Alternator Protection or shield?

delavoie

Hey everyone.. I had my alternator go out on me last weekend during a long day of trail riding.

The light came on, and i managed to drive off the battery for the entire day.

When i got home put the garden hose in it for a few minutes, and the next day it seemed to be fine again.

But what a bad place for a alternator! Has anyone tought about maybe making alittle shield for it, so mud doesn't get kicked up as easy.

That seems to be the only problem when going in deep mud or water..ohh and the rad too, it got covered with mud & grass and almost made the truck overheat.

I think i have the fix for the rad.. just going to attach a piece of window screen to stop the bigger mess from covering the rad.

ok thanks greg..

When i got under the engine, i noticed that there's really no protection or cover for teh alternator. They could have atleast used some of that rubber skirting to try and cover it abit.

How hot does the alternator get?

Concerning the screen.. a jeep that was running with me that day had it on is rad.. after we went into that big hole that took out my alternator, he unclipped the screen and shaked it off to get all the big chunks of mud & grass off.. then put it back on for the next hole. It kept his rad nice and clean compared to everyone else that was overheating after that hole. It was just bad swampy mud water..

the only place you could possibly put some form of "shield" would be below the alternator, if you block either the front or back of it, you're more than likey to overheat the alternator or get stuff stuck in there that would normally come out.

if you don't need your a/c........ do that swap to raise it up. sly

I will take a pic, there was a rubber flap that goes under the alt. It attached to the front "skid" plate, I think? I will look in the am.

Zack

Humm... now I know what is missing in the front skid plate of my truck...

I saw some kind of attaching points, but didn't know what was that for... ;)

My 1992 Terrano diesel motor must be the other way up to what you guys have in your US V6 Pathys. My AC compressor is at the bottom and the alternator is nice and high up out of harms way.

Who said Australia was the Land Down Under.

You could try fitting a decent bash plate to help stop the mud (as mentioned above).

dsc01700wf.th.jpg

I have also been thinking of adding extra rubber protection to the sides of my bash plate.

Edited by geordie4x4