Tips...

Pathfinder-jay

Here I would assume that you guys would enjoy talking about your trucks, and such.

Anyway.

Our 93 was gettin about 12mpg. (pretty bad) had very little get up and go, etc. Spent a weekend, did plugs, wires, rotor, cleaned out the intake and the throttle body, removed the silly "boot" thing for the intake (it was there to quiet it down I suppose). Highway now she gets about 21mpg. It feels more powerful and as such is able to pull its own heavy ass down the highway a bit easier.

My plans next are either removing the cat or gutting it, and installing a nice Flowmaster muffler, or equivalent.

Just seems these engines are so choked, that it seems to help even just unrestricting its breathing a little bit.

just seems these engines are so choked, that it seems to help even just unrestricting its breathing a little bit.

i swapped in a VK56DERTT and it gave some more power, they bolt right up to the pathy tranny

My plans next are either removing the cat or gutting it, and installing a nice Flowmaster muffler, or equivalent.

Just seems these engines are so choked, that it seems to help even just unrestricting its breathing a little bit.

Well yes and no. To an extent opening up the exhaust will give you more hp but open it up to much and you kill your backpressure, ie you actually lose hp and torque! Your best bet is to go with headers 2 1/4" or 2.5" pipe, a high flow cat, and your muffler of choice. :aok:

For the 88's transworldmoto showed me a cool trick: take the intake off of the fender and flip it around so it draws air from above the headlight. You get colder air and (maybe) a ram air effect. :aok: Just remember to flip it back when it rains...

Absolutely ! An engine is really just an air pump. Make it breathe and fart well...

I rarely do engine mods, just aspiration and exhaust work. That alone can liven up most any motor while retaining the bone stock reliability, sometimes improving on it !

That said VWF, sounds like yours was suffering from some neglect... I'm glad that you got her running well again. :beer:

B

Jay, whether you decide to leave or stay is your choice. I'm sorry not everyone can be as civil as we might like, but I've also had to bite my tongue before and not post anything at all on some of your posts. It just seems like I've seen the same questions asked many times before. Using the search function is a pain at times, but if you read some tips on doing searches you can do what you want fairly easily and quickly. I hope things go well for your rebuild, it's a very large project and I'm sure you'll end up with a really great Pathfinder that will be exactly the way you like it.

Other than that, I believe this thread has run it's course. Goodnight.

Well yes and no. To an extent opening up the exhaust will give you more hp but open it up to much and you kill your backpressure, ie you actually lose hp and torque! Your best bet is to go with headers 2 1/4" or 2.5" pipe, a high flow cat, and your muffler of choice. :aok:

For the 88's transworldmoto showed me a cool trick: take the intake off of the fender and flip it around so it draws air from above the headlight. You get colder air and (maybe) a ram air effect. :aok: Just remember to flip it back when it rains...

Which probably came from one of Aarons (88PathOffroad) websites :aok:

Cheap Ram Air Mod