General Motors/Nissan

navygz19

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if GM merges witht hem, I'd rather see a pontiac 455 in the engine bay. :D

Pontiac engines are known for creating ungodly torque, which just sounds like lots of fun for off-roading...

you want ungodly torque? get a TD.. if there is any thing chevy in a nissan it will never last.. and i am talking quality and i'll probably never own another nissan product.

These sorts of mergers seem to be al the rage in the corporate world.

In the US, there are now only 4 major railways:

Union Pacific: includes Southern Pacific, Denver and Rio Grande, Western Pacific, Missouri Pacific and a few others;

BNSF: Includes Burlington Northern and all its parts (Great Northern, Northern Pacific, Burlington Route, etc) and Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway

CSX: includes part of Conrail (New York Central, Pennsylvania and others) plus others

Norfolk Southern: includes part of Conrail as well plus others

Automotive industry is no different, they all think bigger is required to compete in the new global economy.

None of the big three have been worth a damn since the late 70's

i would have to agree.. tho my 92 S-10 was the BEST vehicle i have EVER had.. that motor was strong beyond 210,000 with nothing done but valve guide seals, distributor and fuel pump.. all done above 165,000 :bow: but all this new fangled electronic crap is getting WAY outta hand..

Chrysler is on the mend since they teamed up with D.B.

Ford, unfortunately, is never going to go away because their child companies have such a large market stake.

GM is on a very slippery downhill slope and they are in danger of losing much of their market share. They've become desperate to appeal to a wider crowd and are looking to team up with another major automaker to help their image and hopefully get some designers/engineers on board who actually know their ass from a hole in the ground. I have yet to drive a GM product since 1985 (Buick GN :D) that I wasn't utterly disappointed with and felt was a total pile of poo.

but the U.S. auto giant did not need a deal to turn itself around.

Hah! Yeah the hell right!

If you've seen any of the advertisements for GM sales lately, they're giving $4000 rebates on their LOW-END CARS. Their crap isn't selling. Consumers today are far more educated and nit-picky than they were even 5-10 years ago. Especially with the rise in fuel-prices and the decline of the economy. GM has NEVER been on the forefront of economic vehicles....*cough* HUMMER *cough*....even the Aveo can barely muster 35mpg!

I hope Nissan/Renault says...GO SUCK AN EGG! to GM and that GM folds in 4 years like they're supposed to.

Ulterior motive maybe?:

Toyota's clout looms over alliance talks

A Renault-Nissan, GM marriage would bring in cheap manufacturing, slow Japanese growth.

Kae Inoue / Bloomberg News

TOKYO -- Carlos Ghosn's Nissan Motor Co. and Renault SA decided last week to pursue an alliance with General Motors Corp. to slash development and production costs. The real motivation may be to take on a common enemy: Toyota Motor Corp.

"Toyota is so dominant in the global car industry and they are growing so fast and so steadily that no one can really catch up," said Atsushi Osa, who helps oversee $4.1 billion at Sumitomo Mitsui Asset Management Co. in Tokyo. "Ghosn may want to use GM's assets and resources against Toyota."

Toyota, the world's biggest automaker by market value, is speeding up its expansion as GM and Ford Motor Co. close factories and cut jobs. The Toyota City, Japan-based company will spend an average of $1.3 billion every month this year to build at least six factories, including plants in Texas, Russia, Canada, Thailand and China.

Ghosn, 52, could use GM's idle manufacturing capacity to increase production cheaply. An alliance would also help him compete in China, share the cost of developing fuel-cell and gasoline-electric hybrid vehicles and fend off Toyota's expansion in Europe. Billionaire Kirk Kerkorian, 89, GM's fourth-largest investor, proposed the tie-up to help revive the Detroit-based automaker, which had $10.6 billion in losses last year.

more here

Speaking of Nissan quality...

In a separate announcement Wednesday, Nissan North America Inc. said it would recall nearly 201,000 Altima and Sentra sedans from the 2003 model year to fix a faulty sensor that can cause the engine to shut down.

The Nissan recall involves vehicles with 2.5 liter engines. The automaker said changes in temperature can interrupt the signal from a sensor in the engine compartment, leading to an engine stall in low speeds and in stop-and-go traffic.

The automaker said the recall involved 186,279 Altimas and 14,587 Sentras

Last month, Nissan recalled nearly 100,000 Altima and Sentra sedans from the 2006 model year because of excessive oil consumption and reports of two dozen engine fires. The concerns led the automaker to temporarily stop selling the vehicles.

:shrug:

B

Speaking of Nissan quality...

In a separate announcement Wednesday, Nissan North America Inc. said it would recall nearly 201,000 Altima and Sentra sedans from the 2003 model year to fix a faulty sensor that can cause the engine to shut down.

The Nissan recall involves vehicles with 2.5 liter engines. The automaker said changes in temperature can interrupt the signal from a sensor in the engine compartment, leading to an engine stall in low speeds and in stop-and-go traffic.

The automaker said the recall involved 186,279 Altimas and 14,587 Sentras

Last month, Nissan recalled nearly 100,000 Altima and Sentra sedans from the 2006 model year because of excessive oil consumption and reports of two dozen engine fires. The concerns led the automaker to temporarily stop selling the vehicles.

:shrug:

B

Oh geez.

PLEASE B don't get me started on the relentless issues I had with my 02 Sentra SE-R...

Bought brand spanking NEW in June of '02 w/ no miles on it...squeaky clean...

3 and a half years, 2 engines,2 ECM's, 2 intake mani's, a throw out bearing that was completely on the fritz, 3, yes 3 crank position sensor's (that is the sensor you refer to that inadvertently "shuts the engine off" and would-have-been-second-transmission-if-i-didn't-sell-it-for-an-'02-Pathy later, I no longer have that repugnant,useless, complete and utter pile of Japanese engineered, Mexican built sh!t!!!

The B15 chassis Sentra (with the exception on the earlier, 98 or so SE 2.0's...different engine) can die a long, painful, public death. The QR25DE engine engineered for the SE-R's/Alty 4-bangers was a complete waste of time, money, breath and brain power.

With that said, I really don't want to see this merger take place :bow:

No worries ;)

That was the only car I had ever bought "new" in my life and because of the warranty, I was happy I didn't go used. I never paid for ONE repair to it. Though, every time I got it back it was never the same....To it's credit though (and Nissan's as well) it was one of the best looking sport compactgs on the road IMO...

showpic-1.jpg

showpic.jpg