RE4R01A transmission rebuild

Willfly4money

Well my third gear has been slipping for the last couple of months, about a week ago, third finally went completely out! A buddy and I went to the local you pull it in order to grab one out of a 95 4x4 but it was full of water.....

So I pulled my tranny in my backyard which took quite a few hours since I was by myself!! And just like clockwork, the high clutch was burnt to a crisp:) everything else seems to be in good order. Albeit with 178000 on it the rest of the clutches are right at the wear limit.

I'll be rebuilding this unit with an ATP NM-20 kit, it should be in tomorrow. By the way, the best price I got on this rebuild kit is 150! Rockauto lists it for 200.

photo.jpg

Edited by Willfly4money
  • Like 1

Albeit with 178000 on it the rest of the clutches are right at the wear limit.

Those do look wiped out! How many miles were on it when they crapped out?

Good luck with the rebuild.

No more sleep reading.

Valve body all torqued together, you really have to take lots of pictures and/or mark each bolt location and size, the manual helps but it still takes some "deductive reasoning" to get these in the right hole!

E9A94C8C-7105-4E4F-82D7-2E5927AA12F5-5449-0000024E63705E04.jpg

• Like 1

Damn Sir, you are brave (or experienced). I only know of a few members who have attempted repairing their own A/T. I see some quality calipers in a picture, so as a machinist I'm guessing you know what you are doing. Thanks much for the pictures and break down! Please keep them coming...

As for the editing, we had to change permission parameters to temporary to resolve abuse. I don't see any broken links but if you want something changed or added, PM me with the info and links, and I'll make it happen.

FYI, I do have a rebuild manual for the RE4R01A if you need any info, but I suspect you have the information.

Also, try clearing your browser history and stored info to see what is actually being displayed.

B

Bravo! Love threads like this. I've been wanting to rebuild a manual, waiting for half price day at Pick n Pull. I know its easier and the guy at beergarage.com did it, but I think it'd be a fun project.

Thanks for all the praises everyone, I wish that I had taken more pictures along the way. The tranny is back in the truck now and has 200 miles on it and she is doing pretty good. Precise1, I don't know what happened but I can now see all the pictures. I'll continue posting the pics that I have.

Here she is going back together. One of the tricky parts is getting all the needle bearings in their rightful place, I forgot one during the assembly and had to take half of it apart.

8607ACE4-077C-4368-A55A-A3664204700F-7182-000002DE0B8D09A7.jpg

I can say that in hindsight, rebuilding the tranny on the table was fun BUT taking it out and putting it back in was not fun in the slightest. I just hope this thing lasts a while!