Custom Intake!

DSC02457.jpg

Cost me about $50 . $25 for filter from Canadian Tire. and $25 for the toilet connector, some sleeve with hose clamps and some abs pipe. Works great. feel the power increase right away.

Edited by 1999R50

Exactly. Its accually the piece that really made the whole thing work. The intake goes from 3" at the mass air flow sensor down to 2 3/4" and that adapter worked perfect.

nice, is that one of those toilet flange adapters?

It stays in place quite nice. I have been checking it daily because I am paranoid that it will fall off, but it hasn't budged.

Awesome! Does the intake move at all or is it pretty much stationary?

Sure, I will take it apart and take some photos.

I have been running it for 2 weeks now with no problem.

I just drilled a 7/8 hole with a step drill for the MAF and then transferred the mounting holes and used some self small wood screws. The MAF uses a calculation based on the internal diameter of the pipe it is in which was something like 2 3/4. So the pipe I used was 3" ABS so therefore, it works fine, no problem.

this is awesome

Is there any way you might be able to put some more photos up and a little description on how you made it. I would like to try and make one, but the MAS would be my hesitation.

Yes I should paint it black. It would make it look less like the plumbing section of Home Hardware.

• 3 weeks later...

So it doesn't run too rich? Thats a good thing if it doesn't.

I don't think its running rich. It seems to run fine. Can't really give a fuel efficiency comparison with all the snow we have been having. 4WD in combination with cold seems to suck a lot of gas.

It stays in place quite nice. I have been checking it daily because I am paranoid that it will fall off, but it hasn't budged.

Cool. Paint that sucker black and it'll look practically OEM. :aok:

I don't think its running rich. It seems to run fine. Can't really give a fuel efficiency comparison with all the snow we have been having. 4WD in combination with cold seems to suck a lot of gas.

4WD alone is bad enough even in summer weather. But I'm certain us R50 owners didn't buy our rigs because they sip fuel. :lol:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey! Good to see another factory air box ditched. Not that they are so bad but, you know it makes me smile.

PICT0150.jpg

PICT0151.jpg

You went straight from the throttle body eh? Maybe I will moddify mine to do that aswell. Looks good!

You went straight from the throttle body eh? Maybe I will moddify mine to do that aswell. Looks good!

Thank you!

Yep, straight shot. I kept the factory MAF housing and used an adapter that bolted to the housing one one side and had a 4 inch flange for clamping the filter to on the other. The way your MAF sensor mounts to your piece of black pipe? Dose it pose an air leak? Did you seal it with some silicone? Or dose it just fit tight enough?

• 2 months later...

Thank you!

Yep, straight shot. I kept the factory MAF housing and used an adapter that bolted to the housing one one side and had a 4 inch flange for clamping the filter to on the other. The way your MAF sensor mounts to your piece of black pipe? Dose it pose an air leak? Did you seal it with some silicone? Or dose it just fit tight enough?

It probably leaks. But my idle is fine so I don't think it is affecting it. But I will silicone it like you recommended. I wonder if it will help anything?

It probably leaks. But my idle is fine so I don't think it is affecting it. But I will silicone it like you recommended. I wonder if it will help anything?

It would not hurt to do so I don't think, if your wheeling spots get dusty like mine, I would be concerned about dust getting in that way. But on the other hand, if you silicone it, every time you need it off you will have to rip the MAF off, then scrape off the old sealant before installing with new silicone.

:scratchhead:

• 2 years later...

DSC02457.jpg

Cost me about $50 . $25 for filter from Canadian Tire. and $25 for the toilet connector, some sleeve with hose clamps and some abs pipe. Works great. feel the power increase right away.

im going to do something similar but even more simpler, there are the 4 bolts that hold the maf sensor/tube to the stock box im going to just get a flange to replace the stock box and hook the cone filter to that then i dont have to worry about the other i might have to replace the bolts but oh well