RS5000 Fitment Issue

AssBeard

I am trying to install my Rancho RS5000 rear shocks (Rancho part number: RS5116) and they don't fit. The mounting area is too narrow compared to the OEM shocks. At first I thought the guys at www.4x4parts.com sent me the wrong ones. When I questioned Rancho technical support they confirmed that they are the wrong shocks for my 97 SE and said that they don't make a 5000 series for this year Pathy. He said the ones I have are for the Frontier/Xterra.

I KNOW some of you guys have 5000s on your 97's, so what's the deal? Did you guys just leave the shock installed with the extreme left-to-right movement, or did you install some kind of rubber or nylon spacer in there to keep everything tight???

:help:

Edited by AssBeard

I know Tyler just installed a set of RS5000s on his 98. I'll let him explain what he did.

You absolutely do not want to have the side-to-side movement in there. That'll cause all kinds of headaches for you down the road.

I'm thinking it would be easier to send these 5000's back to 4x4parts and get some that are made for the 97 Pathys.....

I'm kind of bothered by the fact that they advertise the 5000's as being able to fit on my car.

Guess I'll start on the front suspension while I wait on a solution to this issue......

Edited by AssBeard