.

QX4 = I was not sure. Except someone said that Infinity is to Nissan what Lexus is to Toyota? Which is why I originally wanted to know if the $4000 more for the QX4 was worth it. But in hindsight, I really like the Chilkoot look. More rugged in appearance?

C.

Edited by cvearl

Hmm..

Chilkoot all come with the AllMode options do they not?

Am I confused? Is that not the little knob that sets... 2WD, AUTO, 4WDH, 4WDL on the fly?

And for whatever reason I could not find an XE anywhere in Calgary on any of the lots. I was told Chilkoot was a slightly updated XE and replaced XE as the base model?

Chilkoot = Base....

incl, BOSE, Electric Doors, windows and all that, Leather Steeringwheel, Front Leather Armrest Storage Lid, Allmode 4WD on the fly and the Tube Step/Nerf Bar, Tinted Windows and so on.

LE = Add leather and the front bumper lights and license plate cradle with lights.

QX4 = I was not sure. Except someone said that Infinity is to Nissan what Lexus is to Toyota? Which is why I originally wanted to know if the $4000 more for the QX4 was worth it. But in hindsight, I really like the Chilkoot look. More rugged in appearance?

C.

I used this as my source for the info of what was avilable as stock:

Canadian Automotive Network 2002 Pathfinder Review

Can not remember where I got the pricing from, but that site also indicated that the 5 speed MT was standard and the AT was optional, with the AllMode another option on top of the AT.

Chilkoot = Base....

Yep, that is what AllMode is. Just do not shift to 4Wd Low "on the fly" or big ouch. Actualy, I do not think the computer would allow it anyway.

I have never seen an XE anywhere as well.

I have seen lots of SE's with the fog lights, even some Chilkoots.

• 2 weeks later...

ok i tried to search for my old thread that i started a while back but couldn't find it, this is pretty close as you guys discussed the mechanical differences.

in my Q, i have BOTH, the all-mode knob, and the transfer case lever. lever has 4hi & 4lo. i know that 4hi can be shifted on the fly, but does the knob have to be set to auto/4wd in order for the lever to actually be in 4wd? i've NEVER used the lever, not even in the snow. the knob does indeed engage auto and 4wd without any use of the transfer case lever.

i'm assuming that turning the knob into 4wd and putting the auto-shifter (not the transfer case lever) into 1st or 2nd gear is like 4lo. am i wrong? does the transfer case lever use some other "set of gears" that the knob doesn't?

to me, a lever AND a knob for 4wd is VERY redundant and unnecessary (if my above assumption is correct).

Edited by QuismO

Well, the Tcase as 2 speeds, 4lo and 4hi, putting it in 1st gear and 4lo is good for climbing hills and what not. 4hi and first gear is not the same as 4lo and first gear.

Edited by FLApathy

Well, the Tcase as 2 speeds, 4lo and 4hi, putting it in 1st gear and 4lo is good for climbing hills and what not. 4hi and first gear is not the same as 4lo and first gear.

sweet...thanks! i guess it ISN'T redundant having both the knob and the t-case lever -thnkboutit-

• 3 weeks later...

quick question...my cousin bought a '98 pathy, auto w/4wd. we've looked through the manual and are figuring out how to shift into 4hi. 4lo works as you just shift into it while stopped. but to shift into 4hi...we couldn't. the manual says that you can shift from 2hi to 4hi on the fly, but we can't even get the transfer case lever into 2hi to begin with. can anyone please chime in and shed some light on this for us? thanks a bunch.

If the lever is all the way forward, it's in 2HI. Pull back one notch to put it in 4HI. Press DOWN INTO on the lever while moving it backwards quickly to shift into 4LO. (It will pop back up when it's in 4LO.) To shift back into 4HI (and 2HI), push DOWN INTO the lever while moving it forwards. It will pop up again when it's in 4HI.

Guest pyrophilus

Back in 2001 when I got my 2001 Pathfinder LE, I had same dilemma.

I remember that the QX4 had FOUR-WHEEL disc brakes, while the pathfinders had front disc/rear drum.

The QX4 also has four-channel ABS, whereas the Pathifnders have three channel (one for each of two front discs and one channel for rear drums together).

The QX4 also has distronic cruise control (first car in Infiniti/Nissan to get this ever that year), which is also known as the "laser" cruise control. It actually slows down the car while in cruise control if the car infront slows down, and when there is nothing infront, it resumes the preset speed.

As for the QX4 owners who state that they have knob AND lever for the transfer case, I belive that is for the ones with VG33DE engines, except the 2000.5 QX4's.

QX4's from 2000.5 to 2004 have the lever-less, ONLY Knob all-mode AWD.

Pathfinders from 2001-present also have the lever-less knob only AWD.

Generally, if you have the VQ35DE with all-mode (regardless of nissan or infiniti), you have the lever-less AWD.

Only the 200.5 QX4 with the VG33DE engine has the newer knob-only system.

Other than that, it's mostly cosmetic:

QX4 has:

Electroluminescent gauge cluster

Xenon low beams

Electric (button on QX4 vs. lever on pathfinder) fuel door release

hatch release button on driver side door.

RDS on radio (unless you have 2002+ pathfinder)

higher-grade leather (than the Pathfinder LE leather)

17" Alloys (versus 16" on 01 LE, but 02+ pathfinder LE's have 17").

I think that's about it.