nonpathy related battery question...

iLLlegal

well as some of you might know I went to my grandma's yesterday to boost her car that was dead. She got a new battery put in like 2weeks ago because of it dieing all the time...and it still is.

so I go over there and I hook all the jumpers up and turn it over..it started pretty quick...but before that charge I had nothing..no lights no power at all...

I drove the car around for 15min then gave it back to her.

Its DEAD AGAIN today.

I just want some input of what things to look for to try and solve this one....like my grandma was even talking about getting a new car because it keeps dying.

dunno if this should be in the garage section :unsure:

so yeah, can anyone point me in the right direction. and i did "search" all that came up was people saying you need a new battery haha. :wacko:

im going over there in prolly an hr to jump it again .... :oops:

Some things come to my mind:

1) No charge to the battery, should get the charging system checked out (maybe the old battery was actually OK, was this checked when the new one was put in?)

2) Some parasitic drain, like an interior light (trunk, glove box). Make sure all the lights go out when they should.

3) Defective battery

Good luck, these can be a PITA if not something simple.

All of the above, but first, check all the connections, positive and ground all the way to the starter and at the alternator... I've had corroded/intermittent connections mess with me like this before. Good luck and give Grandma a hug.

B

GREAT now its making a clicking noise from the starter...that means the starter is the cluprit? i forgot what that ment. like all the accessories and lights inside the car work?

but then again i give her a jump and she starts right up :shrug: I just told her if it does this again take it to a mechanic. ooo and i gave her a hug. :takebow:

Check the light in the trunk and glove box. You might have to look at it at night.

Cost me $75 bucks once to be told my glove box light wasn't turning off. The fix was to remove the bulb.

Tallk about feeling stupid!

yeah i might go back at night and check ALL the lights. there are some red marker lights on the doors that might be staying on. i already made sure the dome light was turned off and for her NOT to touch it. ill mabey to the run through tonight.

the clicking is most likely from low battery especially since you can jump it just fine.. charge it fully next time..

if it has a clock or a radio maybe one of those sturted to suck the juice really bad... i think that's what was going on with my f150 at one time although i never really figured it out.. since i didn't drive it all the time i just unhooked the battery between the times i used it.. obviously that's not really the solution here.. keep us posted on how it turns out..

:aok: on the hug. :D

• 1 month later...

all right well I have an update. after some time. but now im STUCK again!

grandma cant drive anymore due to loss of licence so the car is at our house now. so I got ahold of a digital multimeter and started pulling fuses and checking the amps.

it was draining at 0.28 which is bad.. i found out the ecu is taking 0.05amps but thats normal.

and guess what the culprit was!!! the DOME LIGHT. yes its sucking the battery but its NOT on. i pulled that fuse and everything is fine.

so my question now is, what do I do haha. were do you think the draining is coming from FROM the light as it isnt lighting up and everything is off. yes I could just leave that fuse out buuut im going to be selling the car and Id like that to work...

any suggestions??

well it doesnt seem like the bulb is the causing it. i removed it and checked and no change. ill try and find some wiring diagrams for the camry today and track down the soarce

You're doing well with the multimeter!

The wire to the dome light has a pinch short in it. Somewhere between the fuse and the light bulb.

Not a big short, but a tiny cut or worn through area where just a tiny bit of the copper conductor is touching a ground. Probably pinched under a carpet, or most likely where it passes through a hole in the sheetmetal.

Put a bulb and fuse in it so it lights up, and then try to track that wire and wiggle it and press it wherever you can. If you were real lucky, you might be able to short it out just a bit more so it blows the fuse and the light goes out. The problem is right where you last touched or pressed.

Most cars have ground switched dome lights. So the hot wire will run from the fuse to the light. It may be easiest to just replace this wire.

Edited by mws