Headlight confusion

thorpe991

So when I turn my head lights on only my pass low beam comes on I switch it to hibeam and only the drivers comes on so lows passenger is on drivers off and when hi passenger off drivers on

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Could be the switch on the column. Not likely that each bulb failed one on low one on high. Can you check the low and high that do not work using a test light to see if there is power going to the bulb?

Well after checking all the grounds I found that the one going from the battery to the body was loose I tightened it and it didn't fix anything so I pulled the bulbs and it was that the bulbs where blown one hi and one lo I guessing the loose ground caused them to blow

Well after checking all the grounds I found that the one going from the battery to the body was loose I tightened it and it didn't fix anything so I pulled the bulbs and it was that the bulbs where blown one hi and one lo I guessing the loose ground caused them to blow

Or age.... They don't last forever.

^+1, you probably had a dead high beam for a while before the low beam died. A bad ground could make a bulb not light up, or make it flicker, but I don't see how it would blow filaments.

Headlight filaments are finicky and very fragile. a disturbance in the electrical could cause one to blow. And generally when one headlight goes out it causes such a rush of "extra" current and can over power the other bulb and it generally goes out shortly after. But a low beam going out will not cause a high beam filament to go out and visa versa since that filament in the other bulb is not being powered.

The only way I can see a dead bulb significantly raising the voltage to the other is if there's a bad ground/overloaded wire/weak battery that can't pass enough current to keep both lights at full voltage. :shrug: With proper wiring I don't imagine the remaining bulb would see much difference.

I suspect that one goes out shortly after the other because headlight bulbs are sold in pairs and used in pairs... stands to reason they'd last about the same amount of time.

I suspect that one goes out shortly after the other because headlight bulbs are sold in pairs and used in pairs... stands to reason they'd last about the same amount of time.

You'd like to think that, but not all bulbs are created equal. Kind of small scale example, BUT, my Subaru's accessory lighting is provided by these tiny 12v bulbs you have to visit a RadioShack for. They're 60mA and on the package is shows their lifespan being ~10,000 hours. I had a couple burn out in only a few months, instead of lasting a bit over a year. So you got to wonder with how quickly those burnt out, how long did the ones that went on forever go to make the AVERAGE 10,000 hours?

Another example: I pretty much run the same bulb all the time in my Subaru. The Philips NightGuide. Quality bulb, highly recommend! I've had some last me a couple months, and some last me almost a year. I drive around with my lights on 100% of the time as they come on with the ignition, and I have really stiff suspension which is bad on the delicate filaments.

well i cheak my headlights (lows) every time i drive as the popo seam to be attracted to me so i try and stay on top of the stuff that attracts them more and when i relized they went out i drove from my house to the local walmart (about 12miles) and when i left my house they were good i come out from walmart the low beam is out so mabey the hi was already out and with the messed up ground it made a power surge on my lows when i turned them on when i came out side

oh just to let you guys know i went with the zxe headlights and i dont see why people hate on them they dont but out that blinding blue light like the hid retro fits and they put out a nice crisp white light that i think is alot easier to see with than stock halogens now i dont think they were worth the $60 bucks i paid for them but they are definitely a improvement over the regular halogens

• 4 months later...

Issue Now today om my 91 Pathfinder. High beams never worked since i bought it 3 months ago, Now the driver side dont work at all, I tested the bulb, it's good, I check for power at the bulb connection, There's power there, What's next, look for a ground issue?