Rear Storage Options

5523Pathfinder

So, I know some have built a storage container in the rear of thier pathfinders, and thats great and all, but im not so handy with woodworking tools. I have pondering the idea of a small "tool" or "storage" box in the rear, possibly carried over from the UTV/ATV world. They have smaller options as thats what I am thinking about. I dont want something that will soak up the entire rear storage, but something to put straps, tools, ect in that I can lock and will be secure. So, if you have something, can you post a pic or a description of what you got. Thanks guys.

I know it's not really what you are after, but I have a large Rubbermaid bin in the back that I secure with a cargo net against the rear seats (could also be bolted in place). It is not see through, it is lockable and it holds oil, water, tie down straps, tree saver, 30,000 lb strap, D rings, snatch block, 50' rope, sleeping bag, spare belts and hoses along with items I don't recall and there is still some rom. I'll take a picture if you want. Cheap and easily removable. :shrug:

B

Mines about as cheap and simple as it gets.

I've got the tow strap, large wrenchs, hammer, PB blaster, oil, p/s fluid, tube of grease, duct tape, gloves, paper towels (doubles as tp!), etc. in the plastic tote. I put a couple of "eye" hooks in the back of the seat to keep it in place with a bungee cord.

In between the tote and the sub is a small tool bag that has all of my socket wrench goodies, flash lights, mechanic's mirror, etc. I shave my head so I am always keeping my headwear options plenty. So the bag doubles as a hat rack! :lol:

401349245.jpg

Edited by devonianwalk

Years ago and not sure if they still sell it, someone (can't recall brand name) used to sell a tool box designed to install in the bed of pickups that had a mounting frame that you would attach to the bed, than you would position the tool box over it and inside the box there were 4 metal rods you turned to lock it down to the base. May be something to look into as you could have it securely mounted but than remove it if/when you needed more space.

found one, this one is metal, think they used to sell a plastic one (I had one way back), and this metal one:

http://www.ruralking.com/delta-steel-portable-chest-with.html?utm_medium=google&utm_source=cse&cvsfa=1908&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=303032343332303034

Edited by ahardb0dy

• 2 weeks later...

Derek, here is a picture of what I use. Nothing fancy, but it is lockable (if only against honest people) and could be bolted to the floor as well. I keep mine loose but strapped down tight against the back of the seats. The bag on the left is an emergency road kit with everything from a cheesy air compressor to a first aid kit and wool blanket. The bag on the right is my tool bag with enough tools to repair anything I could/would on the side of the road. It leaves plenty of room for other use as well...

071.jpg

B

P2272812.jpg

That is exactly what I want to build! That way I can keep the rear seats usable. I just need a battery box on one side with a shelf for the inverter, and a rifle rack for when I'm hunting.

James

One Word......

BRILLIANCE! :takebow:

Yes I remember this guys posts. That is not the first one that he has done, he had an older model that was quite amazingly modded out as well...

I love the home made wooden cabinets. I just wish I was handy with wood... they look amazing.

I just wish I was handy with wood...

:gay::lol:

I had a cheap bright azz danger green plastic tote for a wHile but just recently threw it out as it had the stained smell of used gear oil from driving around with the rear 3rd member outa the 4runner in it for a couple weeks :FartExplode-vi: I got more of em...

I forgot to add this before. I thought I did. Pics from another site.

IMG_6430.jpg

IMG_6348.jpg

IMG_6425.jpg

IMG_6417.jpg

P2272812.jpg

Awesome post DOWSER I have always liked this type of setup. I have been seeing them for years in Australian 4WD magazine's . Maybe the next project.

Ok, so going nuts to have a bunch of drawers and stuff, is a little out of my range and want.

So, I did find a box. While browsing the isles of BigLots, I found a Storage Trunk by Superbox, for the grand total of $20. So I bought it and just got done mounting it up.

I removed the rear tiedown cleats in the rear on the right side(pic is left side for reference)...

rearbox001.jpg

Removed cleats(once again the right side)

rearbox002.jpg

I measured to the outermost bolts, marked drilled holes, then used the old mounts for a template so all four bolt holes could be used......

rearbox003.jpg

And load it up with stuff!!!!!

rearbox007.jpg

Closed and ready to use(oh, it opens perfect through the rear glass when opened..

rearbox004.jpg

And still have room for my sub(when Im not out playing)...

rearbox008.jpg

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

Yep, that's what I was talking about bolting the box down to. Might be a good idea to get the biggest fender washers you can find on all the bolts though, even better some sheet metal plates...

B

I did use some washers! I need one more, I just didnt have time to trim and fit it(look at the third pic). I will tell you what, that thing is good and solid. I was yanking it around and it wasnt going anywhere. Figured I would put a carabeaner(sp) clip through the lock hole for now.

• 11 months later...

I've been looking around and trying to find a picture that I saw once upon a time... It was of the rear hatch, and there were some tools mounted to it. (Shovel, I think?) It kinda falls into the same category as this thread so thought I'd post here. Anybody else seen that picture? or know who's ride it was? I really want to see how it was done again. Thanks!

Edited by Iceman2989