~~> Help please! 2003 Pathfinder SE won't start...what should I have checked first?

RobynInOK

It doesn't seem to be the battery or the alternator (but who knows?) When I try to start it the dash lights up, but no noise & no start? Any help is appreciated...this is my only vehicle

Thanks but it didn't work....anybody have an idea (approx) how much I'll have to spend to get this fixed...if it is the fuse link? Or if it's any other common troubles?

Thanks for your help, I really do appreciate it!

Fuses are easily checked by pulling them out and inspecting the small metal wire to burns or breaks. If there are, it means there was a short circuit and the fuse popped to prevent damage. Be sure to pull one at a time and not get them mixed up.

• Like 2

Thank you both for your help!! At least I know what it's NOT :) It really does make a difference...I appreciate it.

I'm having it towed to the mechanic >>YIKES<<

AAAAARRRRGGGHH! The shop just called & told me it started right up 5 or 6 times in a row after they took it off the tow truck....soooo Mr. Diagnostic Guy is gonna' check it out.... I hope it's nothing B I G!

If you've got a failing starter on it's last leg, you could turn the key ten times and nothing happens except you might hear a small 'click' noise, and then it would start up on the eleventh time like nothing ever happened. Bad starters begin failing sporadically until they quit for good.

• Like 2

Could be bad connections/faulty wiring in several places that might create an intermittent start condition as well. Seeing as you didn't know how to check a fuse, there isn't a lot more diagnostic stuff you could easily do. I don't see how you had any other choice than to have a professional take a look at it. He should be able to verify a lot of the basics quickly, and isolate a possible cause.

At least you learned something out of it, and hopefully it won't re-occur. :aok:

B

• Like 2

That's true! The shop said they couldn't find anything....no "driveability" issues......they checked battery, starter & alternator....so I have it back...guess if they don't find it they can't fix it.

Here's to hoping it doesn't happen again anytime soon!!

Edited by RobynInOK

Ya know what? I have seen many times a no start condition can by caused by the ignition switch. Basicly as it wears, the connection is lost when turning the key to start. You know its bady by turning that key a touch more and it starts. Next time it doesnt start, try turning it just a bit further.

• Like 1

You can also check the battery cables if it does it again. Sometimes they get loose or corroded (bluish white crusty stuff) around the terminal and won't conduct well enough to run the starter. The dash lights may still work but will go out when you turn the key to start.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

As a non-mechanic, I recently paid for a tow truck to come out and start my 99.5 Pathy. He hooked it up to the cables and nothing. He then went and jammed the "gearstick" forward that changes gears. He said that when it is in Park and is an older Pathfinder it often does not override the 'neutral safety switch.' He suggested I use the parking gear when before I put it into Park and to know just to jam your gearstick forward if you don't get a start.

A $65 lesson.

• Like 1

Guess what...it happened again today.....so far still no start.....last time it just started working out of the blue & kept working until now. So now i'm trying to figure out what next...AGAIN?!?

I LO-O-O-OVE this vehicle & I KNOW once this issue is fixed I'll be LOVIN' it even more!!

I am with 5523. Could be ignition switch. Did you play with the key while it was not starting? A lot of times when the switch is failing you can find one little spot that you will get contact..... Intermittent electrical problems are the worst, very hard to find unless it is one of those times it is not working and you have a bit of knowledge on vehicle electrical systems. If I were just throwing parts at it and the "pros" have already looked at the starter/battery, etc. I would replace the ignition switch. Got anyone with basic knowledge and tools? Not that hard to replace. Remember to PULL THE FUSE FOR THE AIRBAG before screwing around with the steering column unless you want to wake up a few minutes later covered in dust wondering what happened!

There are Factory Service Manuals in PDF format here in the forums. Not sure about your 2003 but check it out, it could give you invaluable information.

Edited by SkiBumBrian