Big block VG30

TerranoNZ

After seeing a few members talking about building motors and using a VG33 block, I thought I'd start a thread on it. Lets see if we can help each other :aok:

Not too long ago I bought this VG33 and started stripping it.

VG33.jpg

I noticed that the water pump has a longer snout...No biggie. Stuck the VG30 water pump on...doesn't fit. Oil pump is different, and the crank has a fatter snout than the VG30.

Because I need to run all the VG30 pulley's What I hope to do is use the VG30 crank. Also if you plan on using a VG30 oil pump you will need to use the VG30 oil pickup. I'm checking at the moment if there is a difference in oil gallery's between engines, as the VG33 doesn't have (what looks like to me) a relief valve like this pic of a VG30. Found out that this part is part # 15241-40F00 Valve Assy-Regu" and will fit :aok: Thanks to VG powered forum.

Oilblock.jpg

I plan on using the #2 offroad cams from Nismo USA, TBC on pistons and valves, get the bottom end balanced, 60mm TB with matched MAF from a 2L turbo Skyline and some other bits.

Link's I've found so far:

Cheap conrods (Though I need to replace the bushes for smaller ones)

http://www.raceeng.com/p-8999-h-beam-rodnissan-vg30-set.aspx

I did see a site that said "We sonar tested a VG30 block and it's thick enough for the VG33 pistons", then I found this :shrug:

http://www.automotivehelper.com/topic81371.htm

What I think are cheap VG33 Pistons, rings and clip set $173.28US. Great guy to deal with.

http://www.store.partsdinosaur.com/page203.html

5523Pathfinder found this one :beer:

http://www.allnissans.com/showthread.php?t=3674

Cam specs

http://www.redz31.com/pages/caminfo.html

More info to come, but at the moment My heads and block are at the engine builders, Pistons, oil pump and conrods have arrived thanks to Redpath88 and I'm broke :lol:

Let the fun begin :crazy:

Edited by TerranoNZ

Stupid question, why do you "need" to run the VG30's pulleys? The only thing you can't get/make conversion pulleys for is the AC compressor.

I would like to bet good money that the VG33 pulley's have different alignment to the VG30 ones. So that would mean changing P/S and alt mounting I'm guessing.

The biggest reason is the lack of VG33's in these parts. So I'm taking the easiest way for me :aok:

As for "stupid question" don't know if you've heard this saying "Simple people have simple solutions"

Basically meaning someone that doesn't know much can come up with a great idea :aok: I know I have :D

Forgot to post some pics of the tear down....Found some nasty surprises

Took the water pump off :ill: Sludge.

waterpumpoff.jpg

The left bank of pistons had this wear on them..Engine builder said is was most probably fuel wash. However new pistons are here (Thanks to a top bloke) :jig:

wornpiston.jpg

Edited by TerranoNZ

ooh that doesn't look so good. Are the cylinder walls scored any? On the case with the water pump, I thought the VG30 water pump would fit on it unless there was a change between early model VG30Es.

I happend to have a VG30 (4WD) water pump lying around, sat it on....No, the VG33 oil pump sits up higher.

Bore's are a little scored, but will hone out :aok:

So the VG30 pump doesn't fit on it?

Here's a pic of the 2 water pumps. The one at the bottom is the VG33 one. Both oil pumps mate up to the water pumps, so the extra bit on the VG30 water pump gets in the road.

Waterpumps.jpg

Cheers Aaron :beer:

Laxman: IIRC a VG34 is a VG33 that has been bored out, either to .060 over size or bigger different pistons (I can't remember)

No problem bud :aok:

• 1 month later...

Little update :D

Pistons and oil pump turned up from USA THANKS TO REDPATH88 :beer:

VG33piston.jpg

Then I sent them and my valves to get TBC :aok:

I just got them back today :jig:

TBC.jpg

TBCvalves.jpg

Edited by TerranoNZ

Thermal Barrier Coating...it looks like this is a cermaic coating, but I can't find how much it helps heat transfer, only how much to have it done....sheesh $230 US to have 6 pistings done and $14 each valve.

I would say from the pricing that this must do some serious heat shed!!

Wow that's abit steep :D

I got mine done for $168NZ (Set of pistons) and $144NZ (For all valves) Normally you guys get stuff cheaper :shrug:

Probably no part of an engine undergoes greater thermal shock than pistons and valves. Yet this has no effect on the bonding properties of HPC’s TBC which has the same coefficient of expansion as aluminium. Particles are bonded with an inorganic binder which is unaffected by petroleum products. With a bond strength of 10,000 psi, this coating’s non-porous ceramic matrix improves flame travel and combustion efficiency as well as reduces oil temperature and prevents carbon buildup. HPC’s TBC process also prevents excessive heat from reaching the piston rings reducing radial tension loss due to the ring overheating. TBC applied to the combustion face of the valve prevents overheating of the exhaust valve and heat transfer from the intake valve to incoming cool air and fuel, thus providing a denser air/fuel charge. The process works equally well on both two-cycle and four-cycle pistons, is applicable to new and used parts and is repeatable.

• 4 months later...
Any updates?

That's just spooky :blink:

My conrods just arrived today from Scott :beer:

Now I'll drop them and my pistons off to the engine builders to get balanced...I think I'm getting a bit carried away with this build :D

I want it to last though :aok:

DSC01485.jpg