General Motors/Nissan

navygz19

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well...if that happens, you can say goodbye to quality, reliable Nissan products.

Unfortunately, I feel that in the recent years this has been happening with the majority of their products anyways... :mellow:

Don't want to see it happen, though!

Edited by navygz19

On the design front, yes, I'll agree with you.  They've made some seriously wack vehicles.  The new Maxima is retarded looking.

And I'm not even going to begin to get into the rediculous issues I had with my old 2002 Sentra SE-R (QR25DE powered piece of sh!t)

Take a look at the reliability issues people have been having w/ the Titan's and Armada's as well. It's a damn shame.

On the other hand, the R50 Pathy's as well as pre-04 Max's have been nothing short of wonderfully-made vehicles :clap::D

Edited by navygz19

I would be happy if nissan and gm teamed up and came up with another wd21 or r-50 style pathy instead of the new boxy grocery getter. Or maybe somehow they could start offering deisels......patrols.......

as a current owner of a used nissan (2001) and a new gm (2006 pontiac), i can personally attest to how much gm built quality sucks! i will probably pick another brand if this goes through. :confused:

When we first moved to the US (in '84...I was born in Italy) we had a Renault actually...Called a Le Car. It was the goofiest POS I've ever seen...3 speed stick, manual (yes manual) choke, no radio and only a speedometer. But the whole roof was canvas and rolled back, that was sorta neat. Here is a similar one...

534a.jpg

and the interior

534b.jpg

AMC...Gremlin? Pacer? Eagle? Wasn't the Eagle that big station wagon w/ 4wd and huge tires on it? (sort of like the Outbacks of today. Hmmmmm)

I still see some of those from time to time...

The LeCar is also the car from "Dude Where's My Car?"

:D

:lol:

Way back when my older brother was 20 or so (this was in 88-89), he was driving it and we were rear-ended by one of those huge Chevy station wagon's that everyone used to have. That damn LeCar took it like a champ. The rear end was smooshed a bit and the exhaust crimped and dropped, but the land-yacht that hit us wasn't driveable. We drove home, but the drivers seat was busted and laying on the back seat (the force of the crashed broke up all the gears that hold it steady)

The game is afoot:

http://www.cbc.ca/story/business/national/...m-alliance.html

GM agrees to discuss alliance with Renault, Nissan

Last Updated Fri, 07 Jul 2006 13:09:37 EDT

CBC News

The board of directors of General Motors Corp. announced Friday it has agreed to let company management begin preliminary talks on an alliance with Renault SA and Nissan Motor Co.

GM chairman Rick Wagoner will lead the company's efforts to conduct exploratory discussions.

"Given the complexity of any potential relationship, it has to be carefully considered on its merits before coming to any conclusion," Wagoner said in a statment.

Earlier this week, the boards of France's Renault and Nissan of Japan said they had both agreed to discuss a possible alliance with GM — but only if the floundering U.S. giant made the first move.

The possible alliance came to light on June 30 when billionaire U.S. investor Kirk Kerkorian announced that he had written letters to the boards of the three companies suggesting the idea.

In his letter to GM, Kerkorian said he urged the Detroit automaker to "immediately and fully explore this opportunity together with management" as it could help GM "realize substantial synergies and cost savings and thereby greatly benefit the company and enhance shareholder value."

Kerkorian's investment company, Tracinda Corp., is GM's fourth biggest shareholder, with a 9.9 per cent interest. Renault owns a 44.4 per cent stake in Nissan, which in turn owns a 15 per cent stake in Renault. The French government owns 15 per cent of Renault.

And more (love the line about a coalition of losers :D )

Opinon piece from CBC:

Full article here (it is long): http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/realityc...07sheppard.html

INDEPTH: REALITY CHECK

Is America's carmaker up for brie and sushi?

Interesting quote from the above:

"If this deal goes through, a combined GM-Renault-Nissan would manufacture nearly a quarter of the vehicles on the planet, well ahead of Toyota with about 14 per cent. But in some ways it has to be seen as a coalition of losers.

In the June numbers that just came out, GM's sales were down 26 per cent from a year ago in the U.S., Nissan was off 19 per cent and Renault was down 3.2 per cent worldwide.

The difference among them is that Renault and Nissan are profitable and GM is decidedly not (though it did edge back into the black this first quarter of 2006). General Motors is the world's largest maker of automotive vehicles and a behemoth by almost any account.

But its share price has fallen so low, its market capitalization is only about $17 billion US, compared to Renault's $31 billion US, and Nissan, the poor sister among the Japanese carmakers, at $49 billion US."