Timing belt broke

TheInstaller

OK, while cruising on the highway on Sunday, my timing belt broke. I have already replaced it, but when I started the truck up it was running really rough. After some testing, I found that I can remove all the odd numbered plug wires and it runs the same. If I try removing one of the even number plug wires, it won't even start.

I figure I have some belt valves on the on the passenger side, but is it possible that I somehow miss timed that cam? I checked the all the timing marks, but is it possible I somehow still have it out of time where only one bank of cylinders is correct?

lol. that totally sux installer! me sowee 4 u.

yes. that one cam could be out or not TDC..... and the teeth has already been answered i guess........ i will now sulk back off to my corner.......

Since it is all on one side, yes, I'd guess it could be mistimed. If the marks line up, then count the teeth between and go from there. Could that head be fubared enough that it won't make any difference ??

What year truck, and how many miles on it/since the last T-belt change ??

B

Guest wirespider

Yep I'm more inclined to agree with 87pathy. From my experience, if the belt broke and you wasn't just putting a new one on you can pretty much count on those valves being messed up.

Based on what happened on mine, Im betting bent valves....

But it could be that it is just the timing, If you have a timing light check it, when I put my jdm back together it was dead nuts per the book, but my Distributor was off by about 3 teeth....

Double check the Timing marks on the cams and crank, compression check it... The Dizzy will not affect the compression, but if your cam is off by even 1 tooth it can run like $hit...

I need to replace my timing belt sometime soon.. but my mechanic said that with this type of engine if the timing belt broke.. the engine would be ok.. but after hearing what happened to you two would it be safer to replace it now?

Id agree with the guys before me if your cruising and your interference engine's

t-belt broke your going to bend some valves do a compression check to be sure

but you can bet youll be doing some head work soon hopefully not for your sake but pathys are if im correct all interference motors sorry :hide:

JoeBob Posted: Aug 2 2006, 11:21 AM   

I need to replace my timing belt sometime soon.. but my mechanic said that with this type of engine if the timing belt broke.. the engine would be ok.. but after hearing what happened to you two would it be safer to replace it now?

Do it now not later.... And Find a new Mechanic, that one does not know $hit...

when i broke my belt i bent the exhaust in # 1 and #3 and the intake in #1...she ran like @!*% but she ran...to trouble shoot either run a compression test on each cylinder...the poor mans way get a good set of insulated plyers and pull 1 plug wire at a time if the idle changes/dies then that cylinder is good if nothing changes then that cylinder is dead...

most likely a bent valve...if thats the case u can get the parts and do the job ureself in a day and a half if u've got some help and have a decent mechanical ability...

i also have 2 good heads if u end up needing them make an offer and u can have'em

if u've got a 4 banger u've got a chain i believe and its non interference...if its a v6 u're mechanic is wrong and i'd change it before its due or get it in writing that if it breaks he'll pay for everything and some1 else to do the work (so he cant shortcut)

from left to right...bent bent straight bent

2050078_46_full.jpg

Edited by unccpathfinder