Recharging The Ac

statikuz

alrighty yes i'm sure this has been asked before and no i couldn't find it. =) my AC is pretty darn weak, even after running for awhile its basically just blowing air around... does it need to be recharged or whatever it is they do? that's what people are tellin me and it seems legit to me =) how much does this sort of thing usually run $$$ wise? thanks =D

you can g oto Wal Mart or your local auto zone or parts store whatever u got and get a recharging kit and do it yopurself, that 93 has the new R14 coolant so u can buy it over the counter, unlike the old freon thay pulled of the shelves. I did it and its a easy job

I think the kit was like $25 at wal mart

Edited by headpeace

alrighty so i think i have more serious problems... went to kragen and got one of those can rechargy things with the little gauges on it and whatnot, ran me about $30. toddled on home and hooked the thing up per the instructions on the can, and the gauge read something like 120 PSI... which was in the red, and said "CONSULT A PROFESSIONAL IMMEDIATELY! YOUR SYSTEM HAS A PROBLEM!"

so i'm not entire sure if i just hooked it up to the wrong port or not... here's a picture of the one i used.

post-9-1120336033.jpg

Yep, You hooked it up right... The low(blue cap) side is smaller than the high pressure side, so you can't get it wrong unless you try real hard. Kinda like how you can't put a diesel nossle into the gas tank on a car. :takebow:

Probably have a leak somewhere, which is not allowing you to pressurize it properly. That's my guess. That's also probably why your AC wasn't as cold as it used to be, because the freon was leaking out. Mine did that too, and when I had the AC system pressure tested, a nut on the condensor blew up.....that's where my leak was.

Some shops can put a dye in the AC lines to see where the leak is, so a shop may be your best option.

Good luck.

prolly better to take it to the shop and have them pressure test is, if the are a good shop they will have all the guages and equipment to do it. the compressors inherently leak very little freon, and it might need new O-rings. i suggest you look at the lines for freon oil accumulating anywhere on the AC system.

Out of the three cars I have owned only one had AC that worked, and the Pathfinder isn't it. Previous owner told me that when the AC did work it wasn't very good. :shrug:

I just keep the windows down and comb my hair when I get where I'm going.

take it to the shop and let them put dye in it. I did that with mine and i found the leak in the evaporator. New evaporator cost me about $75.00 US. cool and sweet. Now if i could only get the fan to blow a little bit harder * *

!

{ }

r134 doesn't cool as well as freon. Also, if you have a leak, get it fixed then have a pro recharge it for you. make sure they purge the air out of the system before filling it otherwise your AC will work halfassed and not get very cold.

What about the R50's? Ran my AC over my road trip over the 4th a couple of times and yes it was cold but not really that cold. Not impressed with it at all. How much would it run to have someone professionally do it on my r50? or how different/difficult to do it myself?

DJ - Mine is the same way, real weak A/C, cold yes, but not all that impressive. I dont know if something is wrong or not. I got one of the recharge kits and the pressue was in the right range sooo I dunno. A/C sucks.

DJ - Mine is the same way, real weak A/C, cold yes, but not all that impressive. I dont know if something is wrong or not. I got one of the recharge kits and the pressue was in the right range sooo I dunno. A/C sucks.

Yeah...it defintely is cool/cold but not ice cold like I remember it was when I first bought her 2 1/2 years ago.

But then again, I HARDLY ever use it. I think I've only used it on a handful of occassions since ownership. Having a black car doesn't help the cause...I usually just roll all the windows down anyways.

The best $178 I ever invested in my Pathy was ahving the AC recharged last summer.... it's supposed to be 106 degrees on Wed (102 on Tues & Thurs!) so I am suuuuuuuure glad my AC is pumped and ready to go! I had the system pressure tested (free at the time with "fill up"..I have th "old" freon crap) when I filler it up..ahhhhhhhhhhh..now...if we could get some ac in the house..THAT would be glorious! *wipes sweat off her brow*