Fixing Drivers Side Window

Harbinger

Hi all, My recently aquired 87 was tipped onto its drivers side while on a Search and Rescue venture with the previous owner. He had the door fixed so it would open, but the window does not roll down with out some physical help. I have power windows.

Is there a easy way to take the door apart and see if I can fix this?

Edited by Harbinger

Ok :-) The guy I bought this from made it out to be a scary process that involved a lot of broken clips. Guess he didn't research enough eh?

Will give this a try when i can get some daylight or some warmer weather (darn graveyard shifts)

Edited by Harbinger

Sounds like you have a tweaked window channel or two. I made my own little panel removal tool out of some scrap flat stock... just cut like a "v" in the end, wrap the handle end in good ol' duct tape. In a pinch 2 butter knives will work too... just doesn't leave you a free hand to pull on the panel. Above all be gentle, otherwise you can rip the clips right through the panel, then it'll never stay on unless you screw it in place. :furious:

Edited by hardwaretoad

• 5 months later...

Ok, I finally got around to doing this so I thought I'd bring this post back from the dead.

I've got everything torn apart, and now I can see that the front of the window has somehow jumped itself out of the guide.

My question is, how do I adjust the window to reseat it?

As a side note, I used a pair of wire crimpers as a panel tool -- didn't get a single broken clip B)

Edited by Harbinger

there should be 2 bolts in a mount on the bottom of the window, loosen them and you should be able to move the window around, remove them and the window can be removed (not a simple process).

(not a simple process).

You weren't kidding :blink:

So I got the window back into the rail ok, but now try as I might it still stops about 2 inches from the top of the window. It will go all the way to the top with some rocking, but I'm stumped. :shrug:

I'm guessing the door itself got bent out of wack, right above the mirror you can see a slight bow in the door, even though it still shuts and latches (With no perceptible leaks).

Sorry Bud, never had any need to pull the panel and I'm not inclined to do it for no reason... :P Seriously though, anyone have a photo or exploded view so he can see if all the parts are there ?

B

Sorry, just one lift rod on ours, it's more of a center guide. (Some ccars use swinging rods). There are adjustments at the bottom of each end rail, at the bottom of the center guide. The 2 bolts I mentioned before also have a little adjustment to them.

it's been a while since i was in the doors but i think you can move the side channels.. some trucks have just center rods... you'll just have to monkey with that untill the window tracks better...

i'll be in my door this weekend so i'll try to look for you.. if nothing else works try to open the "good" door up for reference...

Thanks for the help guys :beer: -- I still wasn't able to get it fixed, I tried every adjustment I could and still no luck. Its almost like its getting hung up somewhere along the line. But for the life of me I couldn't find what was causing it. :confused:

I'm wondering if the door itself is causing this, due to the truck being tipped on the drivers side. I'll have to hit up the J/Y for another door if I ever make it out that way. Unless you guys have some better ideas that is. :shrug:

Its on the up, about 2-3 inches from the window. I have to rock the window back and forth to get it to move up, and I have to pull up on the window to get it all the way sealed.

It moves up and down in a much more jerky fashion than the passenger window. I haven't had a chance to rip open the passenger side to compare yet.

kind of sounds like it maybe the door itself.. hard to tell from a far. it could also be the tracks... they may have a slight bend from the roll..

before you attached it did you slide it up and down manually? that may give you a hint where it's binding.. is the channel in the door crimpt kind of tight where you said it was damaged?

I didn't see any crimping in the channels -- there was one spot in the front near the window that I thought the rubber stripping might be causing that, but still no luck.

I didn't move it manually through the whole track -- thats a good idea, might have to rip back into it tonight. Should take a gander at the passenger side too if I get that far into it. (Definatley going to need some more beer)

And yeah, it does go up and down with help, and with the weather the way it is its going to stay down for most of the time anyways, just sucks to pull over to roll up the window. :angry:

it's probably something minute.. drink up it will come to you :lol:

True, I thought I had fixed mine in my old Honda once, put everything back together and it started binding again, took it all apart again and found out the bolts on the bottom of the window weren't completely tightened.