Out of gas... Any Advice?

Extreme90path

If you have spark you should check to see if it's a strong spark (blue) or a weak spark (orange) I had my coil go out and it was still getting a weak spark to the plugs, when I changed the coil it fired right up. I had no reason for my coil to go out like it did. I guess it's just one of those things that stop working at the wrong time.

The fuel pump is the likely culprit on this one. Running the tank dry will overheat the pump and often kill it. It's fairly easy to check for pressure by pulling the fuel filter output hose, hooking up a longer hose and sticking it into a gas can, then turn the key on. If it spews gas pretty forcefully into the can, then maybe that's not it. If it trickles or comes out slowly, I bet the pump took too much heat.

ok, I pulled the pump today, and it is clean.... really clean. No dirt, nothin. Put sence I am here I am doing the pump anyways. I went out the B&K salvage yard today where my old pathy is at and pulled it's pump. (I replaced that one too) so I am hopeing it fixes the problem... :).... but I'll keep ya posted.

Maybe I missed it and it has already been said, but is there anyway to prime the injectors... do the injectors nissan used need to be primed?

Seems like it was "recommened" when I changed mine (different intake than yours Extreme) but I just put them in and it fired right up.

It ain't the pump. He replaced the pump and the thing still won't start. He didn't tell me if it was still doing the same thing or what, but I'm assuming it is.

I'm about half wondering if it is spark. Then again, the thing fires great on ether but won't fire with gas.

He said replacing the pump helped a lot though. Where he had plenty of pressure before, now he has LOTS of pressure. Enough to squirt gas across my shop at least. :nono:

oK... I am stumpt. I now have replaced the Pump, plugs and coils. The pump... like I said was really clean, and the new one increased the pressure. But it still isnt firing. The spark is blue... so that is good too. It blue before I did the coil, so I changed it for giggles though to see if there was a change. I fallowed the 90 wd Nissan Shop manuals instructions for Diagnosis. I also have checked fuses, and the EGR valve. Both good. It does run on ether though like trent said. SO I dunno. Oh and I also hooked up both the old pump and the new pump at the same time to see if that helped and still freakin nothing. I'm about the throw in the towel... any help would be appreciated... remember this all started w/ running out of gas damn it... so don't do it... haha....

Edited by Extreme90path

the thing fires great on ether but won't fire with gas.

OK I have found myself back at the injectors again... or the injection system in general.

(on the assumption that the tests were correct and the fuel pump is functioning properly)

Ok so the thing fired with ether but not with fuel. So... other than the flammable liquid, think about what else here is different? What about how it is being fed to the firing chambers... Ether, unless I am mistaken, is being sprayed into the air intake, while the gas is relying on the injection system to deliver it. But for some reason, that does not seem to be happening.

I don't know, maybe I am off track here, but this is the direction I keep heading :shrug:

IT"S RUNNING !!! :) :) ok... so here it is, after all of that. I ended up unplugging 1 injector. I repeat 1. haha.... but tried to start it, and instantlly started, then plugged that one back in, and it ran perfect. Like the day I got it. I don't get it. But it is running now, thankyou everyone for all the help!!!!!

It sounds like it was vapor locked. Too much air in the system from sucking air through the injectors when it ran out of gas. Removing the injector released the pressure in the combustion chambers and allowed it to start again. :shrug:

Edited by vengeful

When you ran out of gas the ECU could have switched to Safe Mode with De-Fuel Engine stuck in a loop.... Disconnecting #1 broke the loop and reset the ECU...

Just a thought....

Edited by vengeful

Geez Dan, Ben needs all the help he can get, don't edit those posts...unless of course it was cussing or something I guess...

So yeah, it did it again. I think we're going to actually need to fix it for real now, cuz the HB clutch ain't happy about pulling the d@mn thing all the time. So, any new ideas? I think he already tried the injector thing that made it work last time, but other than that, it's up in the air. Again.

:help:

And it seems to run, again. He got it to run about 3 seconds to the end of my alley, and it died again. Then it started again, so who knows. One of his fusible links was loose this time apparently. I'm starting to think this thing is cursed. Or Ben is, something. I'm not going to say it's fixed, cuz as soon as I do, he'll have to fix something else. So instead I'll just say that it wasn't in my shop when I left La Grande. Pretty safe there I hope, knock on wood