Noisy when switching to AWD

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and I joined since I am looking at buying a used (2000-2001) Pathfinder (Vancouver, BC).

I haven't had SUVs before. Yesterday I went to one dealer selling 2001 with 150 000 km. I took it for a quick ride and I noticed, when switching to AWD that it becomes noisy under the hood between driver and passanger seat. I felt vibrations holding the knob (that switches modes). Dealer's explanation was that it hasn't been driven in AWD mode.

So, should I be concerned with this?

Thanks,

Lee :confused:

Edited by lee_cha_nin

Welcome!

I have a 02 with the AllMode transfer case and it makes NO noise when switching into the AUTO mode (or the AWD mode as some call it). I bought it used and have had no issues so far and living in the BC interior, I use the AllMode a lot in winter.

Does your prospective Pathfinder have the AllMode transfer case? See the photo below for what to look for.

If it has the AllMode, I would get it checked out by a reputable Nissan dealer in Vancouver and get an opinion on what is wrong. It should not make any noise or sounds, at any speed, on any road conditions. It may be the driveshaft is bent or out of balance (simple fix) or the transfer case is wonky (expensive fix).

Of course, it is different if you are switching into 4 wheel drive.

116_1664_1.jpg

Also note the recommended service interval for the AllMode transfer case is 48,000 km, so I would wonder if at 150,000 it has had any service. Maybe a service of the transfer case would clear this up.

Thanks Trainman.

No, it doesn't have the knob like the one on the picture. It has a stick.

I guess yours is electoronic swich, this one is manual.

If it has the lever, it's not AWD. It's part-time 4WD, which means you shouldn't use it except on ice, snow, mud, dirt, sand-- basically any non-paved surface.

The vibration you feel could be an out-of-balance front driveshaft or if the truck is lifted, vibration caused by excessive CV shaft angles. Both conditions are not necessarily bad.

Thanks Trainman.

No, it doesn't have the knob like the one on the picture. It has a stick.

I guess yours is electoronic swich, this one is manual.

So ignore all my ramblings above.

Yours does not have AWD (do not allow the salesman fool you on this), it will have the following:

2 wheel drive (rears only)

4 wheel drive, high range, both front and rear getting the same amount of power

4 wheel drive, low range, both front and rear getting the same amount of power, for use in only the most extreme off-road conditions.

and maybe a neutral position as well but not sure.

So if it making noise/vibration when you pull the leaver to engage 4 wheel drive, if you are doing this on dry pavement, then this is fairly normal. 4 wheel drive should only be used on slippery surfaces, like snow, ice, gravel. The system will "bind up" on dry pavement as the front wheels need to turn at different speeds going around corners than the rear but are mechanically tied (locked) front to back.

Does the vibration happen when you are going straight? Or only when turning?

And the salesman is giving you a load of BS about the "never having been in 4 wheel drive" stuff before. How would he know unless it his truck and he can prove it.

FYI, the AllMode system, in the AUTO position, is an All Wheel Drive (AWD) version. Only available with an automatic transmission. It automatically transfers power between the rear and front axles as it detects slip and one end or another. It can go as far as a 50-50 split, and it always starts at the 50-50 when starting from a stopped position.

The AllMode also has locking 4 wheel drive in both the low and high range, just adds the AWD option.

If it has the lever, it's not AWD. It's part-time 4WD, which means you shouldn't use it except on ice, snow, mud, dirt, sand-- basically any non-paved surface.

The vibration you feel could be an out-of-balance front driveshaft or if the truck is lifted, vibration caused by excessive CV shaft angles. Both conditions are not necessarily bad.

What XPLORx4 said :clap:

With the manual transfer case, the issue you describe is much less serious than if you had the AllMode.

Just to be safe, get it checked out by a reputable mechanic.

Also, if it is a 2000, it will have the 3.3 liter motor. It will need a timing belt soon.

If it is 2001 or later, it will have the 3.5 motor liter , it has a timing chain so no replacement required. The motor is the big difference between the 99.5-00 and 01-04 Pathfinders.

Wait...is it just me or do those wheels not look like '01's? 

They look like previous, 99.5's-'00's. 

:shrug:  :shrug:  :wacko:

Same wheels as my 02:

116_1623_1.jpg

Looks like an XE, no Chilkoot stripes, black mirrors, no fog lights. BUT, very unusual to have a body coloured grill? (mine is chrome)

Edited by Trainman

The only thing I would be worried about is the significant drop off in servicing after 2003, based on the report, of course I am not sure that all service facilities report to CarFax.

Also, the km's seem a bit off in its later life.

But if it all checks out, looks good!

