Winch bumper build up

I started on my Pathy winch bumper. To match the new rear bumper.

Started with some 2x5s

cut_big_3.jpg

level and tacked

tacked_level.jpg

Mock up

mocked_test_fit.jpg

Clearance the inside

inside_hole.jpg

angled sides

side2_angled.jpg

OEM turn signals holes

turn_signals.jpg

Not done yet....

That's lookin sweet as dude.

I want to modify my one now, I have decided it sits a little low, so I will be watching ypur build with interest.

Can you post up a couple of pics of your rear bumper please? Or a link to them.

Funny how much stress the box is under :lol: My brother noticed that when he cut mine to fit the # plate.

Looking good man :aok:

That was scary when I was cutting it went "BANG". You can see how the flat was curving as I cut.

That's lookin sweet as dude.

I want to modify my one now, I have decided it sits a little low, so I will be watching ypur build with interest.

Can you post up a couple of pics of your rear bumper please? Or a link to them.

Here is the rear build up.

http://nissannut.com/projects/spare_tire_bumper_92

corners_done.JPG

Thanks NissanNut.

Have you thought how you are going to mount the front bar work yet? This is where I am most interested.

When I was thinking of re-doing my one. I thought of coming off the chassis rails as per usual with an extra brace going back in to where the bumper irons were connected on to as well.

What size winch are you planning on putting in there?

Thanks NissanNut.

Have you thought how you are going to mount the front bar work yet? This is where I am most interested.

When I was thinking of re-doing my one. I thought of coming off the chassis rails as per usual with an extra brace going back in to where the bumper irons were connected on to as well.

What size winch are you planning on putting in there?

Similar to the D21 version. :clickdalink:http://nissannut.com/projects/D21_winch_bumper

Except the approach angle will be WAY better. Same as stock.

There will be a hidden hitch connecting the side brackets together. The D21 uses the hitch for a license plate brakcet, but its part of the spring hanger. Also OEM frame and lower 4 frame bolts will be used, 8 total.

This will bumper will hold the following:

2 6" lights,

licens plate

8k+ winch - warn or milemarker

2 driving lights

2" hitch

2 d Ring mounts

winch solenoid - dont like big box exposed

winch remote plug - because box is hidden

2 turn signals.

Still shopping for a winch. Happy with the MM8k. I have used 10 times with no issues. I keep hearing the Warn is faster, etc. So I want to try something else. Any series wound winch basically.

Similar to the D21 version. :clickdalink:http://nissannut.com/projects/D21_winch_bumper

Except the approach angle will be WAY better. Same as stock.

There will be a hidden hitch connecting the side brackets together. The D21 uses the hitch for a license plate brakcet, but its part of the spring hanger. Also OEM frame and lower 4 frame bolts will be used, 8 total.

A question I have is how hard is it to re-attach the stock bumper irons, ie. the two bolts while trying to align the bottom brackets etc all at the same time?

I thought of having it in 2 parts, the bottom brackets and winch tray and bumper with bumper irons.

Attach the two parts then bolt them both to each other.

With the D21 one, did you notice any weakness with sideways movement as I didn't see any side bracing there? ie. between the two bottom carriers.

Lotsa questions sorry, im as keen as mustard to start one of these for myself now.

Lastly, how did you attach your rear bumper to the chassis frame?

A question I have is how hard is it to re-attach the stock bumper irons, ie. the two bolts while trying to align the bottom brackets etc all at the same time?

I thought of having it in 2 parts, the bottom brackets and winch tray and bumper with bumper irons.

Attach the two parts then bolt them both to each other.

With the D21 one, did you notice any weakness with sideways movement as I didn't see any side bracing there? ie. between the two bottom carriers.

Lotsa questions sorry, im as keen as mustard to start one of these for myself now.

Lastly, how did you attach your rear bumper to the chassis frame?

This was a good sideways test of the bumper.

bach_run00014.jpg

The d21 bumper has held up great with winching. The winch is basically right between the stock brackets. No movement noticed.

bach_run00017.jpg

bach_run00033.jpg

wd21 rear bumper is 1.5 x 3 .180 (3/16) tube. Fit in the frame rails perfectly. My buddys had a 3" bl so I used flat stock.

I can take off the winch bumper and reinstall my self quite easily. Its easier than the calmini style or shrockworks. Those things are HEAVY! They have zero upper mounting. I have relocated a few of those after BLs.

http://nissannut.com/projects/Bumper_lift

Been sanding and grinding, nothing exciting about those pix. cut a hole for the hawse fairlead. I dont like this HEAVY steel fairlead. So I ordered an aluminum one. Going synthetic line on the winch that goes in here.

Been working on the brackets allot. basically 2 old bumpers and trailer hitchs I got for free. I chopped them up and will use for frame mount.

Il take some more pictures of brackets when I finalize the setup.

hawse_mocked.JPG

• Like 1

Its looking sweet NissanNut.

Did you jot down any measurements of it?

Love to see some detailed pictures of the bottom mounting brackets and of the winch mounted too.

I will add measurements to website soon.....

Got the bumper tacked on. And some more mounting details worked out.

added some tube to stock brackets.

extension_mocked.jpg

Mocked the height.

bumper_tacked.jpg

Made the lower mounts.

lower_bracket_tabs.jpg

Added some 4" flat stock to connect brackets and bumper. acts as a skid plate for front crossmember.

skd_plate_tacked.jpg

Brackets to conect frame to bumper.

front_brackets_template.jpg

Blah, blah.... its on!

front_corner_done.jpg

front_done.jpg

Long way to go still.

Its lookin sweet as, but there are just 2 bits that have me a little bit confused. :unsure:

Made the lower mounts.

lower_bracket_tabs.jpg

Added some 4" flat stock to connect brackets and bumper. acts as a skid plate for front crossmember.

skd_plate_tacked.jpg

Brackets to conect frame to bumper.

front_brackets_template.jpg

How do these tie in together?

I don't quite see how the first and last pictures tie in together. Sorry if I seem to be a bit thick, im sure its all clear as mud. :wackinit:

The first picture shows the bottom most portion of the bumper, where it mounts to the frame. The lower picture shows the brackets that mate the lower mounts to the bumper itself. If you look in the bottom picture, you can see one on the left side, almost coming straight at you in the pic.

The bumper uses the stock OEM mounts, the lower mounts are just to reinforce the uppers. 8 bolts total. NOT like the w/d22 style with 4 bolts down real low.

Stock brackets only.

bumper-floating_oem_only.jpg

lower brace.

front_brackets_done.jpg

lower brace triangle

front_brackets_triangles_tacked.jpg

You can see the upper mounts partially in this pic.front_brackets_tacked.jpg

More to come!