Pulled in to the Garage!

Filthy Luker

So the parental unit left for Europe for a month. That means I get to house sit and have access to the garage and her ride. Lot's of work ahead of me, I am starting the season little late but high priority work on Nissie's truck kinda pushed me back a bit. No worries, I'll make up for it in the next few weeks.

So I backed Whitey into the garage, waved goodbye to her for tonight and I am gonna do some drinking while I think of the tasks ahead.

Here's what needs to be done and will be in the next few weeks:

- fix both lower control arm bushings/pivots

- fix both upper control arm bushings/pivots

- replace the passenger side wheel hub as the manual hub studs snapped inside

- take out the rear diff and get it welded up

- fabricate a CO2 tank holding bracket for the inside

- do up some wiring for extra 12v plug, new lights, accessories and inverter so they don't flap around

- remove the seats, take out the carpet and fix any holes and rust spots underneath... also paint the floors with rockerguard or rhinoliner

- got new CRX Recaros from a buddy... the current CRX seats broke off the mounts.

- trim the fenders and reinstall fender flares properly so they don't rip off on trails from tires rubbing

- fix some rust spots on the rockers and paint it nicely

- install the ARB compressor

- install the transmission temperature and oil pressure gauges i bought a while ago

- install the electric cooling fan i got a while back from the junkyard

- reinstall the black panther skid plates with the sexy rockwashers that Marcel sent... the man kicks ass!

- purchase new tires for the front as the current ones are worn down on the insides from my camber being like / \ for last 6 months

- fab up new mount for my laptop (GPS setup) cause the old one cracked when I sat on it after I took it off... this time i won't make it out of plexiglass.

- replace my winch as the current one is TOAST... I have to be very nice to the service and returns counter people at Princess Auto.

here's what I'd like to do at the same time:

- make a custom steering stabilizer

- do up a custom 1.5" body lift on the truck (i have UHMWPSFDENNCK!#412ISFS34 cutting board material for that)

- do up custom front and rear bumpers

- cut off my sliders... add gussets to them and reweld them (the pinch seam is taking a beating!)

- install my stereo properly.. i have two Alpine amps and a sweet set of 8" OZ Audio subs waiting to go in. It will require purchasing new speakers for the doors and making a custom rear speaker and sub enclosure that's actually trail worthy.

So tomorrow the rear diff and front suspension is getting torn out. Stay tuned.

EDIT:

Tire wear due to CRAPPY NISSAN IFS... insides are pretty much bald.

IMG_9084.JPG

Edited by Filthy Luker

Thats pretty ambitious if you have a job or a life, heaven forbid both !! Good luck though, Whitey will be even whiter then !!

UHMWPSFDENNCK!#412ISFS34

WTF is that ?? The first 4 are clear, the next 2 mean poly styrene unless it goes from there. What is it you are using in other than manufacturers nomenclature ?

B

Thats pretty ambitious if you have a job or a life, heaven forbid both !! Good luck though, Whitey will be even whiter then !!

WTF is that ?? The first 4 are clear, the next 2 mean poly styrene unless it goes from there. What is it you are using in other than manufacturers nomenclature ?

B

I will have to work for sure but I have a feeling that I am gonna be celibate for next little while.

Oh and I remembered the first 4 characters of this but then i forgot the rest and went mental on my keyboard. :hide:

So I ripped the 3rd member out.

First the halfshafts are out

IMG_9093.JPG

The driveshaft is disconnected

IMG_9094.JPG

The bolts holding the 3rd are out and the third is loose

IMG_9095.JPG

3rd is out!

IMG_9096.JPG

There she is... Nissan/Hitachi H233B rear diff. 233mm = 9.2" or so ring gear diameter. This bastards strong.

IMG_9098.JPG

Spider gears... what a goddamn useless invention.

IMG_9100.JPG

The stock LSD is very good... 260+ ft/lbs breaking force unfortunately it's useless as soon as you lift a tire up off the ground.

IMG_9103.JPG

So I am having a guy weld this sucker up. None of that on/off locker bull@!*% that can fail or needs maintenance. Lincoln Locker is the way to go. Plus you get to impress the FINE LADIEZZZ when you pull into a ricer meet chirping your tires as you make it into a parking spot. Booyaaa!

yeah, im getting a detroit for th back. even with the modded lsd with 1.5 discs added it isnt good for @!*% once you lift a tire.

for the trans temp gauge, are you going to drill and tap the pan? i had originally machined up a manifold to stick the sender in line just before the inlet of my cooler. i think now i plan on dropping the pan and drilling/tapping it in there

LOL, spider gears= those things that have been sitting on my bench for several months. Locker is a beatiful thing, whether Lincoln, LockRight (mine), or other. And much fun in the rain or snow if nobody is around. sly

BTW, why did you let your alignment go for so long as to toast the tires? Beside rotating and slightly toasting them all, were you holding out for SAS or just too stubborn to buy beefier parts? P...

BTW, why did you let your alignment go for so long as to toast the tires?  Beside rotating and slightly toasting them all, were you holding out for SAS or just too stubborn to buy beefier parts?  P...

To be honest I have no idea. I have a custom L&P steering system and brand new balljoints and tie rods. So far, I was hoping that whatever i replaced so far was gona fix it... Quite honestly tires are actually cheaper than fixing Nissan front end.

EDIT: yea i am NOT bitter with Nissan and their crappy suspension design.

Edited by Filthy Luker

Dropped the torsion bars yesterday.... and took off lots of other stuff around.

IMG_9110.JPG

How the hell do I take out the pivot bolts... they're really seized.. I tried torch, liquid wrench... the heads are almost mushroomed from me banging at them with a sledgehammer.

Is there an easy way to this? Or do I just cut the bolts with a sawzall and worry about getting the parts of them out when the lower control arms are off the vehicle...

IMG_9112.JPG

IMG_9113.JPG

Oh and I remembered the first 4 characters of this but then i forgot the rest and went mental on my keyboard

LOL, well you had me mystified... :D UHMW is ultra high molecular weight (PE) poly ethylene which is tough stuff indeed. PS would be poly styrene meaning you are making something out of styrofoam... :D

I am gonna go to my Nissan dealer to press the old crap out. $30 is better than half a day of pain and suffering.

The right size bar stock, socket, etc, some bracing and a bottle jack goes a long way. $30 is worth not dealing with it, but you could do it yourself fairly easily; you're clever...

I have no idea about the bolts, not having done that work myself, but well done so far and good luck !!! Keep taking the picts for us please... ;)

B

it might be easier to cut them, and get the LCA off and then punch them out. Havent done it, but its just a thought, no need to possibly damage your LCA in the process tho!!!

good luck man, i feel ya, still wish i had the time to do that to mine tho...it definately needs it......

sam

Yea i called the service manager at my Nissan Dealer and he said they just cut those buggers off. sly I got my sawzall last night from my place.

Oh and my diff is ready for pickup.. I may have it tonight.

Edited by Filthy Luker

my fault, i read it wrong...some how i thought you wrote "i just got my front diff back..."

my fault...well tell me how that goes...if you end up liking the chirping or if you end up hating it....

personally i am saving up for the detroit...

He'll like it until he tries to parallel park on a hot day, heh. My old Impulse had a welded rear and it was interesting making tight slow turns. Sometimes it made the whole car hop a little.

Yea.... This is a third welded rear end in our little group of Nissan wheelers with three more at least coming up soon (not counting mine). I've driven the two of the ones that are welded and they're quite acceptable as soon as you remember to coast through anything resembling a turn. And yea... parking's a bitch. sssh