36mm VW axle nut

Precise1

take a dremil with a cut off wheel and cut it down 1 side

Yes, that is the last resort but at this point it is more of a challenge... :D

heat it up hit it a few times with the hammer and then use the breaker bar.

Done that... twice... ;)

Seriously though, I'm sure the impact gun will deal with it, I just need to get the compressor from a co worker and have some free time.

:beer:

B

OOps, my mistake Red... :unsure::D

Well, so far the impact gun @100+ psi has had no effect... This weekend I'll try heating them, but I'm begining to wonder. Next step will be just to cut them off... P...

B

Sure thing Mr. It takes me 9 months to install a motor...

whats wrong with that :D...but over my 9 months time i've installed 2 engines im begging for a crank up this weekend without any fires explosions or anything but just a plain crank....

but good luck with those nuts...

have u tried the cheap breaker bar from pepboys with a insanely long pipe?

u can also try to heat them up red hot and qwench them sometimes that breaks them loose

also what is the spring preload in the impact...i know mine is kinda weak but theres 1 that a buddy has that will break almost anything loose (hes a manager at napa so we just borrow it cuze its like $300 or some insane ammount)

Thanks to all the suggestions, mws for the socket, my co-worker for the air compressor, another co-worker for the cut off wheel and my work place for the impact gun. I GOT THE DAMN NUTS LOOSE !!! -bounce-

After soaking them for over a week, the trick was to heat them up a lot and hammer on them for about 5 minutes a piece. I made a mark to see if they rotated and after 2 minutes, I saw about 5 degrees movement. It took a full 1/4 turn before they became 'free' and spun off. The final VooDoo factor was that I had an air grinder with a cut off wheel sitting next to me that was primed for use for when my last try failed. The nuts saw it and realized they had better break free or be forever destroyed. I have some serious thread filing to do though... ;)

B

post-1-1155700799.jpg

Yeah, I saw a cheepo air tool kit at Costco for about $80 last weekend and passed it up. Next weekend I'm going to buy it and start shopping for a decent air compressor. I do enough of this kind of work that it will pay for its self, not to mention the mods that I have planned. What the hell, I love tools... :D

B