Problem with Trans-Dapt oil filter relocation kit

Precise1

Well, I changed all my belts today and noticed a little oil under the oil filter relocation mount. I wiped everything clean, checked the hose/barb fitting and started the motor. Sure enough, a drip. I tightened the pipe thread fitting and there was more leak. I put hose clamps on the barb section and even more leak. Actually 1/2 way between oozing and pissing.

All I can think of is that the swivel pipe thread/barb fitting is failing (definitely has some play in it, it appears to be a crimped POS). I pulled the fitting and cut the hose 1/2 from the end. I'm pretty sure that we have these barb fittings at work so I'm going to borrow a couple and plumb it without this swivel fitting nonsense. Why did they think they were necessary for the kit? Just don't put fittings on one end of the line and let the customer install the barb fitting in the relocation mount and then put the hose on it...

When I change my wheel bearings (in the air/no tire on) I will make sure there are no new leaks at the adapter mount and install some hose clamps for peace of mind, even though they are solid fittings. Odd though, I have never heard of anyone complaining about this before, or perhaps I don't recall. :shrug:

Three reasons I bring this up:

1) If this had failed somewhere remote I would have been screwed. Failing catastrophically would have left me stranded, regardless of where. I'd prefer not to spray oil inside the engine compartment until I noticed the idiot light.

2) Has anyone else had any issue with this, or is it just my luck that my kit included some crappy fittings?

3) Be warned!! If you have one installed, take a good look at it and be forewarned. If don't want to worry about it, you may want to change out the swivel barb fitting for a solid one.

:beer:

B

I had the same problem with the swivel hose ends, too. Not initially, but after I tried to move the oil filter end around in the engine bay to remount it is when it started to drip. It might've been that I flexed it too much trying to get it to fit where I wanted it. I think I ended up with the same fix as you mentioned, but I've since bought new 36" lines and located the filter on the trans crossmember. Losta space under there.

i wrapped my fittings in teflon tape before i assembled everything. my old man bitched at me because he thinks there is a chance of bits of teflon tape finding it's way into the oil circulation system.

The fittings still leak a tiny but. It's enough to saturate the exposed threads, but it doesn't drip or anything.

I use a single wrap of teflon tape myself, but I make sure it doesn't hang past the first thread. The source of the leak, though, is the swivel joint its self. My workplace generously donated two new brass, solid barb fittings and an assortment of hose clamps. ;)

B

• 1 month later...

Yes, they suck! :D

Not at first as JJ pointed out, but after a couple oil changes/movements of the fittings/hoses. Changed my oil tonight and now mine are leaking more that is acceptable, as nige defined.

Looks like some solid barb fittings are in my near future now too P...

Yes, they suck! :D

Not at first as JJ pointed out, but after a couple oil changes/movements of the fittings/hoses. Changed my oil tonight and now mine are leaking more that is acceptable, as nige defined.

Looks like some solid barb fittings are in my near future now too P...

Damn!

Will have to look at mine closely.

I use a single wrap of teflon tape myself, but I make sure it doesn't hang past the first thread. The source of the leak, though, is the swivel joint its self. My workplace generously donated two new brass, solid barb fittings and an assortment of hose clamps. ;)

B

yes, they are indeed very generous. ;)

• 5 months later...
jj big shoe Posted Dec 7 2008, 06:16 PM

I had the same problem with the swivel hose ends, too. Not initially, but after I tried to move the oil filter end around in the engine bay to remount it is when it started to drip. It might've been that I flexed it too much trying to get it to fit where I wanted it. I think I ended up with the same fix as you mentioned, but I've since bought new 36" lines and located the filter on the trans crossmember. Losta space under there.

Hey JJ.

have you got a Picture of how you mounted that to your Transmission Crossmember? I'd like to see that. I'm contemplating where to mount mine and although I could fit it in the engine bay as many others have, I'm thinking of the Oil mess My clumsy hands would no doubt make in that location so looking at other places. If anyone else has one installed anyplace other then the engine bay and you read this, mind throwing a picture up too?

And Also so as not to :jacked: this Old post, Thanks for the reminder B. I'll make sure to just put the Solid Brass fittings on my initial Installation. :aok:

Only do it if you don't like oil leaks.

As for placement of the filter, have you considered the search function?? :D

:beer:

B

How do you think I found this DEAD Thread? I've looked at many installations already that include nige's, Pickles, Filthy's, Redpath88's, barthol's and a few more that I used the search function for. If jj had a write up with photos on the subject then I've not been successful in finding it. Thanks for the vote of confidence about using the search function, but lets try and save them for the noobs. :new576:

Edited by Dowser

LOL, no worries Spunky...

I don't recall if JJ wrote an official write up, but I do remember him posting a picture somewhere when he relocated it to the tranny cross brace. It was pretty simple and straight forward with plenty of access room. It was on top of the brace with the oil filter pointing straight back IIRC.

B

• 5 years later...

I have found that there is an industrial supplies warehouse just down the street. We get their catalog, that's where I get my stuff from but I know that a Google search pulls up places that I've never heard about in our area. You might try that!

Any decent hardware store will have them as well. It is really just a male pipe thread on one end (3/4" ?) and the barb on the other. Check around though, brass is getting expensive and you don't need the sticker shock...

B