Winter trail run! Feb 19th! Tahuya!

5523Pathfinder

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have a few questions.

1. is it going to be a day trip or a get up there stay the night and head out early the next day. (i know this is a while away yet...)

Two more that i couldnt find are:

1:is there a requirement for a pass like at evans? or is there a day use fee area?

2: cant seem to find exactly where Tahuya is...

Again, i know this is still a while away, just asking ahead of time. :D

tahuya is beteween me and mr510.

I think its in a little town called belfair just over the bridge from tacoma and then west a little. that should get you close on google maps.

I was under the impression that it would be a day run but if not-so-local peeps are comin things could change.

Fairly certain It will be a day thing only, as I don't think they allow any night wheeling, though I think I saw a campground there last time. I'll be heading back sat night.

No passes needed

Find Belfair WA on the map, its about 15-20 min from there. East to North East

Tahuya

This is where Tahuya is. There is no night wheeling. and I think there is a small amount of camping across the street. This would be a day thing, camping overnight to head home in the morning is optional and at the individuals discretion.

Edited by silverton

Yeah, probably just a one day deal. Tahuya is a pretty easy run and we will get through everything in one day. Time can be spent playing in certian areas, but the challenges are far less than what was at Evans. Though, there will we water(should be anyway).

Kyle, you can meet up with me on your way up. I did this with Silverpath(Kyle) and it worked out just fine. I dont mind meeting again, being that you will be going right passed my place. We can work out details as the day get closer.

Might as well knock out a time. How does 9am sound? Meet at the Safeway at 9, then drive up to the staging area? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Speak now if you have any other questions or concerns. Luckily, this is still a few months off...

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

time sounds good. now if i can actually go when the time comes is another story...

so no money is required AT ALL to wheel at tahuya?

Edited by Kyle94

NOpe, been there twice myself and I have never needed a pass, nor did I see anything stating I need a pass. You will still want to bring some so we can rob you. just kidding. You might want to top off on fuel or food before we start.

Correct on all counts. No pass required or anything, no night wheeling, free primitive camping in the big staging area and I think a small fee at the 'Horse Camp' campground? It'd be a cold, damp, windy place to camp the time of year we'll be there. Not what I'd call fun in any way, even if sleeping in your Pathy! Expect overnight temps in the low-'20s, 10mph wind that does not stop, and driving rain and you'd be well prepared. Bears in camp are the norm so I rule out tents completely for safety reasons.

Tahuya ORV is about four miles as the crow flies almost directly North of my place in Belfair. It used to be a ten minute drive at the speed limit but now it's about fifteen minutes as Elfendahl Pass Road washed out between North Shore Road and Belfair-Tahuya Road a few years ago and hasn't been repaired. It saw so little traffic I don't think they should even spend the money to fix it, though it was the most epic-twisty road in North Mason County... and starts half a mile from my house. :)

The best pizza place in town didn't survive the economy :( but there is other good food in Belfair. If some people feel like hanging out for dinner afterwords I'd be down for that. When this run gets close I'll post two better routes to get there than Google or Mapquest seem to know about. Both cut 15-20 minutes off the drive from the Narrows Bridge. The shorter-mileage route is twisty-fun goodness with great scenery and the other is mostly highway but bypasses the town of Gorst. Also worthy of note is that it's quicker and cheaper to drive around and take the Narrows Bridge than to take any of the ferry routes, though if you don't ride a ferry often it can be worth the time/money just for the experience. The Seattle - Bremerton ferry is the longest ride (1 hour) and the most scenic. Coming into downtown Seattle at night is pretty cool if you've got your wife/GF along. :sly:

Last time we were there, we ate at some bar that was on the toher side of the road from Safeway. Some bar, but the food was ok, I dont remember the name. Those coming from the south can follow me up through Shelton, up 3, all the way to Belfair. Less than 1 hour from my house. I am excited to go when its wet. I have only been there when its dry. I have heard its quite a different experience! I wont be camping, for the record!

You probably went to Bobaloo's. It's just up the hill and across the street from Safeway but I think it's a bar or tavern so a few people would be left out. Jimmy D's is Ok, and the Mexican place in the Safeway strip mall is decent but I think Fiesta Mexican Restaurant in the Log Plaza is the best food in town. JR's Hideaway is supposed to have good food but it's a biker joint with a rough crowd from what I've seen.

If I were traveling a long way for this run and wanted/needed to camp I think I'd plan to do so either East or South of Puget Sound. The weather in Belfair can be downright nasty and we get more than double the annual rainfall Seattle does.

• 4 weeks later...

looks like i'm out of any wheeling trip you guys put together. i hate being the only one that has to shell out hundreds of dollars just to have fun for a few hours, it sucks. with the rate my job is going, i'm going to end up losing the pathy to repo anyway.

looks like i'm out of any wheeling trip you guys put together. i hate being the only one that has to shell out hundreds of dollars just to have fun for a few hours, it sucks. with the rate my job is going, i'm going to end up losing the pathy to repo anyway.

:ohmy: OH NO! :omg:

This is just a low key run anyway. I would rather you save your money, fix your rig, take care of you and yours, and worry about making the MrJim3 run.