Lost Reverse, Changed AT Fluid, Reverse is back?!?

Guest dwj119

Guest dwj119

Last week the reverse stop working on my 95 XE AT. I'm up to 90,000 m on the odo. I just bought the truck a little more than 2 months ago and haven't had time to put in an aftermarket trannny cooler. Anyways, the at fluid was brown and didn't smell like good AT fluid, so I changed it and now I have my reverse back. Any idea what happened here and what else I should do aside from putting a new tranny cooler on there pronto? What are the chances that permanent damage to the tranny was done? Recommend selling before it fails again? Plz help!

What was the fluid level before changing? If level was low this could be a problem that may not result in permanent damage. Watch your fluid level every fill-up and try to determine if you have noticeable leaking.

Reverse going away and coming back is not a good sign.

Rather than cleaning the filter I'd suggest just buying a A/T filter kit and putting a fresh filter in there.

I'm guessing your fluid was old AND burnt.

Given the circumstances it might be a good idea to run it a day or two then drain the fluid again and put in fresh fluid. If I'm not mistaken, only a small amount of the total amount of fluid comes out every time you drain it so you have to go through several drain/refill cycles to get your fluid reasonably clean and fresh.

You might also want to think about using a Synthetic ATF.

Unfortunately, your trans. may be on its last legs already.

I replied to this topic on Nissanforums also...losing reverse is the first sign that your transmission is about to die on you. Reverse takes higher line pressure to engage, therefore when your trans starts to wear out and pressures are lower than they are when new, reverse is the first thing to go. New fluid provides a temporary pressure boost, which basically "fixed" your loss of reverse.

Guest dwj119

88PathOffRoad: Would you recommend selling before the tranny goes out completely? I don't think I will have the money to have a new/rebuilt/remanufactured tranny installed. I wonder if advanced auto or autozone has the gasket filter kits.

Just out of curosity was this vehicle used to tow. 90,000 miles and your tranny is going is kinda sad. I wouldn't blame you if you sold it. New tranny fluid and filter is not going to reverse the damage that was already done, it may buy you more time but I can't see it being a lot of time. The fact is the tranny's in these trucks suck and further suck if you do any towing with them.

Guest dwj119

I never used the vehicle to tow, I bought the pathy from a used car dealer, so I don't if it was used previously to tow. Reverse stopped working today. Changing the tranny fluid bought me about 1 days worth of time, dammit. I'm going to try cleaning the filter and change the fluid again to see if that helps.

Guest dwj119

If I do decide to keep the truck, what you guys recommend I do? Rebuild, remanufactured, call the local junkyards, call a transmission repair shop? Whats going to give me the best bang for my buck?

At this point, your transmission is pretty well toast. Your only option is to rebuild or replace it.

The lowest cost option would probably be a known good, used transmission, followed by a rebuild, then remanufactured, then new.

unplug the gray plug under the hood above the passenger wheelwell you will see it bolted to the fender side. Unplug and try out the trans. I was told this was a resistor limiting pressure in the trans and if unplugged the Power light flashed but it creates more pressure inside a worn out trans giving it more time. Mines unplugged and reverse works and slipping is very limited opposed to the way it was before unplugging. def worth a try so unplug take it for a ride and try reverse. let us know how it goes.

Scott

ps before i unplugged this the mechanic put a different resistor inline for an added boost of pressure and it helped but i still had slipping now with it unplugged completely it works very well. This guy learned this on an early 90's maxima and 3 yrs later the maxima is still working so..........

Post Jacking for a second here: some of you mayrememberme thinking my tranny had bit the dust a couple months back. (wouldnt shift into second easily) well now it wont shift to second at all I ordered the solenoids like 88 said it probably was, just havent put em in yet. but a mechanic friend said solenoids almost never go out.....Is it really toast??

dont want to get rid of El but at 230,000 its time to let it die if the tranny's toast

:help: :help: :help:

Guest dwj119

speedbuggy67: That is an interesting tip, I'll give it a try and let you guys know how it works out. Any idea what the name of this plug is? Are you sure it doesn't have any other adverse affects on other parts in the car?

its some sort of resistor plug for the trans only neg effect is you may get a check engine light as the trans guy said but i get a flashing power light on the switch on the dash when the truck it turned on then never flashes again. that plug is only trans related so no ill effects will happen with the rest of the truck. It worked for me and im at 208k now thanks to that mod. It got unplugged around 205k. now i have to shift my attention to the salty winters which did a nice number on the frame.......

scott