How many others have confidence in the Pathy

unccpathfinder

Well as far as the weight, Xj's are a unibody rig while your pathfinder has a boxed frame. From what ive notice while wheeling mine is the weight over the rear end on top of it being 4 linked helps plant that axle on the ground and hook pretty good. The IFS fronts dont do too much but the rear susp stock, esp if you disc the rear sway bar before wheeling, flexes pretty amazing for a stock older rig. Yea the 3.0 isnt a powerhouse but it does the job decent enough. Just be careful when pulling people out, I love helping fellow wheelers esp when they need it most, but at the same time, Ive had to get towed home cause I tried to tow a 8 lug k5 out of some mud and it tore my tie rods up.

I'm new to wheeling, always been a tuner guy, when I got my pathy I got it because people said it was pretty capable off road, but my question is why? Just cause it weighs so freaking much? (1000lbs more than a Cherokee)

But as for pulling people out and such, we are so underpowered... Is it the weight distribution? Or does everyone have LSD except me?? :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

The suspension is very forgiving. Every time I drive through mud it just seems like the truck slides along. No matter how deep the wheels go if one of them can touch anything it will keep moving. It's definitely not for pulling heavier trucks out. I have did it twice and both times I was simply beating on my clutch and snatching harder then you should.

Calibeater I am learning this. We have a place out here called no mans land. I have it made it most of the way across without falling into anything serious. Everyone says they haven't seen anything bigger then an atv make it in years. lol. Maybe with a little more experience and popping the pins like you said I can make a name for the pathfinder.

yea lol, the first time i ever did it wasnt on purpose, i snapped my rear swap bar and so i just had to rock with out one and saw that it did help the flex. I wouldnt suggest on road driving with out the rear one though lol. Im used to hoopty wheelers that have tons of body roll and it even worried me ha ha

I haven't towed or pulled anyone out yet with my PF but did it all the time with my old hardbody, never had a problem, except the suburban on 36's that got high centered trying to go over a hill, as soon as I pulled the truck off the hill and started to drive down the road I knew something was wrong, the front tire was making a weird noise, turned out when I pulled him and the front of my truck raised up it bent the crap out of the idler arm !!

Ah and being 4 linked is good? I noticed the shocks on ours are setup different than most American trucks ( where there's one each side of the axle instead of both on backside) all I know is ours looks cooler ;)

Strange how little I know about solid axles, when I can calculate roll center geometry and camber gain on macpherson and double wishbone setups...

Not to jack this thread or anything ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

4 link is good!!! Those trucks you speak of with one shock on each side of the axle are leaf sprung, which isnt bad,PLENTY of people have been doing nice leaf sprung setups but they can have bad axlewrap, and 4 links wont get that wrap like a leaf srpung suspension will.

Did my first tow out (in my hardbody) to my friends Cherokee and went surprisingly easy, obviously he was in reverse too.

image-24.jpg

But we ran into a strap issue, all we had was a 15' chain with one hook and nothin on the other side, and a 2500kg nylon rope I use for work, neither worked. Ended up borrowing a strap, just reached, and worked no problem. Now tonight ill be getting a good strap (3" by 30') and 2 shackles, so when my friend gets stuck next I can pull him out without borrowing a strap ;) I nicknamed my truck, first try nissan, haven't got stuck yet... Knock on wood

Edited by cvdloc

I ended up buying a 3" 30' at princess auto 27000lbs rating, comes in a case where I threw in a 5/8" and 3/4" shackles, and strap was on sale reg 70$ got it for 50$.