starting problems

FLApathy

ok, my truck wont start again, the first time was a bad connection, the second time was a the coil and the so was the third, now it wont start again, it just clicks when i turn the key, im so freakin mad right now i just cant think, is my starter bad or what, i changed oil today, lol

also she overheats EVERYTIME i drive it

The only time me starter died was right after an oil change. Gotta put a rag over it before you pull the filter. keep it clean, gravity hates you!

overheating how long? how old is the T'stat and H2o pump?

I did notice about two weeks ago we got our 1st hot summer days. 95deg+ the temperature gauge goes almost to halfway point now. Used to hover around a quarter of the way up. It was a noticeable difference. Not overheating though.

after about 10 mintues of driving its almost oof the scale. H20 is new. T'stat, beats the $#&% outta me

oh and my drivers side CV joint welded its self together today

Edited by FLApathy

Ok, about the starting... Is the clicking just one or kind of a click, click, click ??

The first may be a relay so check the connetions there first. A rapid clicking is usually the selinoid. This can be due to a weak battery (check first), bad connections (same symptoms, check all major battery/starter and ground- second), starter failing (whack the selinoid a few times and try again repeat a few times), remove and clean the starter with brake/electrical cleaner (mine took 2 cans and it still worked !-third) then reinstall or have it bench tested (fourth), your choice.

Overheating... Is it a steady overheat regardless of anything or just when going slow ? If it's just slow, check the fan clutch. Spin it by hand, it shouldn't turn more than a 1/4-1/2 turn once you let go. All the time regardless ? How's the inside of the radiator look ?? Crusted up or clean ? Crust can seriously insulate the radiator. Did you 'burp' the radiator? Some there is a valve in the top line or on the block by the T-stat I think, I'll look it up. People have complained of getting faulty T-stats brand new. If you have a faulty one, you have no flow. People have installed a good T-stat backwards, same results. Check all of this out, I tried to list in order of easiest to hardest. Don't drive it if it keeps overheating, heads can cost you.

Is the waterpump belt tight or even there ?

Don't get tense or upset, just go down the list and disqualify the items one by one. Even new cars have issues, get used to dealing with them practically and it will save you a lot of grief. Whenever I get tense while wrenching, I take a break; it is totally counterproductive. Keep us informed and good luck.

B

way to kill a thread B. :) great advice..

did you 4wheel today or something? cv job isn't too hard and you might as well look over all the parts there while you're in there.

Edited by mzxtreme

way to kill a thread B.  great advice..

LOL, it almost sounds like I've been there a few times... :D But I didn't kill it, I forgot this...

oh and my drivers side CV joint welded its self together today

Like MZ said, been wheeling ?? Your CV's shouldn't turn if you are not in 4WD, therefore no welding. That is unless your auto hubs are not disingaged. That would probably be due to lack of maintenence or maybe damaged parts. Lift up the front of the truck (in 2WD) and spin the front wheels. If the CV's turn, there is an issue with the hubs. They aren't too hard to deal with, but we'll wait for feedback before I post a link as to what to do.

B

yeah i did some wheelin today, im a teen and i live in the south, my CV has been bad for awhile im just to poor to fix it, i know how to change it done a few times before, my truck started without doing anything to it, i think what happened was the starter got water in it and just stopped working until dried out

and yeah i know the 'lists' ive done them a million times, i just got bumed out about doing it agian and life aint goin good right now so i said screw it, i think imma get a new starter for the jy, clean it up good and then get a relo kit for the filter, thanks for the help though

oh about the overheating, it does it no matter what, if i drive it goes about 75% of the way up, i replaced my H20 pump twice, i think my fan clutch is toast and so is the tstat, imma try to find one in the jy and see if that helps so i dont have to tear down to the tstat

Edited by FLApathy

how many miles in your truck.. if over a hundred and it's the stock one, you might wanna pull the t-stat to at least test it.. you'll need a thermometer that goes to ~200F though. that's way cheaper then warped heads.

yeah i did some wheelin today, im a teen and i live in the south, my CV has been bad for awhile im just to poor to fix it, i know how to change it done a few times before, my truck started without doing anything to it, i think what happened was the starter got water in it and just stopped working until dried out

Ok, so it was no suprise that the CV failed, and you just drowned the starter. A Can of WD-40 will serve you well...

and yeah i know the 'lists' ive done them a million times, i just got bumed out about doing it agian and life aint goin good right now so i said screw it, i think imma get a new starter for the jy, clean it up good and then get a relo kit for the filter, thanks for the help though

You are welcome, but if you knew all that, why did you invite me to waste my time ??

oh about the overheating, it does it no matter what, if i drive it goes about 75% of the way up, i replaced my H20 pump twice, i think my fan clutch is toast and so is the tstat, imma try to find one in the jy and see if that helps so i dont have to tear down to the tstat
H20 is new. T'stat, beats the $#&% outta me

Sorry, I read that as you had replaced the T-stat. I dont have enough info to say yes, the T-stat is 'toast'. Test the fan clutch before you think, and it's not the H20 pump. Same with the starter... Sheesh !

B

i can see B has things under control.... so i will simply say..... glad it started but take it from me.... overheating = EXPENSE........ and you yourself said you're BROKE. FIX IT.... like ...... now. ;):P

Ok, so it was no suprise that the CV failed

no @!*%

why did you invite me to waste my time ??

i dont think i invited you to do anything

Sheesh !

sorry for your time

how many miles in your truck.. if over a hundred and it's the stock one

yeah im pretty sure its the stock unit, my rad has some scale in it imma see if i can take it to my dads work and take the fluid out so i can run a hose through it

and as for the CV, i didnt ask about it, i was just saying that it did, cuzz i think its neat

Edited by FLApathy

open your radiator cap, start the engine. wait till the T-stat opens and make sure that rad is full. These nissan v6engines are a PITA when it comes to getting all the air out of the engine.

make sure that the flow looks like a river inside after its warm and that the water is right up to the top

everybody i have spoke to had this problem after changeing T-stat, water pump, or drained the coolant.

open your radiator cap, start the engine. wait till the T-stat opens and make sure that rad is full. These nissan v6engines are a PITA when it comes to getting all the air out of the engine.

make sure that the flow looks like a river inside after its warm and that the water is right up to the top

everybody i have spoke to had this problem after changeing T-stat, water pump, or drained the coolant.

I've done it two or three times with no problems. :D