Broke my Warn Premium hubs Wheeling

msavides

Well

I did not think i could break them But I did.

The selector flew off well after the hub quit locking.

I had a great time breaking them though

1001089l.jpg

Edited by msavides

Looking at thae picture it looks like most of your snap ring isn't sitting in the groove, maybe that was part of the cause, or part of the effect?

I did not notice that. But I have not tore it apart yet.

Warn says to send them in. They said that I have to send them both in cause they only replace them as a pair. Seems strange. But I don't want to leave my truck hubs torn apart during the exchange. So I think i will buy a new set and put them on and then when they are swapped I will have a spare set. However I will not need 2 hubs as a trail spare only one. Perhaps I can find someone who wants a trail spare and will buy 1 off of me. Anyone??

Mark

Grenaded:

DSCN4817.jpg

DSCN4821.jpg

The 2 bolts missing I backed out before snapping the pic...had wheel spin on that tire in the air and it came down and grenaded....had pieces 50' away luckily my spotter ducked and missed most of it

DSCN4834.jpg

Same thing happened to me. Although I think your tire was spinning a lot faster than mine. I had my front Air locker engaged as well. I Should have took it a bit slower. But Breaking things makes you learn patience.

DID you get yours covered under warranty?

Warn is pretty good with warranty/replacement parts. I got mine from the junkyard and needed some parts and they sent them to me for free and not even being the original purchaser ! Think that's pretty good of them

I didn't even try to get warranty replacement...I bought a set off of here for cheap and swapped out the center gear...i was being patient just trying to bump it over and well i finally bumped over and snap...much better than a CV of front axle

I didn't even try to get warranty replacement...I bought a set off of here for cheap and swapped out the center gear...i was being patient just trying to bump it over and well i finally bumped over and snap...much better than a CV of front axle

Yea I think yours broke more because of the missing bolts then impatience. Mine broke from 100% impatience.

Live and learn.

Just got my replacement hubs I just purchased from amazon. Now to just make some time to swap them and ship them back to Warn.

I must have misread I thought you were missing the bolts. That is some major release of force to bust that hub apart like that. Guess there was some weak spots in the casting of that hub. HMMM. Perhaps I should carry 2 as spares.

Edited by msavides

Yea I think yours broke more because of the missing bolts then impatience. Mine broke from 100% impatience.

Live and learn.

haha, why doesn't THAT surprise me? lols. good to see you're still out there wheelin and havin fun!

haha, why doesn't THAT surprise me? lols. good to see you're still out there wheelin and havin fun!

I went wheeling for the first time in over a year. I did not really want to go, I was forced. But once I went over a few obstacles and having a car full of people encouraging me I actually started to have fun and remembered what it was like to wheel. then I got too confident and too impatient and well there you have it brought back down to reality. It was well worth the $150 for the new hubs. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

The problem now is, there is nobody here to go wheeling with anymore. sniff sniff

I went wheeling for the first time in over a year. I did not really want to go, I was forced. But once I went over a few obstacles and having a car full of people encouraging me I actually started to have fun and remembered what it was like to wheel. then I got too confident and too impatient and well there you have it brought back down to reality. It was well worth the $150 for the new hubs. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

The problem now is, there is nobody here to go wheeling with anymore. sniff sniff

:( I loved wheelin with you. You'd LOVE it out here. I'm goin again Sunday :jig: you should harass B to go with you, hell, he needs to get that thing off road lol

So they both broke at the same time? Congratulations!

what actually happened it the half shaft broke at an angle. when I continued to drive it pushed the broken piece outward and busted the Hub. There is no way Warn is going to honor a warranty on this. the inside of the hub is all gouged out by the broken pieces as it turned. I will just keep the one I have as a spare.

This Probably would not have broken if I had not had my locker engaged. I ended up putting my nissan factory half shaft back in (replaced the boots on them 2 years ago).

I still had fun breaking them, But the verdict is still out weather is was worth a broken half shaft and a broken hub.

Mark

Ok Here's what really happened.

Pictures worth a thousand words

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/828/1001103w.jpg/

what actually happened it the half shaft broke at an angle. when I continued to drive it pushed the broken piece outward and busted the Hub. There is no way Warn is going to honor a warranty on this. the inside of the hub is all gouged out by the broken pieces as it turned. I will just keep the one I have as a spare.

This Probably would not have broken if I had not had my locker engaged. I ended up putting my nissan factory half shaft back in (replaced the boots on them 2 years ago).

I still had fun breaking them, But the verdict is still out weather is was worth a broken half shaft and a broken hub.

Mark

OUCH! that looks painful! but all ing ood fun i guess. i managed to get attacked by a tree, break a tail light and pretzel my quarter panle saturday night lol. i just smiled n laughed.

And just as I thought, the warn Fuse did absolutely nothing to save My Half Shaft. Although I was looking at posts of other people who have busted Half Shafts and Nobody's broke in the same spot as mine. Theirs all broke at the inner or the outer CV.

Has anyone else seen a half shaft break at the splines?

I am thinking that buying those cheap half shafts at rock auto may be the reason it broke there. Perhaps a defect. hmm. Well one of my rebuilt factory ones are back in now. Lets see if I can brake the other cheap china one.