Poor idle, dies, runs poorly

BKinzey

Wheee! A fun time. Lately my Pathy has been running poorly. Sometimes it idles rough, dies at stops, sputters some at acelleration. I took it by a shop and the poured some super duper injection cleaner (it must be! Ran $100) and it ran better for about a month. They also checked for codes and didn't find any. Started sputtering again and I ran injector cleaner for a few tanks. Anyhoo right now it runs less than normal and I've had a few bouts of it dying at intersections. The last bout included a few fun moments of it dying when I coast up to a stop, making a turn and at least twice after acceleration up to speed. As in from a stop up to 35, let off the gas and Hey! It's dead!

It's getting dangerous to drive in traffic.

While at a stop I've been shifting into neutral. The engine lopes at idle and usually sputters at take off. Sometimes I can feel it "miss" on acelleration. As if one cylinder misses like 2 or 3 times in a row.

Remember currently this is intermittent. Roll the dice by turning the key. It is getting worse though.

I thought I'd just go ahead and replace the fuel injectors and maybe the MAF.

Next problem is the on line parts houses ask about what color dot my injectors are (blue or black, I think) I dunno :rolleyes:

So I thought I'd ask how to tell about what dot or if I can tell before removing the damn things. Any other suggestions on what it could be?

Lastly, I found a set of rebuilt injectors for $160, got a better price?

Thanks

-alcohol- :oops:

what year pathy? my '92 has blue dots on the injectors. have you checked all you plugs n wires? you could have a bad wire somewhere..... check all your vaccum lines and sensors.. something could be loose. also.. check your fuel filter.. it could be blocked.. run some lucas fuel treatment through it with every other fill up too.. i swear b the stuff.... :aok:

auto or manual? clean eyr MAF sensor while yer moochin around too ;)

Edited by Slick

Hmmm...sounds like you might have a vacuum leak somewhere. Injectors might, but rarely, give the symptoms you're having. If injectors are clogged or bad you'll have rough running fairly consistantly.

I'd start by making sure everything that can be changed during a tune up is done. Cap/rotor, plugs, good wires, air filter, fuel filter, pcv valve, etc, etc.

THEN, see how it runs and take it from there.

Let us know how it goes.

Be careful with what you clean it with.

Try to find an MAF specific cleaner and NOT just carburetor cleaner like most auto parts folks will give you. In lieu of that electrical cleaner does a similar job.

However, I think CRC is widely distributing their MAF product now.

Do you still have the original air box set up? Because a few of us were haveing the same problem. And what it is (poor design) The hood pushes down on the MAf wires and causes it to run ruff. I cut a hole in the heat shield so it dosnt hit the wiring and now it dosnt happen anymore. When its running ruff, jiggle the wires and see if the idle changes. Good luck. :beer:

post-6-1153316676.jpg

I'm with Killvox....had the same issue earlier this week....jiggled the connector....purring like a japanese kitten now.

Got pics. of one 

Just go look at some of rennwerkes avatar's sly

My 95 did this to me awhile back, no error codes on the ecu, just ran like $hit and would not idle, died when rolling to a stop... Frustrating as all hell...

I cleaned my MAF, did not help, replaced all my Vac tubing, nuffing, reset the ecu nuffin. New fuel filter nuffin,Disconnected the battery for 24 hours nuffin, disconnected all the wiring and reconnected it, moved them around with it running, new cap & rotor... I was to a point I was going to take it to the stealership and poof it ran perfect....

I have no idea why it was not running correctly, it did however fix itself... once in a while it will have a small hiccup or slight studdar, typically after a cold start.

Just go look at some of rennwerkes avatar's sly

I try to stick with Nissan's ethnic heritage! :laugh:

The hood is something I never thought about. In fact, I've been told by one of the parts guys that as the electrical harness gets older it becomes more and more brittle. Wires are prone to cracking and causing problems that can be very difficult to track down.

But given the symptoms of this case I'd still think it's air related. Often times older hoses can start to crack and through Murphy's Law the crack will ALWAYS be in a place you can't see!!! :angry:

But given the symptoms of this case I'd still think it's air related. Often times older hoses can start to crack and through Murphy's Law the crack will ALWAYS be in a place you can't see!!! :angry:

that's why i put ALL NEW hoses/lines on the purple turd before i put her in..... sly

It's an aftermarket air cleaner. I made a brace for it. A few months ago I was having some hood fitment problems, still do, and I futzed with the air cleaner brace. Yep, they wuz rubbin'. So I lowered the brace. We'll see what that does. I may need to re-wire the MAF connector. Doesn't look bad bit it is a little floppy at the wires.

Thanks! :D:clap:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 years later...

AWESOME! I just got done dealing with the exact thing. Pisses me off. Guess I'll be busy this weekend looking things over. I really want/need to hook up ancold air tube & filter. The original hose is messed up from doing the body lift. I didn't move the bracket & the air box at all.

I had the same problem possibly bad gas, but i added the stp fuel system treatment and took it right on back to normal. also check the spark plugs the might be missing. and theres a screw somewhere near the drive shaft that will turn up the idle speed.

:scratchhead: