A/c Compressor Belt

richard

ban adamzan for duplicate posts.

Really you only NEED a belt on your alty and your water pump. LOL

Power steering and AC are just nice things we like to have but they will not be harmed by not having belts

I've never had a compressor go out on any car or truck I've owned nor have I ever had to charge the system. I'm a firm believer that the main reason is because I frequently use the compressor year round. Of course in the summer for A/C but also in the winter to help the defrost do a better job. Just think it keeps all the seals and bearings lubricated and stuff.

Like MY1PATH said, you only NEED the alt and w/p turning with the crank. It's just nice to HAVE the a/c and p/s. They are more like creture comforts than necessitys depending on the person. Proably not the best over a long period of time if you plan to put a belt back on and use it again. The old leave it sit-goes to sh err...crap theory comes to play. Them bearings ain't moved in a while, they may not want to when woken back up.

ban adamzan for duplicate posts.

Really you only NEED a belt on your alty and your water pump. LOL

Power steering and AC are just nice things we like to have but they will not be harmed by not having belts

Oh, we need that power steering belt, mine snapped on my 88 and even strong arming the wheel I could barely turn it.

Oh, we need that power steering belt, mine snapped on my 88 and even strong arming the wheel I could barely turn it.

I could turn it without power steering with the 235s but no way in hell with the 31s.

I ran the first winter without an ac belt on my 95 because it snapped and wrapped itself around the fan on the way to a midterm lol

Thanks all. Was the difference between walking and driving to the parts store.

LOL, you could have told us it was a one time 3 mile trip type thing, here we go trying to save your AC for next summer... :D

B

LOL, you could have told us it was a one time 3 mile trip type thing, here we go trying to save your AC for next summer... :D

B

Exactly... no, don't do the 3 mile up hill both ways in the snow trip. :) Mine went kaput winter before last, and I waited probably a good 2+ months to replace it. No biggie, but as has been said above, if you plan on keeping AC working good, its best to replace that belt and run it every once in a while to get things moving. Its not like we're worrying about power loss in a drag car.

I've driven my 89 w/o the stering belt. the trick is to have the vehicle moving when you turn it and plot out the turns a little differant and the was with 31's. I belive there is a manual somewhere that says that if you don't use ac you should let it run un-interupted for at least 10 min once a month.