There is a 02 SE in Kamloops with 58,000 km for about $22,000, just to give you some perspective.

Interesting: all the '02 SE's I've sen here have these ones (mine)

Dsc01078.jpg

The '02 LE's have a 5-spoke variation...'03+ have all the same 5-spoke variants (mine were dropped)

Your right Train...looks like an XE. Maybe that's what accounts for the interesting wheels...can't say I've seen too many XE's around here off-hand (then again, those wheels are probably unique to your Chilkoot Edition, no?) :shrug:

Edited by navygz19

Interesting: all the '02 SE's I've sen here have these ones (mine)

The '02 LE's have a 5-spoke variation...'03+ have all the same 5-spoke variants (mine were dropped)

Your right Train...looks like an XE. Maybe that's what accounts for the interesting wheels...can't say I've seen too many XE's around here off-hand (then again, those wheels are probably unique to your Chilkoot Edition, no?) :shrug:

I think is more the difference between Canadian and US versions. The 02 SE I saw in Kamloops, BC also had the same wheels as mine. You need to get to the LE before we see something different (like yours but can not say I have ever counted the spokes).

that is pricey! i bought my qx4 with 70k miles for $13,000

i just saw another 99 qx4 with 110k miles for sale $7000

70,000 miles is about 112,000 km.

Also, we are talking Canadian dollar. Like I posted off-topic, it sucks to be us (sometimes) :D

Finally I bought it (12,500 CAD). There are no noise problems, it's just that I didn't know, as you said, that it's not AWD.

So, I am here now with my questions:

1. When I want 4WD, what should I do? Put the main gearbox in neutral and just switch the lever to 4H or the main shift has to be in D position?

2. Is it true that only premium (94) gasoline should be used?

3. It doesn't have running boards. What is the best place to get them (I have small kids).

Thanks,

Nick

Edited by lee_cha_nin

Finally I bought it (12,500 CAD). There are no noise problems, it's just that I didn't know, as you said, that it's not AWD.

So, I am here now with my questions:

1. When I want 4WD, what should I do? Put the main gearbox in neutral and just switch the lever to 4H or the main shift has to be in D position?

2. Is it true that only premium (94) gasoline should be used?

3. It doesn't have running boards. What is the best place to get them (I have small kids).

Thanks,

Nick

Congrats on the new ride!

BUT

ttiwwop.gif

To answer some of your questions:

You can put it into 4wd (high) by just pulling on the lever at any speed up to 80 kph. But make sure the road is suitable (ie slippery) or you may damage the transfer case. You must stop and put the transmission into neutral when you want 4 low. My Pathy has instructions attached to the back side of the drivers sun visor, take a look there.

No, it does not need premium gas. On both our Pathy and Sienna, premium is "recommended" but we do not use it and we have no issues.

Most people here hate the idea of running boards but I too have small kids and they like/need them. Maybe try a wrecker, Canadian Tire, not sure what else is around (EBay would also be an option).

Feel free to post any other questions, we will be glad to help.

Thanks Trainman, I will post some pictures soon.

So, again, in 4L, if I understand:

1. Stop the vecihle

2. Put it in N

3. Switch to 4L

4? Maybe stupid, but do I have to put it back in D after or it will run with the main gbox in N? :hide:

Edited by lee_cha_nin

Thanks Trainman, I will post some pictures soon.

So, again, in 4L, if I understand:

1. Stop the vecihle

2. Put it in N

3. Switch to 4L

4? Maybe stupid, but do I have to put it back in D after or it will run with the main gbox in N? :hide:

everything is correct but you have to put it back into drive to move, or 1st gear etc.

and also, idk bout r50s (your truck) but with the wds (mine) you have to push the 4x4 shifter down into the floor to get in and out of 4lo

everything is correct but you have to put it back into drive to move, or 1st gear etc.

and also, idk bout r50s (your truck) but with the wds (mine) you have to push the 4x4 shifter down into the floor to get in and out of 4lo

Yes, R50's require the same action.

I would also set the parking brake as well when going into 4L...just a little extra insurance. Don't want to slide backward or forward while shifting :D

All 4wd's have some sort of interlock on the low range, even my dial has to be pushed and turned.

Unless you got the service records for the truck, I would suggest that you do the following as you do not know when (or if) these have been done:

Oil and oil filter change

Fuel filter change

Air filter check and replace if required

Automatic transmission service

Front and rear diff's

Coolant system change

I had to replace my factory battery, but it odd not like coming from the coast to -30 in winter.

These are just routine, and at 150,000 km all of these should have been done at least once already (some, much more so).

Happy motoring!