Squeaky Calmini UCA's.

Earth1

Since this seems to be an ongoing topic at NOR, I thought I would bring it to the table here. Has anyone with Calmini UCA's experienced excessively squeaky bushings?

If so:

1. What color are your bushings?

2. When did you buy the UCA's, or last replace the bushings?

If not:

3. What type of lubricant did you use?

4. How often do you grease them?

I've had no luck keeping mine from annoying the crap out of me. The last time I pulled them out and lubed they started creaking the next day.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont know too much on the subject, however I do know that the Xterra guys have the same problems, and have yet to find a decent fix... They even fabbed their own brand of bushings... I'm not too sure how they ended up working out.

I have '90 Pathy with Calmini lift and have same problem. I can temporarily solve problem with spray on lithium grease.Works for about 1 week and is cheaper then messing with UCAs or bushings. May try lithium cartridge grease next.---glenn

a friend of mine wit an X tapped grease fitting into the UCAs

Sounds like that might be the way to go. Wouldn't happen to have any pics would you? How did he seal the fitting?

I can temporarily solve problem with spray on lithium grease.

Do you have the light green bushings? That stopped working for me some time ago. Now even if I take the bushings out and pack everything with grease, they just start creaking the next day.

What material are the bushings, polyurathane ?

Some kind of hard plastic. Calmini said they were some kind of oil infused material, can't remember what he called it. Sounded like BS.

Some kind of hard plastic. Calmini said they were some kind of oil infused material, can't remember what he called it. Sounded like BS.

Not necessarily, I know of several types of oil filled plastics, even porous bronze and aluminum. My reason for asking is to find the correct type of lubricant for the type of material. If you find out what they are, let me know and I'll try to find some info. I recently put polyurathane bushings in my bug and they came with some super thick lubricant (way thicker than honey) and no squeaks...

B

Not necessarily, I know of several types of oil filled plastics,

Hell, plastic is made from oil.

Mine are made from really hard rubber (similar to motormount grade) and lubed in what im guessing is waterproof grease. No squeeks, in fact, perfect operation.

GrimGreg, we understand you hate Calmini, so please troll some more.

Yes, the squeaking is the poly bushings. They hold up better and longer, but yes, they do squeak. I've had my CALMINI 3" lift for a few months now and I squirt them with some WD40 once in awhile to help the squeaks. The color of the bushings are a lime green color. The UCA spindle slides through them. Any other questions, let us know! :beer:

a friend of mine wit an X tapped grease fitting into the UCAs

Sounds like that might be the way to go. Wouldn't happen to have any pics would you? How did he seal the fitting?

Here are a few pics from a friend of ours...

024.jpg

025.jpg

028.jpg

030.jpg

I thought the older pathys came with zerks?

Mine are made from really hard rubber (similar to motormount grade) and lubed in what im guessing is waterproof grease. No squeeks, in fact, perfect operation.

So you have the Calmini arms with those bushings, right? I wonder which ones they are sending out now?

Thnks for the pics Pezzy! :aok: Where can you find the little "nipple" sssh thing he put on there?

I recently put polyurathane bushings in my bug and they came with some super thick lubricant (way thicker than honey) and no squeaks...

That sounds like some good lube. Any idea where I can find something like that?

Why do I feel like I'm doing Calmini's footwork for them?

Hang on a second... Those pics look like his bushings are installed with the larger end toward the rear of the truck on both sides of the arms. I didn't have any instructions with mine and assumed the wide end of the bushings went on the outside of the arms. ???

Thnks for the pics Pezzy! :aok: Where can you find the little "nipple" sssh thing he put on there?

Up here we can get the zerks at Canadian Tire...

...or pretty much any Auto Parts store...

Any autoparts store should carry "Zerk fittings" - in straight or angled versions. You will need to get the correct drill and tap to install them.

And polyurethane have been famous for years for two things:

- much stiffer and more controlled feeling than rubber

- SQUEEEEEEKKKK.... If not right away, almost always within a few thousand miles.

Rubber bushings are generally bonded inside and out and do not rotate - just the flexure of the rubber allows displacement. Polyurethane does not flex very much at all so it must rotate or slide on the steel shaft. Squueeeekkk...

That sounds like some good lube. Any idea where I can find something like that

It came in a little clear, unmarked tube, but I'll call the company I got the parts from and try to find out what it is and where to get it....

B

Older Pathys do not come with grease zerks for the UCA's. Actually, none of them do.

Earth1: the bushings are installed right. The big end goes on the outside edge of the spindle. Yours are installed correctly.

MWS has it exactly right. Polyurethane usually does squeak. The rubber twists instead and doesn't rotate, therefore no squeaks with rubber bushings.

Ok, Earth1 and all others interested, this is what I learned after a few phone calls and key strokes.

1) The place that I got my Bug's polyurathane bushings from doesn't know what the lubricant is; it comes in unlabled 1 use packets from their bushing supplier. I requested they ask and they said they'd try.

2) The VERY knowledgeable and helpful rep I have dealt with several times said the closest stuff to that is high viscosity trailer chassis and/or bearing grease for marine applications. He says he has polyu bushings in all his vehicles, uses that and narry a squeak. After some research, it makes perfect sense.

3) Inherently ployu bushings can squeak (definitely if not lubed) but I contest 88 and mws that they always will; I have had good luck with them, and I HATE squeaks.

Those of you who are using WD40, its a water displacer, perhaps light lubricant and rust prohibitor that will not last. I actually use it on bushings 1 at a time to chase down which one does squeak, not for any lasting protection. Silicone spray is about the same.

This is what I found searching about. The key is to have a high viscosity, waterproof grease with good adherency and high film strength. What I used seemed like a tacky paste that was hard to spread, stuck to everything and wouldn't wipe off. This example seems to be right on the mark and quite cheap, although it might mean disassembly required unless you have zerks or are installing fresh. Regardless, it's probably worth buying a tub to have for when it is appropriate...

http://www.hondapartsworld.com/index.asp?P...ROD&ProdID=4308

This one claims it is compatible with most rubbers and plasics, and comes in an optional aerosol which may mean you are able to apply it well enough without disassembly. If you back up and look at their entire selection, it seems like they have some nice waterproof bearing and chassis/drivetrain grease for those of you who submerge often. No, just 'cause it's grease doesn't mean its truely waterproof.

http://www.neosyntheticoil.com/watrcrft.htm

Word of advice, have everything ready and use gloves when applying stuff like this, I'm still trying to get the stuff I used off of a few wrenches and C clamps !

Did anyone actually install their polyu bushings with out lubricant ? Or did you just use moly or bearing grease ?

Use at your own risk, but I'd try it if I was creaking around every corner. GL, and let me know what you think.

B

Wow. Thanks a ton Precise1! :D I'm going to experiment with one on both sides just for kicks. I might also go the zerk route to make it easier later. I'll follow up on this post after the stuff gets here and I've driven it for a while.

That neosynthetic sounds intriguing... Somebody try it! I would like to use polyurethane, but I hate squeeking so much I have avoided it.

I'm also wondering how well a high temp antiseize compound would do? I have Nikasil in the garage - it is a thick grease with various additives. I use it on my trailer ball and it has proven to be an awesome lubricant under heavy loads - no more ball galling! And no more squeek.